My daughter has a learning disabilty.

Finally the tests came back. She scored high on all the tests. I wish I could copy it for you here. She can't retain the instructions given to her. She needs more time to finish tests. Sh can't focus on the task at hand. So,next year she will be put in special education classes. This last part of the school year she will be in ISP. a 45 minute class that will give her extra time on her tests and go over the class work with her. She is failing for the second year in the ninth grade. I am happy this is all over with and she can get the help she needs.
I have a girl also that has some disabilities also that sound some what familiar. We did not have a good experience with our school and I had to pull her out to home school to really help her a long. We do cyber school and she is doing so well it is amazing. I would like to suggest to you to call your states school board and ask for them to send you their booklet that has the rules regulations and rights that are owed to your daughter. We did this and where amazed at how much our girl wasn't getting that the school should have supplied. Good luck with your situation.
I have another meeting tomorrow at the school. I will look into this as well. Thanks
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Wow, I'm sorry it took until 9th grade to identify that, but at least they are aware of it now. Don't let the school district walk all over your rights though, some will try.
@newtalent (1114)
Yes, they will, It is always someone else's job. Or we do not have enough funding, not enough staff, and all of the other lines and bs they pull to pass the buck to someone else.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
We ran into a lot of that in Los Angeles, not so much here (El Dorado County - Sacramento area).
I won't let this happen. I am all over this one. Thanks so much
@carmelanirel (20979)
That's great, now she can do the potenical that she was meant to do..
I am hoping she will buckle down and get the help she needs. Well take the help she will get.
It is a start gifts. Just remember, one steo at a time..:)
i'm glad she was tested! My oldest who is 7.5 was labeled in January as SLD (subject learning disability) instead of being pulled out for just extra help in Math & reading she now gets an LD teacher for 30 min a day.. Though she is nearly a year behind in some aspects of those subjects simply because she is behind in speaking. She could not speak in sentances until she was 4 & only wanted to say a handful of words & speaking is tied in with reading. They were trying to say she may have ADD but have never gotten the final draft of her iep yet to give to the ped. However, no matter the outcome she will not be on meds. She says shes bored and the subjects are boring to her & they were to me when I was in school too. But if you don't learn them you can't expect even hold a job at McDonalds.
My daughter refused the option of meds as well. I told them I will not force her to tak them either. I am happy so happy right now. Thanks very much. I am glad your daughter is doing well too.
@la_chique (1499)
Hey, its great that you're getting some answers. Thats often the most difficult thing just to get people to listen to you. Hope you can now help her to get the help she needs. Well done so far, and good luck
I am so pleased as well. Thanks for the support.
@newtalent (1114)
Hi I have followed some of your discussions on you and your daughter and am glad to hear that you have answer that is workable to find a solution that can help you guys both. I have read your frustrations. Its been hard and at times it has brought tears to my eyes. I hope this will be the beginning of a new road that you guys can take together and work with one another rather that against each other. Sometimes getting clarification of a problem makes it easier to deal with the issues that are driving us crazy. Its amazing how a child has to fail for the system to work for them. You have to show them a pattern and it is hard to see your child suffer from that. I mean 2 years later is an awfully long time to say wait there is a problem here folks, lets take a closer look at this.. She has missed a vital part of her life. Not to mention the strain it has put on the family as a whole. I do not know but, i would still want to know what else can be done to bring her up to par to pass this year. I do not give up easy. I fight the school system if they are not listening. I want the people responsible for not seeing the problem be held accountable for their actions or lack of their actions. I am something that cannot be said here when it comes to my child and I know there is a problem that I cannot fix on my own. I could go on but I am sure you get the picture. Now it you two both against the world, you still have to have patience, love, support, and i am sure you guys will get through this together like a loving family. Limits will still be tested since teens are still figuring out who they are and how they fit in regardless of any other issues they are having. Just take it one day at a time, learn to relax, have faith, and things have a way of working themselves out in time. Take care you guys!
I went to the school in 2008 for this test. It was some how lost in the system. it was a blessing I went back to have this done. They are in a meeting now to see how they can pass her this year with the extra help she will get. it will start after the school break. Thank you so very much for caring.
@lelin1123 (15643)
• Puerto Rico
Its great that they finally found out the problem. Its a shame that it took so long to figure this out. She could have been getting the extra help she needed in grammer school. I hope she will now do better in school and it will help her to be a happy confident young lady with good self esteem. Good luck to you!
I hope this will be the case. I know she needs to feel better about herself. Thanks
• Denmark
It was very nice to hear that finally your daughter finally get help, for I had an experience with someone all his life he was misunderstood..at first they taught that the child has some late development, he was always misunderstood by his classmates and whats worst was that even his family misunderstood him.. Lately his behavior becomes worst and they went to see doctors and specialist and later thye realize that he has learning disability. I pity the child for the past 19 years of his existence he was misunderstood, but now im very happy that he is finally seeking treatment and I believe its never too late
@bulastika (5967)
I don't get it. How cam she get a high score in all the test if she has a learning disability? I don't know your daughter. But for me as she already reach second year then I think she is only slow but not retarded. Why send her to a special education class? I think what see need is support. Sometimes what she need is just good environment and proper teaching and study guide. I hope for the best for your child.