Your faith symbol, do you wear it?

@writersedge (22579)
If you do, why do you? If you don't, why do you not? I don't wear any symbols of my faith around my neck because I worked 13 years an a state prison and at another time, 3 years in a county jail. So wearing a chain with a metal or a medicine pouch or anything that someone could use to strangle me, I just can't do that. I will for religious ceremonies where I know the people there and I know they have my back. I've been given many religious necklaces. I would like to make a medicine bag. What I usually wear is a shirt that has religious symbols, but that is usually under my regular shirt, except for during ceremonies. So do you wear a symbol of your faith or do you bring it with you in your pocket, pocketbook, wallet, or have it in your car? Is it for everyone to see or only for people who have faith similar to yours? Or do you leave all your symbols on a home altar or in a pouch hidden somewhere? Most of my symbols of my faith are on my altar or in a pouch that I bring to the wood with me where I can thank the Creator for all the wonderful things he has provided.
@SViswan (12071)
Not really. I do not wear my faith symbol. I do not even wear the traditional sindoor (the red line on the forehead that married women wear...because it's a new thing in my community). I do wear a locket with the 'Om' sign on it..which is definitely hindu. But it's more because it's a gift from my husband and also both my sons' names signify that.
@writersedge (22579)
That's three "Om", the locket, the two sons' names. Three, in many religions, is considered very important. Lockets are very nice gifts. Thank you for sharing this. It seems like it's a very important part of your religion and your family.
@SViswan (12071)
Though it is a religious symbol, I believe more in the philosophical aspect of it and am not very religious.
I wear a silver pentagram around my neck, I don't see a need to hide it as I feel that people should live and let live.
@writersedge (22579)
That sounds really nice. I've seen some beautiful pentagrams. The Inmates I taught were not into live and let live, more like live and let die or maybe even live and help other people die. Then there are the radical people up here that have to convert everyone to their religion. There are even people here who would have been happy to be on the sentencing and burning of people during the witch trials. So be careful. While I believe as you do, people who like to use necklaces to strangle people don't. People who believe there is only one path to heaven and all the rest of us (including me) are going to a hot place are on a mission to save us all. So be careful to not be physically or psychologically strangled. Thanks and do you have a picture of your pentagram? It sounds beautiful. Have you seen some of the other pictures on here?
@carmelanirel (20979)
Occasionally I do, I have jewelery and clothing that shows my faith. But since I don't out much during Shabbat, rarely does anyone see them.
@writersedge (22579)
I really like Stars of David. I think they're really beautiful. I often draw Christmas Trees with a Star of David on top. I like the 6 points better than the 5 for the occasion, strangely enough. I really don't know many symbols of your faith. I know Star of David and Manorahs (spelling?). I saw a woven candle at a person's home who was Jewish, but I don't know if that is also a symbol or if she just liked that kind of candle. Thanks and take care.
grafted in - A symbol of grafting into the Hebrew root.
One I like and I don't have is the grafted in symbol. Here is a picture of a necklace I found. It has the menorah, star of David and the fish..
That is a different symbol than I have ever seen. It is lovely.
@Galena (9123)
I've got a pewter pentagram that I don't take off. my mum bought it for me when we moved to Cornwall. I've never seen any reason to hide it. other jewellery I sometimes wear that could be considered religious symbols are a Hagstone on a cord and a silver horse, like the chalk horse at uffington.
@writersedge (22579)
Those sound really neat. Not sure what a hagstone is. The others I've seen before. I have various friends who are into Wicca (Wica spelling?).
@Galena (9123)
Wicca is a modern Pagan tradition that started around the 1950s by Gerald Gardner. I am not Wiccan. I am Pagan. this came before that time. I find Wicca far too dogmatic for my tastes. A Hagstone is a stone that has a hole worn through it naturally. whenever I find one I put it on a Chord and give it to someone I care about. sometimes I wear one. my husband has one. my Mum has one. my closest friends I've given them to. the hagstone is a powerful object, and giving them to the people I feel strongly about makes me feel good.
@writersedge (22579)
Thank you for clarifying all of the above. I don't think I've ever found a stone with a hole naturally worn in it. I'll have to keep looking. That sounds really cool.
I had work experiences like you, that tended to keep me to the minimum of jewelry. I worked with small children, some of whom were violent, and many of whom could not control their body movements. Same for the adult disabled. Actually my particular denomination originally did not wear jewelry, not even wedding rings. I understand the reasoning why as well, and there is scripture that backs it up. I guess I just do not feel the need for symbols to label what is in my heart. My adornment is supposed to come from within. I have had some jewelry that was religious that I enjoyed. My first hubby got me a jade heart with a gold cross on it, I liked wearing that, but it was before I had kids, ran a daycare, worked at Headstart or worked with the adult disabled. I do like earrings and have had some that were crosses.
@writersedge (22579)
Kindergardeners, I've seen them hang onto necklaces and break them. Some of our symbols are not so much to tell others our beliefs as to meditate or to be mindful of certain tenants or things. I think mine will probably stay on my altar and when in use during ceremonies with people I trust.
We had a four year old with some severe emotional disturbances. His "caseworker" ( do not get me started, I knew her from elsewhere) came to observe him in class. She fell asleep sitting in a little chair, he ran over and grabbed her necklaces and nearly strangled her before we could get him stopped. I think the little guy could see her real self.
@shello (964)
• United Arab Emirates
On my end, I don't wear any symbols of my faith at any point in time. Up to now I could not find anything which I can compare to my faith and so I couldn't get something to wear representing it.
@writersedge (22579)
With people on the internet, people here are of all different beliefs and some do as well as some don't have a symbol or symbols. Thanks and take care.
@shello (964)
• United Arab Emirates
Yes very right. It would surely depends on someone's perception or belief. Everyone has the freedom to do so, whether they want it or not. All we have to do is to be open to accept it as much as we want our personal beliefs to be accepted as well. It's just a matter of respect. Take care too.
@writersedge (22579)
Very true. Also most people's beliefs evolve. So what is not for the person today may be for that person some year down the road and vice versa, what is for that person today may not be for that person later on. Thanks again and take care.
I don't have a faith or denomination. I am an agnostic and they didn't have any symbols that evokes that last time I was looking. My daughter loves to do bead work and she has made me several medicine pouches. I wear peace sign rings and necklaces. I also have celtic knot rings. I think they denote who I am and how I think.
@writersedge (22579)
I was going to say, I thought the Celtic Knot Symbolized you very well, esp. the Avatar.
Thank you. I am that celtic= Irish, Eagle= cherokee.
Hi, Edge! I wear a gold and diamond Star of David I made many years ago, when my jerelry business was active. Over the years, many students have given me stars as gifts, in a variety of colored stones, so I sometimes wear a blue topaz one or a peridot one or a garnet one, to go with my clothes. I'm not only proud to be Jewish; I love stars of all kinds!
@writersedge (22579)
All different kinds of gems with stars of Davids, that's really, really neat.
They're all beautiful, and such meaningful and cherished gifts!
I wear my symbol every day around my neck and I also have some gorgeous earrings that are worn frequently. I also have a symbol on the car, and one window sticker in the front porch too. My favourite is a gorgeous painted pentagram that a friend made for me.
@writersedge (22579)
When a friend makes something in honor of you and it is your symbol, too, that is extremely special. I can see why that would be your favorite. Thanks and take care.
@hvedra (1623)
Well, I wear a symbol of my faith but not of any religion! I wear a small stone with a hole in it that was put there by the sea, it means a lot to me personally but it doesn't belong as an "official" symbol. I have other trinkets that I wear occasionally but it is the stone that is most meaningful to me.
@writersedge (22579)
That's three of you who have sound such wonderous stones. I haven't found any like that. They sound really neat. I think I shall seek one. Wish me luck in finding one. Enjoy your faith stone. Thanks and take care.
@khalida (1130)
hey! i don't wear the symbols as chains or anything else. i find it unnecessary plus there is no rule in my religion to wear stuff like that:)
@writersedge (22579)
None in mine either. But sometimes I would like to have the items close by and that is a handy way to have them. Thanks and take care.
@veejay19 (3592)
I too don`t like to show any religious symbols so i wasn`t wearing anything.However some years back a saint had come to my house to meet me and had given me a small round copper medallion with a picture of a well known saint and a religious symbol on the rear.He asked me to wear it on a silver chain around my neck for protection and also for blessings.Though i am not fond of outward show and feel uncomfortable i still wore it out of respect for him.I don`t wear it outside but hidden under my shirt so nobody can see it. In the beginning i felt uncomfortable but now i am used to it.However when i am saying my prayers i hold it in my hands and then put it back inside or rather under my shirt.
@writersedge (22579)
That is a good compromise and - in fact - that is what was written down at my jobs that we could wear the religious items as long as they were inside our clothes, not visible and not grabable.