Guilty Conscience?

@laglen (19782)
Michigan Democratic Rep. Bart Stupak, who was the central figure in the abortion debate surrounding the health care law, will retire from Congress at the end of this term. Stupak, who's been in Congress for 18 years, will make the announcement at a 12:30 p.m. ET press conference in Marquette, Mich. Stupak told The Associated Press that attacks on him for his role in the abortion debate did not influence his decision and he could win re-election if he tried. READ THE WHOLE STORY http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/09/rep-bart-stupak-retire/ Stupak feels confidant the he would be re-elected. What do you think? Dont get me wrong, the guy can retire if he wants to. But do you think that the health care debacle had something to do with it? The Tea Party? I like what he originally did for federally funded abortions, but I think voting for the health care did him in. What do you think?
@hofferp (4739)
I think Stupak got the message from his constituents...you run again, you lose. So, as he lied before, he lied this time about the "attacks" on him for his role in the abortion debate not influencing his decision. Couldn't even tell the truth on the way out the door...gees.
@laglen (19782)
lol that could be too. But I really think all of that crap needs to stop. The violence and threats are such a waste of energy. Think what people could do with that energy. How many windmills could they power?!
@laglen (19782)
whoa whoa whoa wait a minute, Barney Frank is gay??!! ok sorry, had to get that out. I am trying to be nicer today and it has been a challenge. Regarding threats and if they are real or not, I agree with you. I dont know how many are actually real and I know that Democrats love to be the victim (Im gonna get crap for that arent I). So we will have to wait and see. And I would just like to point out that EVERYBODY has stupid comments made to them, kids on the playground, some drunk a55 calling you names, and if your going to cry and run home, then stay home. Shoot you can see my resolve slipping away? ok well you get my point? Befpre I offend even more people I will quietly slink away (maybe cry even!)
@hofferp (4739)
Boy, you really stepped in "it" (I'm already covered in it...I got "matured out" of my own conversation :})and your resolve did just go to pot. I'll try and cover your back, but I do have to get out of my pajamas today and water my garden, haul rock, clean the pickup out, etc., so I may be missing in action part of the time. Please feel free to carry on without me for at least some of the day. And play nice...
@gewcew23 (8011)
Two possibilities either Barty is sick and tired of being a Congressmen, or he was not going to win his re-election race. He had been a Congressmen for 18 years, I barely stay with the same company for two years. Any ways his got a nice fat retirement package coming to him paid for by taxpayers every where. Oh to the whole conscience thing, you are assuming he ever had a conscience.
@laglen (19782)
ok Gew, I capitulate. You are right and I made a HUGE assumption. I say let the guy retire, go live the good life. He did do some good! (trying to be nice now, how am I doing?)
@gewcew23 (8011)
Doing a great job.
@anniepa (27241)
I don't think he has any reason for a guilty conscience. Personally, I think his reason for retiring is the threats and other disgusting and obscene messages he's been receiving at his home and office. It kind of makes me laugh that the tea party is taking credit for it. I mean, does that mean they're also taking credit - or accepting the blame - for the threats? Annie
@laglen (19782)
I agree that there is no "credit" to pass around. I think the congress people that are retiring this year most likely all have their own reasons. Regarding the threats and bad behavior, I would hope that groups like the tea party are NOT doing this. I think that these activities are being perpetrating are individual wackos. In my opinion, while I feel very strongly about the issues, violence is not the answer.