Oh Come On Now People

@laglen (19782)
Rep. Cantor's Richmond Campaign Office Shot at Overnight http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/03/25/rep-cantors-richmond-campaign-office-shot-overnight/ Republican Rep. Eric Cantor's Richmond campaign office was shot at Wednesday night, Fox News has learned, the latest in a rash of apparent threats and acts of intimidation against members of Congress. Fox News has also obtained a threatening message left Friday on the voicemail of Rep. Jean Schmidt, R-Ohio. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/03/fbi-investigating-threats-against-democrats-after-health-care-vote/1 Hoyer said that he did not know the exact number but estimated "more than 10" Democrats had received some kind of threat or harassment. I know our idiot, Betsy Markey, has gotten armed guards at her office. I am adamantly against the health care bill, but certainly not enough to harm anybody, let alone threaten. Our right to defend ourselves does not mean this. These quacks that are harming, threatening, and menacing are detrimental to the cause. I hope people do not think that this is the feelings of everybody opposed to the bill. We will not solve a thing with this type of action.
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
what... THE... FACK?! Come ON people...what is wrong with you all? Seriously, what do these people think they are going to acomplish? For the first time in my life, I am truly afraid for my country. This was not the country I went to bed in sunday night. This is not going to do ANYHTING but bring a hammer down on the populace.
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Being a militia member is not nessesarily a bad thing. It is a term that is tossed around far too casualy and equated with "domestic terrorist" and nothing could be further form the truth. I KNOW militia members...not one of them has ever advocated the arbitrary violence we are seeing, it is utterly contrary to their purpose and charter. It certainly isn't their function to "take out federal officers". Besides, I don't recall that the blogger you mentioned was a "militia member". He was an organizer for a local tea party group...but even most of them shun this type of behavior...and now hopefully shun the blogger for being an idiot. I hold no one responsable for the vandalism but the people who committed the act. If I am wrong. then by all means let me know and update my info...what state was his militia chartered in?
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
I did a quick peek around...he was...repeat WAS a member of the Alabama Constitutional Militia. And since he has been encouraging people to to commit acts of violence..I can see why he is a FORMER member. No legitimate chartered militia condones, encourages or advocates this type of behavior. It is completely contrary to their charter and established purpose.
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
I hope I didn't come across as jumping all over you, I apologize if I did. It's just a pet peve of mine is all. I have watched so many groups of decent honest patriots demonized and called out right murderers because of the ignorance that exists and that is pushed by the media. I see you posted at the same time i did, so you were alrady adressing things as I was posting my own update. Thank you for clarifying though.
From what I can see Cantor was against the healthcare bill....so whoever shot at his office was mad at him for his vote against it. He has been very vocal about being against it. In fact he is from Virgina...one of the first state's to file a lawsuit against the feds for the mandate. Maybe it was someone who was mad about the lawsuit. Which Cantor has nothing to do with. The AG of the state decided to do it. Schmidt also was against the bill. Ohio is one of the states fighting the mandate too. So it looks like this is over the states' fighting the mandate. Once again Schmidt has nothing to do with the lawsuit. It is the AG. This is crazy. It looks like both sides are getting violant now. This is beyond wrong. Both sides need to take a deep breath and calm down. There are non-violant way to deal with these things. There is no need for violance.
@laglen (19782)
I dont care what the reason for unreasonable acts. The fact is, nothing will be done in this type of atmosphere. I agree to call your reps on their vote, but NEVER EVER resort to violence.
Amen to that!! Here's hoping that people will heed the warnings that we do not descend into threats and violence. The stories out of Iraq note taht they are becoming a better democracy as they are learning to make changes and meet public policy issues with words not violence. Aren't we a more developed democracy/republic than, say, Iraq?
@laglen (19782)
I think we may have been. I hope each person responsible for these actions, are taken off of the streets.
@anniepa (27238)
You're absolutely right, nothing will be solved by this kind of nonsense. It's every bit as wrong no matter which "side" does it. Nobody with half a brain would think everybody who is opposed to the health care bill condone this kind of behavior. This stuff is really getting scary, though. I'm getting to the point where I'm afraid to watch my TV when someone is speaking publicly or even around the Capitol about the health care bill. I have no desire to see something bad happen to ANY public official or anyone else on live TV. I don't know how or if this can be stopped at this point but one thing that's really bothering me is when so many statements are made basically to condemn these threats and acts of violence and vandalism but there's always the "but people are angry" inserted. I'm sorry, this infuriates me, the more I hear it from different people the angrier I get! It doesn't matter that "people are angry"; it doesn't matter at this point WHAT they're angry about. This crap is wrong, wrong, WRONG!! Annie
Amen annie...(standing on my chair clapping like crazy)
@laglen (19782)
wow three of us in one response - all agreeing. Maybe for the greater good? maybe for peace? Maybe THAT is what this country is about! I love you guys!
I love you guys too. LOL
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Ok, this is to anyone on the internet who may come across this.... STOP THE VIOLENCE IMMEDIATLY. Please, bear this in mind. Untill you get a call or knock on your door from your state government, calling you up in to service in defense of your state, there is no justification for any act of violence. ONLY until such a time that you are under the command of your state legislature or governor, any act of violence will be considered a crime....an unjustified criminal act, punishable by law and deservedly shunned by society and your peers. You are not hero's, you are not "patriots".....you are criminals.
@laglen (19782)
you said you have friends in a militia? good, keep their number handy
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Yeh, right across the river in Vermont....NH's constitution technicly does not allow a standing military on it's soil. We do have a "state guard" in the process of chartering though, this is basicly a fully state sanctioned militia under the authority of the state legislature. They are still working on the details of making it a piece of legislation that will exist in consistency with our state constitution as of yet though.
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
Our state constitution does give the legislature to call forth a militia should the need arise, we just can't have a standing one. Basicly if the need comes up, the legislature enacts it and starts recruiting every eligbale person as described in the clause.
It seems that Cantor's office wasn't shot at after all. http://bit.ly/bSnDbH According to police, someone shot into the air and the bullet hit Cantor's office window on the way down.
@laglen (19782)
Interesting, thank you for the update!
@sid556 (31005)
I was kind of surprised to see just how many threats of violence there were over this issue. I understand that people are very worked up and have very strong opinions regarding the healthcare bill but threats and violence are only going to serve to be a distraction. They will not cause anyone that matters to pause and listen. nothing good can come of it.
@laglen (19782)
I agree, about the only thing to come of it, is more overcrowding of our jails.
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
The latest news says this was a shot fired into the air that hit a window. But they didn't say it wasn't shot there on purpose so we don't know if it was a targeted attack or not. This is wrong. The threatening phone calls are wrong. All of it is wrong but the good part is that this is not representative of the majority of either side. There are 300 million people in the US and somewhere in those hundreds of millions are a few nutso creeps. This is getting a lot of attention and it's probably not a good idea to give the nuts a lot of attention. I don't think there is any organized movement to threaten or harm elected officials on either side. I don't think that any elected official on either side has to apologize for the fact that some fringe nut decided to act badly. No one has encouraged this, no one is advocating violence of any kind. What worries me more than the acts of some random nutcases is the tendency of the media and yes, even those elected officials, to make this some kind of crusade against one political side or the other. That is very dangerous. If the nuts knew they were making the other side look better, they would stop if they were rational people. But they're not rational people. Which takes me back to my point. These are not the actions of anyone who represents a large number of people on either side. They are random, irrational acts by irrational people. Let the police arrest them for the crimes they commit and let's not let it make us start accusing each other.
@laglen (19782)
Rollo, Thank you for bringing up the vast majority on both sides that are NOT committing these acts. This is all scary but as long as the majority stays civilized, maybe we will get through it!
@spalladino (17925)
Some supporters from both sides are behaving very badly and the last thing anyone should do is to give them vindication. It would be nice if members from both parties took a public stand against this together and told everyone to settle down.
@laglen (19782)
I agree. I think both sides are at fault and both sides need to "man up"
Here's hoping that these terrorists are brought to justice. No one who resorts to these methods is on my side.
@laglen (19782)
Amen! It solves nothing and furthers no cause.