I'm Making Something For My Dad

@CatsandDogs (13964)
and I want to show it to you. You see, my dad grew up in Idaho. He moved from Idaho to Virginia when he was just 17 years old to go to work with his dad. His parents have been divorced since he was just a chap. Anyway, dad used to work on this farm while in Idaho and he was given a beautiful white horse in which dad named him "Fleet". Fleet would follow dad everywhere he went. He just loved dad and dad loved him. Then one day, dad had to give him to someone else to care for him while he was away. When dad came back a few years later, the farm owner said he didn't think that Fleet would remember my dad and dad said, "Oh yeah? I bet he does!" so dad went around to the corral where Fleet was and gave a quick but loud whistle. Dad said Fleets head came up and he looked and looked, like he couldn't believe his ears and eyes! Dad whistled for him again and called his name and Fleet come a galloping towards dad! It was a wonderful reunion and dad told the man "See? He remembers me. I knew he would." Needless to say, dad never got to see Fleet again because it was too costly to get back out to Idaho but he never forgot him. Now dad has only ONE picture of Fleet and it's only the size of 4 x 6 maybe and it's hanging on his bedroom wall. Knowing that I love white horses, dad has willed that picture to me which I'll treasure for the rest of my days! Well folks, I tried and tried to post a picture but it just won't upload so I found the same cross stitch online so I'm attaching the link to it. Please do check it out and tell me what you think! NOT a referral link! But a link to show the cross stitch I'll soon be working on for my dad! http://crossstitchworld.com/cross-stitch-detail.php?RecordID=04718 BUT after I finish the project I'm working on now. I'm on the very last row with the leaves and woodwork then I'll be done and starting on dads. Now this is the only site that I could find for this particular cross stitch. It must be outdated or something because I just can't find it any where else. AGAIN, NOT a referral link! http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/xstitch/c-3745.html Now I pray that he lives long enough for me to finish it so he can enjoy it. I've asked around about stopping the one I'm working on now, even though I'm so close to finishing it, to start on dad's but everybody has told me no, to finish this one and then do dad's. What do YOU think?
@ElicBxn (60883)
As a stitcher, I would say, finish the one you are doing, because you are almost done. As a daughter... that's a whole lot more difficult...
@ElicBxn (60883)
Have you already received it? If not, stitch on the other one until you do. Also, to keep this one nice, maybe you could carry around the other to places while you wait and stitch so this one stays nicer. Mind you, if I didn't carry my stitching around, I'd NEVER finish one!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Yeah I have it. I got it about a week and a half ago and is why I haven't been on here much because I've been working like a dog trying to get this one finished like others told me to do. Even mom told me to finish this one first then start on the one for dad. You see, dad had a five way bypass in December 1990, not even a month after my fiance was killed. Dad had a major heart attack and had emergency surgery an hour away from home. It was hell to say the least. Mom and I had to stay in this house for really cheap and I had to take time off from my job to be with her and him and traveled back and forth running errands and get my sister on the weekends and bring her down with us. Anyway, as it is now, four of his arteries are clogged up. He has only ONE left!! The doctors are trying different medicines in hopes that they will help him but he has a terrible time breathing. He did have lung cancer but he beat it but still, the scar tissue on his lungs is one of the reasons why he can't breathe as good as before along with having only one artery. Gee, he's not getting enough oxygen and his doctor seems to think he doesn't need an oxygen tank. Moron! Dad is 77 years old, not really old but definitely not young either but there again, he is old due to his health. I've asked dad time and time again to ask the doctors about his arteries and he won't. He says he will but when it comes down to it, he won't ask. Mom seems to think it's because of him having lung cancer that that's why they won't do it but she said she could go with him the next time and talk to the doctor herself. I WISH SHE WOULD!! Damn it, what are they waiting for? Him to die?! I mean, come on! I can't go with him because I have mom to tend to and she can't be left alone for long periods of time and what if she were to fall? Dad really needs someone to kick him in the rear sometimes because he won't stand up to a doctor unless they really do him wrong like with his diabetes. ARG!!
@ElicBxn (60883)
Well, then, work on it! What are you doing hanging around here?
@carmelanirel (20979)
I think that is a wonderful idea and the cross stitch with the boy and horse is absolutely beautiful. I did a hook rug once for my father-in-law who likes Canadian geese and I think it was the only time he complimented me..
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Hey carmelanirel! Sorry I'm so late in responding but I've been so dog gone busy cross stitching! lol I got the little boy and the grass done and am now working on the horse. It really looks awesome so far! I've shown it to my dad a couple of times and he's in awe over it. He even said that the little boy looks like him when he was that age! That just makes me want to work on it even more and faster but I have to be sure every stitch is put into the right place or it'll not come out right so I go as fast as I can but am sure to do it right too. As for your father in law, maybe he's one of those types that doesn't know how to compliment others? I don't know, just a wild guess.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
i WOULD DO WHAT I WANTED TO DO DEAR. qUIT LISTENING TO EVERYBODY & DO WHAT U WANT. i THINK THAT'S A GREAT THING U ARE DOING FOR YOUR DAD. i KNOW HE WILL BE SOO PLEASED. u ARTE A GOOD GIRL.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Hi Jo! I have one row to do and that's the very bottom where it looks like wood entwined with vines. I should be finished with it in about a week if not sooner because I've been working on it SO much lately to get it done so I can work just as hard on the one for my dad. The one I'm working on now is for me. Maybe that's why it's taking me so long to do it (About eight years! ). lol I've made quite a few of them and gave them all away and that's why I say this one is mine. Even hubby has one! Everybody but me! lol As for dad's, it looks really easy and I think I'll have it done in about a month or two. There's no half, quarter or three quarter stitches, just whole stitches so it should be really easy and quick.
@ANTIQUELADY (36489)
My goodness, just 8 years, lol. Ur dad is going to be very proud of u. IO use to do alot of handwork but gave it up years ago. I just burned myself out on it. I really enjoyed it for a long time. U have a great monday & keep stitching. hugs.
@besthope44 (12145)
Thats nice one and its inspire every one the love and respect you have on you dad. God bless!!
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Awwww.... that's mighty sweet of you to say! I do love my parents. Although they can grate on my nerves at times, I still love them very much and want only the best for them. God bless you too!
@Thoroughrob (11750)
That is great, I am sure he will love it. Finish what you are doing and then start a new one. If not, you will never go back and finish it, as you will put it up. You are such a busy person, I cannot imagine trying to do something like that on top of all you do.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
As you already know, I did finish the four seasons one but I did three others while in the middle of doing that one and finished the others and now this one is finished and now I'm working on my dad's and nothing else. I do have a number of them still to do but they can wait, my dad's can't. Besides, like you said, can't imagine doing any more than that on top all everything else that I do. Especially not now.
That is an adorable picture. I have no skills to do counted cross stitch, so I am very impressed. Based on how I am with unfinished projects I would say go ahead and finish what you are doing. Not to do so would be distracting.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Hi GG! I'm a wee bit late, more like 3 months late but here I am!! LOL As you know, I did finish the one finally but, I did do another which is the picture I choose for the subject of cross stitching, for my niece and her new hubby while I was working on the four seasons one and I made two small ones for my nephews two children after they were born and once I finished those, I went back to the four seasons one. lol Call me nutty!! Cause that I am!
@Polly1 (12649)
Its beautiful Cats, your Dad is going to love it. Have you told him and showed him a picture of it? The story about your dad and Fleet is so bittersweet. Of course Fleet remembered him, its too bad your dad couldn't go back to see him. He probably wondered where your dad was. I saw a story on tv about some elephants that had become friends, they were then separated for many years, I believe over 30 years. Once they seen each other again, they remembered each other and where best of friends again. We don't forget our friends, why should animals forget their friends.
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Hi Polly! Sorry I'm so late in responding but I've been so dog gone busy cross stitching! lol So far I got the little boy done and the grass and am now working on the horse. It really looks awesome so far! I've shown it to my dad a couple of times and he's in awe over it. He even said that the little boy looks like him when he was that age! That just makes me want to work on it even more and faster but I have to be sure every stitch is put into the right place or it'll not come out right so I go as fast as I can but am sure to do it right too. I saw that very same story about the elephants! It's amazing how they remember things from so long ago and people call them dumb? HA! Dumb hell!! Horses are the same way, they have a long long memory too.
Very thoughtful of you and I am sure it will be beautiful when you have it finished. If I had any doubt whether my father would live long enough to see and enjoy my special gift I would immediately stop what I was doing and start on the cross stitch gift for my father. The second link was all in Japanese so I do not know what it shows except "Yahoo Japan"
@bing28 (3798)
I think it's alright if you don't finish yet what's your working and start on your dad's, This is more important for your Dad to appreciate and the happiness it would give. I remember my dad too. You're lucky you still have them both and still you can give him a gift for sure he'll treasure. I pray you're mom and dad will get well, My best regards Cats. take care...
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Well, I have one row to do and that's the very bottom where it looks like wood entwined with vines. I should be finished with it in about a week if not sooner because I've been working on it SO much lately to get it done so I can work just as hard on the one for my dad. The one for my dad looks MUCH easier than this one that I'm doing now so it shouldn't take me too long. I hope not anyways.
@leenie50 (3992)
Mary Beth, That cross stitch is absolutely gorgeous!! Since you asked for our opinion, I say start your Dad's as soon as possible. It would break your heart if something happened to your Dad before you could give it to him. For that matter, it would break my heart too. So, what are you doing here? You should be starting that cross stitch. Love Ya, Leenie
@CatsandDogs (13964)
I'm thinking along the same lines as you on this one Leenie. I'm so fearful that he'll leave this world before I get to finish it and it would just eat me up alive! And it's the reason why I'm not on here as often as I usually am, because I've been working SO hard on this one project trying to finish it in a hurry so I can work on the one for dad. Grrrr! Now a question for you, where the hell are you?! I have messenger opened and sent you my address and then started these two discussions but you're not responding to me on messenger! Maybe something's wrong so I'm going to close it down and reopen it in hopes to chat with you a little before going to bed..... if not, then there's tomorrow, God willing! Love ya too!
@replyashu (747)
that is quite a nice one it shows how much respect you have for your father really good to hear this..... have fun and all the best TATA
@CatsandDogs (13964)
Awwwww thank you!! Yes I love my dad and my mother too very much! I made a few cross stitches for my mom and wanted to make one for my grandmother but couldn't find the right one but now she's gone. Then I found this one and the first thing that came to my mind was my dad and his story about his horse, Fleet. I knew then I had to have it to make for him. Thanks again and all the best to you too my friend!