Christmas presents

@ElicBxn (60083)
So, I went shopping with my sister on Thursday and got a shirt for her and my uncle to stitch on. Today I went over to visit with her and actually started on her present. Well, I wanted to be sure I put it where she would like the stitching. We were sitting out side in the beautiful day, I was stitching along, my sister was reading and mom was sleeping in her wheel chair. It was a lovely visit, for all that we didn't talk that much, until a friend called and reminded me that I was supposed to pick her up from work. It was almost time for my sister to take mom back to dinner and leave herself anyway, so its not like I was leaving for good, just for today. I got a good bit stitched and she assures me that she won't remember what I'm making - oh, that it'll be a zebra, she works for an organization called Zink the Zebra - but she'll probably have forgotten the shirt she picked out (its pink.)
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
I'm glad y'all had a nice visit. U are smart to be working on presents already. I use to be smart like that but got over it a long time ago.lol. Happy easter to u.
@ElicBxn (60083)
When you do hand work, you have to have a head start. Most of last year was taken up with the needlepoint I did, so I want to try and make up for it this year.
@ANTIQUELADY (36491)
U sure do. Use to make alot of christmas presents but quit doing handwork a long time ago. Guess i just burned myself out w/it.
@writersedge (22579)
Zink the Zebra sounds cute!
@ElicBxn (60083)
did you see the links I posted?
@writersedge (22579)
Zink the zebra took forever and then it said to diagnose the problem for not coming up.
@ElicBxn (60083)
how strange - they worked fine for me
@BarBaraPrz (17588)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Tell us more about Zink the Zebra... sounds interesting.
@ElicBxn (60083)
Here's a discussion I started about Zink: http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/902278.aspx I didn't put up the website then (think I was below 500 at that point) http://www.zinkthezebra.org/ And here it is on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zink-the-Zebra-Program/49241568540
@BarBaraPrz (17588)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Thanks for the links. A spotted zebra... who'da guessed?
@gabs8513 (48803)
I like those kinds of Days where everyone just relaxes and has a good time doing it
@ElicBxn (60083)
Yeah, the next day the roomie, her mom and I were sitting outside, I stitched and we talked and just had a nice time.
@Lakota12 (42794)
Souns like you have had a god day with family!
@ElicBxn (60083)
I do, I love seeing my sister!
@paula27661 (15900)
Talking about Christmas presents already is scaring me! (LOL) You are so clever being able to make presents like that; it makes them so much more special for the recipients to have something especially made for them! I am not as clever or organised and I will not be thinking about Christmas until at least November! That’s because I will be buying all my gifts, not so personal but that is all I will be able to manage. It sounds like you had a lovely day visiting with your sister; they are the special times we remember always, there is no need for too much conversation just enjoying each other’s company...
@ElicBxn (60083)
Yeah, and stitching is really easy, at least it is for me, and fun too!
@JenInTN (27565)
Your so good. I always swear I will start on my Christmas stuff super early and then I am the one rushing around at the last minute trying to finish up. I have started cross stitiching a few gifts but I have never allowed myself enough time. How long does it usually take you to finish a decent sized cross stitching project?
@ElicBxn (60083)
I've learned that I haven't the... attention span... to do a large project, so I stick to smaller ones. That's why I like to do waste canvas on shirts, then part of the gift is to have a unique present that you can wear places too. More than a shirt, its hand stitched on the shirt. So far, we're in April and I'm working on gift #3 - well, my brother's I don't need to stitch so really its #4 but that hardly counts... Because I'm doing 8.5 or 10 squares to the inch, I can cover a lot of territory on a shirt without a lot of work - sort of... Does use a good bit of floss because I use all 6 strands... Needless to say, the back stitch is what I hate the most - but so far, on the first one, I didn't move the hoop until the main part of the back stitch was done, then I moved and did the other parts in 2 moves. The other shirt had minimal back stitch and I had more time to stitch because I stitched out at the party last week - and I stitched with my sister and for a while at the roomie's folks again on Sunday. I want to get 7 or 8 shirts done this year - and I mean stitching, not the one I'm not stitching on - I will for sure get the 6 that I need done finished, probably by September.
@Razzles (391)
I think that is great that you are making your sister and uncle something. I think the best gifts are those that you make, because it comes from the heart. I wish I knew how to sew. I tried taking a Home Economics class years ago, and it was a joke. Most of the people knew how to sew. My project was a skirt. I went to the teacher every day for assistance. She did a little bit every time I went to her, that she ended up finishing my skirt. Anyway, I am sure your relatives will enjoy their gifts. It sounds like you all had a wonderful day.
@ElicBxn (60083)
It was a nice day to sit outside, today it was warmer. I sat out and stitched at the roomie's on Sunday for a while too. I've already done my niece and my brother's girl friend shirts. I need to find and stitch a top for my mom too, but I'm not finding the tops I want for her - I want to do a sweatshirt or jacket for her.
@bellis716 (4807)
She won't remember? Ha, ha. Glad you had a good visit.
@ElicBxn (60083)
Oh, I'm sure she'll remember its a zebra - that's not the issue - just the shirt and stuff - she may not remember that. Heck, I forget what I've done by the end of a year if I stitched it early In fact, I stitched a dragon for the roomie last year before I started on the pillow for her folks and had forgotten about it until I found it just before Christmas!
@lingli_78 (12852)
woww... you are really very organised... you already started on your christmas present... amazing... and you actually hand make the present... that is so special... i believe your sister and uncle will love what you are making for them... and you are right... by the time christmas comes, i think your sister would have already forgotten what you are going to give her as a present... take care and have a nice day...
@ElicBxn (60083)
If you check response #2 you will see why she won't be particularly surprised that I did a zebra, but remembering the shirt she picked out, that'd be another matter.
@palonghorn (5490)
Sounds like y'all had a very nice visit. Who says you have to talk the whole time to enjoy the time together. Some of my most favorite times with my daughters has been when we were scrapbooking together, not really talking a whole lot, usually have some music on when we do. You got me to thinking about getting an early start on Christmas this year, maybe I can get on that soon. Normally if I see something unique or special I'll go ahead and buy it, but I think I'm going to set aside one of my plastic crates and start buying presents a little at a time.
@ElicBxn (60083)
I got like $30 or $40 on Target gift cards, and I never shop at Target, so I went over there and got the first 3 gifts with the gift cards - so I was ready to start stitching around the first of the year. I've got 3 gifts done, well, the one shirt there wasn't any work, just getting it and packing it up. But now I've started on gift #4, and have the shirt bought for #5, so I'm ready to go. I am thinking of getting something and stitching on it for my roomie's mom, but maybe it'll be an apron or something.
@Opal26 (17694)
Hi Elic! You are just amazing! You know how to "hand stich" too! How did you learn all this stuff? I can barely sew up a hole or put a button back on! I hate to sew! My mom made a tablecloth that came out nice, but she really didn't like to sew either! My father was the sewer in the family because he was an interior decorator, by trade! He always did all the necessary sewing so none of us had too! An when I took a class in high school, I never even finished anything that we did on the sewing machine! That machine was just not for me! My Guidance Counselor told me I scored higher in Mechanical Reasoning and I really should be a Mechanic! Too bad I didn't listen to him!lol
@ElicBxn (60083)
I taught myself from a magazine how to needlepoint. I got a couple of little cross stitch kits and learned to cross stitch. I looked at a "waste canvas" book and figured out how to stitch on waste canvas - meaning I could cross stitch anything I wanted on anything I wanted to stitch on - generally sweat shirts or tee shirts. I did take sewing in home ec at school, but I actually learned more from my mom.
@cerebellum (3871)
You sure are getting a head start on Christmas! What will your sister and your uncle put on their shirt? Or are they shirts you are going to make for them? Sometimes the best visit is if you just sit with someone and each do your own thing. Talking isn't necessary, just having the company of a loved one. By the time Christmas gets here, your sister probably would forget what you are making. If it were me I'd forget in a few weeks!
@ElicBxn (60083)
I'm putting a zebra on my sister's shirt and a duck on my uncle's. I've put a couple of cats on my brother's girl friend's and a rose on my niece's. For my brother, its just a UT (University of Texas) tee shirt. Still need to find a sweat shirt or jacket for my mom and put something on that.