Getting Chipped...Good or Bad...

Electronic Chip...Electronic Chip...Electronic Chi - Electronic Chip...
@twoey68 (13651)
Recently a family member lost their dog. They had it in a fenced area of the yard and it managed to get out. The dog did not have any tags on and it was two days before she was found. Luckily the dogcatcher managed to get her and knew someone was looking for her. The owners had to pay a fee for the dog pound picking the dog up and the owners decided to have her chipped. Chipped is where they place an electronic device under the skin of the animal around the back of the neck. The owners said the dog was yipping when they did it so I imagine it hurt to have it done. They also said that the needle they used was huge…like the size of pencil. I considered having our cat, Morgana, chipped so that I would know for sure that if she ever got out that I’d be able to find her again but after hearing about the dog, I don’t think I will. I think I will get her a collar and tags and get her used to wearing them. Have you ever had a pet chipped? Would you or do you think it’s a mean thing to do? What precautions have you taken to ensure that you can find your pet if it gets loose? [b]**AT PEACE WITHIN** ~~STAND STRONG IN YOUR BELIEFS~~[/b]
twoey68 ow that would really hurt no if they cannot do this in a humane fashion I sure would not want to do that to a pet of mean, a huge needle, and no deading of the area as they would for a person? thats wicked mean in my estimation.My Gosh dogs have feelings too and to hurt them like that I would not do that to a p et I had.When we had our dog and cat they both had i.d. collars so they could be idenified but no chips, not when they do as you described.
My pets are not chipped, and they will not wear the collar and tags. They manage to wiggle out of them. I have always been a homeowner, and I only ever had one cat disappear, and I am convinced he got in a vehicle and left the area. He loved to ride, and I removed him from a moving van going to Texas, and followed him to school, because he went with the neighbors' kids to school. I learned to shut him in at those times of day. I hesitate about collars for cats, or small, jumping dogs as I know of a couple of instances where they were caught on their collars and hung. I get break away collars for my cats, but then, what is the point? They are out of them in a snap. I have seen things injected into people that use large bore needles, and yes, there is some pain, and then it is done. I feel the same way about the chip,for animals, but would ask for anesthetic first, as someone else said.
@Wizzywig (7859)
I know there has been some debate about making this procedure compulsory. Our dog is chipped and, as far as I recall they gave him a low dose local anaesthetic. I know he didnt make any fuss or struggle at all but he used to regularly pull his tags off. He had it done almost 3 years back and has never had any adverse effects. He did try the big wide world one evening but he was found and returned by the dog warden at no charge. Perhaps you could have a word with your vet and ask to have the procedure explained/check out the size of the needle etc before making a decision?
@scififan43 (2440)
I have never had a pet chipped. however my gf might be in favor. She has one pet dog that she is afraid that could get lost or stolen in she is not watched closely. she prefers to have the dog on a leash when she is walked. her other two are obeyent. the other one like to do what she wants and goes where ever she likes. I do nto think she can afford this right now but would consider it in the future.
@kaylachan (4776)
Just like with most getting "chipped" is a simi-invasive sugeral prosedure. Before having it done or considered consult your vet. A simple )but sometimes costly) blood test can be performed to determine if your cat can be put under. Though the penetration isn't all that deep. But with anything, chipping isn't without risks. infection is something that needs to be considered as well as other problems. But, a vet usually for free will properally advise you. As for me, no I have not enough money. the cats have collar and tags.
@tjades (3593)
• Jamaica
The needle bit is pretty hard to swallow. There is no way I would put my pet through that agony. They would have to review the needle used and change it. Poor dog. I would more than yelp myself upon sight of that pencil size needle. I have not had any problems with my pets disappearing. Maybe once or twice I remember our childhood dog got left behind but found their way back home. There was one we had given away who got away from its new owner and found her way back to us. I do not live in a city area (thankfully) or too close to one so our pets have a lot of freedom.
@TheCatLady (4695)
• Israel
It hurts a bit more than a regular shot, but it's no big deal. The needle is not the size of a pencil. It's bigger than a normal needle, but noway near that big. My dog is chipped. She winced at the needle then was fine. Plenty of humans have been chipped. There are some bars that chip their customers instead of them using ID and money. Just scan the chipped arm and the drink is payed for. Chip your cat. If she gets out and lost and looses her collar or is hundreds of miles away, the chip will shows she's yours. It's happened that cats or dogs get returned to their humans buy scanning the chip many years after getting lost or stolen.
@Lakota12 (42684)
nope dont think I would maybe a tatto oin the ear might not hurt so bad
well..the return rate is much higher if they get out..our animal control routinely looks for one when an animal is picked up.. but i had heard some animals (particularily dogs)were getting tumors in the area of implant.their bodies are probably recognizing it's a foreign object and trying to "encase" it.i think that's a low occurance though.
@jezzmay (1845)
As you described it, it seems like it hurt the dog. I had mine tattooed, when I had her fixed. This way it did not hurt her and we can identify her. I also had my cat done this way too.
@dawnald (84131)
• Shingle Springs, California
My cat got out and we never saw him again. Probably a coyote or something got him. But I was also considering chipping my cats, or getting them collars and tags. I haven't quite decided which I want to do.
@paula27661 (15899)
I have a kitten that I adopted from a shelter and he is micro-chipped. They did it when he was tiny and I have no idea if it hurt him, to be honest I had not thought about that until now! I have another cat and a dog and they are not chipped but have tags with our address and/or phone number. They are both registered on the National Pet Register in Australia and are wearing the tags with their id number so if they lose the phone number tag they can be located via the register. We’ve already had the opportunity to use the phone number tag when our dog got out and we got alerted with a phone call from some people who live in the street behind, I was so relieved we got her back!
To be honest I believe that having your pet chipped is a great idea. It only takes a few seconds and then you hvae the peace of mind that your pet can be tracked if they get lost.
I have yet to have either of our dogs nor our cat chipped and I don't think that I would ever be able to make myself do it. Yes, I realize that it means that were they to get out of our yard, I would be able to find them again, but I also think that it is inhumane treatment to a certain extent. We do keep collars and tags on our pets so that people can identify where they belong. This was how it was done in the old days and it worked out well, so I think it should continue to work out well in today's society.
@qamarep (4450)
• Pakistan
why do people bring up animals at their homes... if you like or love the dogs. why cant you try to chip them because thats how you are going to find them when they are gone or taken..
@derek_a (10902)
I think it is good to have a pet chipped. Whilst it may hurt for a little while as surgical things do with humans, it is not permanent and will help to stop the pet feeling even more unhappy if it gets lost or injured. They soon forget the pain of it, and some animals don't yip at all, as they don't feel the pain in such a way. A few moments of yipping is worth it I think. _Derek
@cyrus123 (6383)
I'm glad your family member found her dog. I've heard of having a pet chipped but I've also heard it's expensive. I'm not sure it would be worth the pain. I'm also living on a tight budget and I wouldn't be able to afford it. My horse doesn't have anything like this. However, my dog has her rabies tag on her collar with my vet's phone number on it. I'm sure if she goes missing, whoever finds her can call my vet and they can call me to let me know she's been found. I hope this never happens but I keep her in the house at night. As far as the horse is concerned, I keep the gates to my pasture padlocked all the time. Kathy.
@ElicBxn (60802)
First, did you know that unless you are in a certain low income area and your city offers a free local chipping that you have to pay a fee or they don't hold your number in their data banks? Second, there is some history of tumors and microchips - not just chips tho, some pets have developed tumors after routine shots as well, but it is another consideration. However, if you can afford the fee and are more worried about your cat getting lost, then chipping is an option - so far the history of tumors seems to be more in dogs than cats.
I haven't had my dogs chipped but plan on doing so when I finally get them council registered...I think it's a great idea & there was a story here in Austalia about 6 months ago about a dog that went missing about 9 years ago & was found in Melbourne - the dog had wandered from the Gold Coast so that's a good 2000kms (or more) or about 1000 miles...this dog was returned to the owners due to the dog being chipped. My dogs don't go far because the know they'd get their behinds kicked for wandering so if they get out, expect to see them on my front door step knowing they're gonna get into trouble lol.
I would definitely have this as an option. I would also look into seeing if you can find a humane vet that would give the animal a local anesthetic before injecting this in a huge needle. It would probably cost me more but I would be happy to pay it to know that my animal didn't have to go through this obvious pain. As far as me doing anything to prevent my cats from running off I haven't done anything. I have grown up around cats all my life. I cannot remember a time that I have NOT had atleast one cat. If I paid good money for a special breed or something I would be sure to have this clipping thing done or something like it. Rather than that I figure cats have a personality that it is just a chance I take in having these cats that they may or may not get lost(doubtful) or get taken. It doesn't and hasn't happened often so I am really not that worried about it. If you take care of the cat and love it then it comes back.