Do you laugh when you see someone fall down? I hate this--

@kalav56 (11502)
I have seen people laugh when someone has a fall. What is your reaction on such occasions? If it is a little kid and if the little chubby one would sit with a do-p-p-p thud on its backside, and there is no injury , it looks sweet . But otherwise I feel concerned about and for the person. Why do people laugh at that point of time? I have seen the enacting of these scenes in slapstick comedies. Here it is something rehearsed and we know there would be no harm. But in real life I find it unpalatable if someone laughs .Am I being critical? Is it just human nature?
@Buchi_bulla (8299)
It is not decent and manners to laugh when someone falls. Already that person will be feelig bad and ashamed. Why to add fuel to that awkward situation?
@kalav56 (11502)
Exactly Buchiwhat is the point of adding to the person's msiery and embarrassment?These films make a comeic scene out of thsi and many people tend to enjoy these scenes.
Such people have vicarious pleasure in degrading others. I hate that.
@kalav56 (11502)
I too hate this.How is the summer there? I am sure Bangalore is much better than all other places though it would not be what it was earlier.
@setsuna26 (2410)
That just means you care for other people as well. I have to be honest there are times that i cant control myself when someone fall's not at the expense of that person but because it reminds me of those comic scenes i see on movies.I have a mother whose having a hard time walking , almost falling every now and then, when i see her fall it breaks my heart because i know shes suffering. Everytime i see someone falling like that, i try to remind myself what if its my mom , then i pull myself together and help the person if he or she is near me. I dont blame others why they laugh because they dont know what their doing. All i can offer is my help to the person who fell and i believe needs a strong arm to lift him or her up again. Thanks for asking
@kalav56 (11502)
Can nothing be done for your mother?Is she on medication or therapy?My father was incapacitated /paralysed on one side for 18 years and he used to limp and do all his work himself.It was very admirable but sad.
@setsuna26 (2410)
Im doing all i can to help her our, in addition to her condition shes alos diabetic with high blood pressure and her legs are shrinking due to a condition i believe its myopathic legs .All i can do is provide her medicines and keep her smiling most of the time.And try not to let her down as well .I can just do so much the rest is all up to her i mean to find the strength to fight as well. I just hope and pray that she gets better pretty soon too
@kalav56 (11502)
If she si diabetic, she needs regular walking but with her difficulty she is going to find it almost impossible.Ensure, she gets meals at regualar intervals because this keeps diabetes under control.If she can tolerate it, give her a few garlic pearls[the natural ones not the tablets] and small onions daily..This will have a good effect on BP.With your prayer and dedication she will improve.Don't worry.
@ajarvaise (453)
I think it's just human nature influenced by those comedy shows that laugh on others' accidents. Hey, it's an accident and might can cause an injury. People who delight in others' injury are pathetic, I might say. In my case, if I'm near that person, I will rush to his/her side and ask if he/she needs help or an ambulance.
P.S. But if the person involved is laughing, then I think it's okay and there's no injury. He/She might be covering his/her embarrassment by laughing. :)
@kalav56 (11502)
That is very true.WHen the person is himself laughing it only means that the injury is not serious.And it is terribly embarrassing.
@ada8may21 (2419)
At first I am going to laugh but try to hide it so that person wont get embarrassed. But I wont laugh out loud to the extent that the person will get embarrassed, sometimes if I know the person I would laugh out loud just making fun of him/her. But if I dont know him/her I would hide my laugh.
@kalav56 (11502)
So, you would laugh aloud if it si some friend or someone close to you.I guess, between friends anything is ok.Thanks for the response.
@ada8may21 (2419)
Yes I just make sure that the person involved is close to me. That's the only time i would laugh out loud. Your much welcome, enjoy mylotting.
@avani26 (1521)
I honestly do not know what to answer but It is not my first instinct to laugh at someone when they fall, I am usually too worried that they hurt themselves, especially if they crashed hard, or if its a little kid. But there are times when what made the person fall was funny and you can't help but let out a giggle, especially if they think its funny also and then I really am not able to stop myself. I hae fallen also and yes I feel very humiliated when someone laughs but then that is humna nature can't help it.
@kiran8 (15354)
• Mangalore, India
Hi kala, I too hate any such thing.I remember an incident that happened sometime back.I was travelling by bus and local buses here are quite unruly and there is a lot of competition between the various private buses.They take off even before the passengers get off from the bus, and on one such occasions one old lady lost her balance and fell off the bus and hurt her head , but the people in the bus were laughing watching her fall.Later when the bus was forcibly stopped by others on the road and the driver was taken to task , the same people turned against him...such is the world kala utterly selfish and callous..
@kalav56 (11502)
What hypocrisy! Sorry for the delay in commenting Kiran.If local buses are going to enter thsi competition game it is the people who suffer.I remember long back in CHennai -there was a bus 47A and this bus used to just tilt to one side like an overloaded cart.It was even scary seeing it but I have also travelled in it a few times.However I used to get in at some place where the crowd was not too terrible and it was on my way that the crowd picked up.
@syankee525 (6294)
only once i see they are alright then i do. i seen this lady fall down and me and her husband tried to help her up but she went down again. and she was laughing.
@kalav56 (11502)
If the victim is in a frame of mind to laugh then there is nothing like it.That would make the scene diffreent and obviously there has not been any serious injury.
Hi Kalav, Yes, I do laugh at people sometimes when I see that someone has fallen down, but do make an effort to help him/her. But most of the time i have fallen down, got hurt, stood up and started laughing at myself. This happens with me a lot of time. I am walking perfectly and will suddenly fall down in-spite of there being no blockages and ditches. I know its funny that I also keep banging myself. People get shocked and say that I am blind. But its perfectly OK with me. Thanks and Regards, Prerna Seth.
@kalav56 (11502)
But why would you fall like that? I used to[why in fact I still look around at trees and sometimes trip on a stone on the road] do this though not too often[GOd forbid].But is it because you are just preoccupied or because you have an imbalance?
Yeah balancing is a problem with me. Though i try really hard to balance myself, but unfortunately I fall.
Yeah, I think it's just human nature. I try not to laugh when someone falls down, but sometimes, I cannot control. This is because when someone falls down, people loses poise and makes funny facial expressions that's why it's so funny when someone falls down. I sometimes laugh at myself when I fall too.
@kalav56 (11502)
Laughing at ourselves is a way of covering our embarrassment.
@SViswan (12071)
Though I think it's human nature, I'm not one to laugh at someone's plight. Movies maybe it's fine...but sometimes watching bloopers and hidden camera shows on television...I can't understand how someone (yes, that includes people I know) can enjoy it. Like you, I feel concerned....and I find no joke in it.
@kalav56 (11502)
Yes Sandya.We are all like-minded people who cannot appreciate thses weird jokes.
@geniustiger (1699)
If someone I see who falls down I don't laugh at it. Instead If I am near to her I would rather help her from the situation. I am a type of person that easily get pity on the one having pain. For some of those who laugh might be their reaction of the action happened. But it is not fair to see them smile after that.
@kalav56 (11502)
Very true and I cannot understand why people should laugh.Thanks for the response.
@Roseo8 (2947)
Hi kala...you are so right...I just don't understand why people laugh when someone falls down.....Even in comic situations,when people fall in jest ,and in awkward situations and awkward positions,I dont enjoy watching it....though I am amused when people around me anticipate the fall and laugh their hearts out.......I guess my sense of humour is very less in such situations.....
@apsara60 (6612)
• Israel
ha ha ha.....you did catch the right point there dear,,,,,,,I am also ashamed to accept that sometimes I too become part of such amusedmnet....lol....but this rarely happens... Believe me I am a good girl
i hate this action!Because everyone can hurt themselves!
@kalav56 (11502)
Thaks for the participation and I see you are new here.Welcome to the forum.Participate in discussions and have fun.THis is a great forum where you get real good friends.
No, I don’t laugh when somebody falls down coz I’m at the receiving end always…I really think there’s something wrong with my legs as I have this tendency to fall even on dry plain surface…I’ve actually developed this slight stoop in my posture due to having to look down where I’m walking all the time. I think it’s a part of human nature…I mean I’ve fallen down many times on the road and I could make out people stifling a grin but then they do come over to help me up….(and my embarrassment in compounded further!)
@kalav56 (11502)
I guess you are also preoccupied like me Sudipta.I too trip at times and tend to gaze around a bit while walking.I also get distracte when there is a bird on a tree or ther srre soem very colourful flowers and would not look where I am stepping. Thanks for the particiaption and how is the day progressing?Here it is very hot.
@monkeylong (3146)
Yeah , as far as I am concerned, I think I will I do not like to laugh the people who fall down. I think they are the great people that can be learned from them. I can get a lot of experience from their experience. I must thank them so much.
@Candymin (145)
Hello, Kalav. Frankly speaking, I do not understand those people who laugh at others especially when catch sight of others' fall. I never do that in such a situation except such occasions designed by intention in a slapstick comedy. The person who fell may feel not only embarrassed but may be injured. At this time, no matter whether the man who fell is injured or not, the first thing we need to do is to rush to her/his side and offer our hands. How it would be funny? God bless all. Happy mylotting!
@reckon21 (3487)
I don't want to be hypocrite and please don't hate me. But I will confess to you that if someone will fall down regardless of the age and even if it's my relatives I will be the one to laugh first. I really find it funny why some people just fall down and I can't even explain it even If I am the one who falls down. But I wont feel angry if others will laugh at me because I knew how it feels. I don't like to be called rude but it's something that I really can't help doing. It's almost a continuous reaction that I had a hard time suppressing. I knew it's a bad habit because nobody want to be laugh at except me. But it will takes a long time before I can get this bad behavior of mine.
@bestylish (923)
Not really. I don't laught at them. I also don't pity them. I feel nothing about it.
@drannhh (15240)
It is not in my human nature, although I have met people for whom it is. Personally, I do not find anything funny about slapstick comedy. I would never laugh at someone who fell, not even an "enemy" and I would never again trust or respect anybody that I saw laugh at someone else who fell. To me that is just inexcusable.
@hofferp (4739)
My first reaction is to ensure the person isn't hurt. Then, depending on what happened, we may laugh together. But if the person's hurt or is upset, I usually don't laugh. It depends on the person, the situation, the kind of fall, etc.