What to do with this Job?

My husband is at a job that has recently seen a disturbing amount of neglect to it's workers and down right dangerous working conditions. Although the boss has branched out and has more work now to do then ever he has retracted pay for overtime to a set hourly rate which is under all employees wages if they got the proper time and a half, (completly illegal for those who are paid hourly by the way). They have been doing manual labor jobs for 24 to 38 hours strait through with no breaks and then being allowed to leave for 2-4 hours to rest before doing another long shift. Sleep deprivation is bad but you need to know that these men are driving 65 ton trucks on major highways many times filled with hazardous waste. Scary right? So now we are in limbo, we cannot afford to quit, if he gets fired at least we can get unemployment until a new job is found.So now we wait to see what happens. My husband delivered a letter today saying he will no longer work extreme hours because it is unsafe, he will need to have his time and a half back as well as an 8 hour repose between shifts. His two bosses are in an office as I type this arguing about whether to fire him or not. SO what would you have done? What do we do next if he is fired? Or not fired but nothing is done to fix the conditions? What do we do?
Isn't there a Wage Commission in your area? Doesn't the company have a mediator? Someone you can call and without threat to your husband's employeement discuss a problem and get some options. I would see about both of these things. I certainly would not stand by and let this go on if he is fired or if he isn't.
The problem is he is salary and according to our state his boss can work him 24/7 and it doesn't matter. We are trying to get the labor board to do something but it is not seeming like they can help us at all.
I am glad he got with the Labor Board on this. I was affraid he was salary. Big companies love that one. I would be looking for other work and keep this until something else comes around. I had a chance to go to salary in my last job and I would have none of it.
Keeping job was not an option as the safety concerns have now out weighted the worth of the job. He was being asked to drive trucks he wasn't licence for as well as being severely sleep deprived. Our local unemployment office agrees with him and they are helping us look into getting back pay as well as helping him find a new job. It is the first time either of us has ever gone to get unemployment but in this case we swallowed our pride because the alternative was so much worse. If he got into an accident on the road it would be mandatory 5 yrs. or more if some one was hurt, we could never afford that monetarily or emotionally not with three kids and one on the way. Luckily we have options and plan to take them.
hi opinionatedlady does yourhusband belong to a labor union, and is so can he protest to him as they are clearly violating the labor laws. I see you too live in the U.S.I thought the employment situation was'bad here in California but its bad there too? Thats horrible making men driving trucks work such long hours,unsafe and I am sure its also illegal too.Good for your husband,he had to make a stand sooner or later as someone could get killed workingin those conditions. thats just plain awful.I think i would have done the same thing had I been in his place.what do you do next? thats a good question. for one thing he will need to start looking for another job if he is fired, but at least he will get unemployment. If nothing is done and he is not fired go to the labor board as these jerks are being illegal. there surely are places to go to get help for unfair labor conditions.
We are trying to get help from both the state and federal labor boards but they do not seem to be able to do much for us.
opinionatedlady hi I am so sorry that these labor boards are not really able to help much. that really sucks. But there have to be laws that they have broken and there has to be someone who is in charge to make sure those laws are not broken. hey heres an idea that as lot of us americans have been forced to do, contact your congressperson and really lay this mess on the line, I would bet you will get some results, find out who he or she is and contact them as they do care about their constituents as they are the people who put them into office. a lot of mylotters have had to go that route and it did work for them too. do try it.let us all know how things are working out. we all try to care for each other here in mylot.
I did write to him and our senator but as they are both hiding out after voting for the health care bill against the public opinion for their districts they seem not to be answering, also the owner is related to one of them some how. Not so uncommon in the rural areas. We have also contacted the Federal labor board and OSHA, but this boss seems to have found all the loop holes when it comes to us. A colleague though has pressed on with a case with the Labor board as he was hourly and was not paid the over time. Unfortunately it seems there is a history of this and that even though he has lost similar cases in court over the years no one seems to do much more then slap him on the wrist about it. My hubby left the job ( I am freaked about money but we'll make due) and is actively looking for a job while going back to school. We contacted a lawyer but to tell you the truth he didn't sound as though he could do much either.