Cellphone Scams?

Cellphone is a part of our daily life. It is a way of communication between our family and friends. But what if it is used as an instrument of scamming people? My neighbor was unfortunate because she was scammed through her cellphone. She was scammed about 11,000 Php. Her daughter was working in Hongkong and then she received a text saying the her daughter changed her number and is using the new number shown. She said she will be sending some items home (padala)and she asked how her brothers and sisters doing. The sender enumerated their names that's why my neighbor believed her. She said she was having problems abroad and would like to have a business like selling cellphone loads to support her there. The mother (my neighbor) agreed and started to send cellphone loads in 1000 and 500 denominations. It was a younger daughter who stopped the transaction after doubting the identity of the sender but it was too late. They were already scammed 11,000 php. They reported it to NTC, but there are also many complaints like these and they have to undergo a series of investigations. Up to now, there is no report of the scammer and he/she still can't be traced, so beware if this happens to you.
@trotter (102)
thanks for reminding us. speaking to the cellphone scams,it's a new form of scam raising these years.there are several kinds of scams.one is that the scammer informs your family you're serious injured and need money.besides,short messages such as informing you win lottery are also scams.the scamming mode varies and we should stay sharp.
I think that's a new strategy of the "salisi gang" (I think). My co-office worker almost became a victim of that. Her yaya received a text message (or a call?) saying she was injured and needed money quickly for the hospital. The yaya panicked and tried to go to the bank to withdraw her personal money. On the way out, she met my co-office worker and she was surprised she was unharmed then she told the story about the mysterious caller...There's a lot of scams out there. Just beware and inform your family and friends to be aware...:)
@tigeraunt (6331)
dear ajarvaise, there are so many scams in the cellphone. i sometimes receive notices that i won certain amounts.. well, not just an amount but big. saying that i won in a raffle something which i have not joined. these things should always be verified before getting into it. if they start asking for money or any other things, beware. that's scam. happy mylotting. ann
Yeah, I've also received those kind of messages, but I never give any attention to them... Who are they kidding? I may be caught off guard if I really did entered a raffle, but how can you win by just having your number picked randomly? Let's just be wise in dealing with these scammers...:)