no to large class!

@kyel_11 (1069)
Say NO TO LARGE CLASS! This large class policy has been a big issue in the university. Rallies here and there but the administration keep on insisting this policy. Admin can get more with this, but what do students and teachers get from this anyway? The quality of education should not suffer. They should not forget the real reason of the university - to give students the knowledge by giving quality education to them. UP System already increased the tuition and other fees at around 300% last 2007. How come they would think of changing the education system just to accommodate more freshmen for the coming years? If the students are waitlisted and did not pass the quota grade for their chosen degree, then it's not the university's problem, it's their since they did not do their best in the UPCAT. Please don't make this the reason behind the large class policy. AGAIN, NO TO LARGE CLASS! JUNK IT!
@doryvien (2293)
Hi Kyel, When you say 'large class', how many students should there be in a class to consider it large? During my time(which was about 2 decades ago), the most number of students in a class I've attended was about 30, and that was in the gen ed - during the first and second year. Higher levels particularly the major subjects had fewer students. UPCAT is the 'passport' to get into the University, and I can't imagine it being set aside to accommodate non-passers, though there could be a rationale behind this move. At the very least, the Admin should be transparent about it. UP has socialized tuition fees, and it's unfair to the paying students (who also pay for the tuition of non-paying or the 'iskolar ng bayan'-do you still call them that?), should the quality of education suffer because of these changes.
@kyel_11 (1069)
Hello Doryvien! The large class is composed of at most 150 students. I was one of the guinea pigs of this large class. Yes, i became part of like experimentation of this policy and all I can say now is a big NO! Based on my experience, the students in the large class is not that interactive compared to the regular class. Also the attendance, project, assignment checking is VERY DIFFICULT for the teachers. Imagine 150 papers to be read by a single teacher? It's really hard for their part. This policy will be implemented in GE courses, ENG10, and PI100. IT SUCKS! NO TO LARGE CLASS!
@doryvien (2293)
150?!!! Wow, that's way too many. And I thought a class exceeding 35 students is large already. Well, good luck to you, and to all the students should the large class policy be implemented.
@kyel_11 (1069)
Well, i'm very fortunate since i'm not a student anymore. haha! i graduated last year. however, i'm still active in the issues in my alma mater. i do not want quality education to suffer since UP is the most prestigious university in our country. I really hope the admin will be more critical on this policy.
@mimiang (3779)
we had large classes in physics 71 and 72 in the 90's. We were okey. So, it did not matter
@kyel_11 (1069)
ok fine. everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, i respect it. thanks for the response