TEA Party Movement

@bobmnu (8160)
This weekend there was talk on the radio that the TEA Party movement is just an arm of the Republic Party and that it was started by them to counter the Democrats. In researching this I think the movement was a grass roots movement. Many people were upset with the stimulus package and the government getting bigger and bigger. This is not just in response to President Obama but the feeling started long ago but people felt isolated and alone in their feelings because the media was not covering the topic. Then on February 19, 2009 on CNBC a reporter on the Chicago Board of Trade, Rick Santelli spoke the unspoken rage felt by many Americans and the workers at the Board of Trade gave him a resounding cheer. This incident seemed to light the spark of the TEA Party movement. http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=1039849853 This incident seemed to tell people that they were not alone and suddenly what was a small movement became a national movement and the Silent Majority now had a rallying point.
@xfahctor (14131)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
The term tea party stared getting applied to this movemnt about that time you mentioned. But he movement itself was born ou of the campaign for liberty and the end the fed protests. It is indeed sad that the republican party has hijacked it though. TeaParty Express is a PAC of the republican party and not a genuine tea party group for example. And people like Sarah Palin, Sean Hannity and fox news, and other republicans and shills are pushing it to promote republican candidtes. It's sickening.
That is why they need leadership to point out who is who, and set the record straight. You know who I think should stand up and become the leader, but if he did, it would ruin his chances in 2012.
@speakeasy (4215)
Actually, the members of the Tea Party belong to both the Republican and Democratic parties along with a lot of Independents. The Tea Party was already starting to come together under Bush's Republicans and the financial irresponsibility of Obama's Democrats gave it a huge push. Many Americans are fed up with government spending and big government and this is something that people from all political parties can get together about. The Tea Party is playing it smart and safe and staying away from issues like abortion, religion, etc. that tend to separate people and is pulling them together to try to unite them to fight government interference in people's lives and government waste of our tax dollars.
@bobmnu (8160)
I have attended several and am surprised by the number of everyday people who are looking to get into politics to fight for a smaller government. All are hard working people who seem to understand the meaning of the constitution. They also understand that the government must control spending or face an economic disaster.
@speakeasy (4215)
As long as they stick to the finacial responsibility and smaller government themes, I am all for them. What I worry about is that a lot of "religioius conservatives" seem to be attracted to the Tea Party. I am worried thay they will try to insert religious objectives into the Tea Party. I was in the military almost 20 years working to keep our country free for everyone, guarantee equal rights for everyone, and allow people to make their own personal choices whether I personally agreed with their choice or not. A lot of the "religious conservatives" think that you have the right to make your own choices only if your choice agrees with theirs and that certain people do not have the same rights as them if you are different from them.
@bobmnu (8160)
I am beginning to think that the one common thread going through the TEA Party Movement is the fact that they are all tax payers who are getting fed up with trying to support their family and another family too. With the AP story about 47% pay no Federal Income Tax and a number of the 47% is receiving a government Tax Refund much larger than what was with held from their pay check.
Bob, I thought that the movement started in 2007? By the way I was listening to CNBC when Rick made those comments, and I can tell you that it made me laugh. While all of those traders where cheering him on, they also are the ones that donate heavily to the main stream political parties, and many of them donated to Obama. Funny how these guys will send money to anyone who will make them more money.
@bobmnu (8160)
There are some people who will say that they donate to both parties just to have a chance to talk to the politicians. Some feel that if you don't donate then they may come after you if they need to score political points.
Tell that to Lloyd Blankfein!!! We all know that these guys will buy anything, and anyone they want to get what they want. Everyone in this countries knows that our government is for sale, it is just a matter of how much it is going to cost you.
@Destiny007 (5820)
The TEA Party movement is not a Republican organization. There are many democrats and Independents in it as well.... all are people who are tired of the government excesses. "They are ordinary, everyday Main Street Americans—49 percent Republican and 51 percent either independent or Democrat; 70 percent conservative, but 22 percent moderate; 55 percent male; and 45 percent with annual income below $50,000, 55 percent above $50,000. In age, education, employment status and race the Tea Party supporters break down statistically almost exactly like the general population, according to Gallup polls." http://www.personalliberty.com/personal-liberty-articles/tea-parties-vs-socialist-redistributionists/
@ClassyCat (1214)
I am glad that the tea party has become a part of the political scene. As it has been said, there is a real variety of people that are joining themselves to this movement. I think it is sad that all of the things that are being said about them from the media and others, are downright slanderous! No one in government should ever rest in the false security that they can just 'run over the people's wishes, and not be challenged in any way, but that's what has been happening. We're going to vote out those that want to do their own thing - no matter what party they are with. It is time for the American voters to stand up and speak up, and VOTE. Remember what happened in Germany so many years ago. Don't think that something like that couldn't happen here. There are those who are working to "neutralize" us as a super power, and that is very evident. 'nuff said. C. C.
@bobmnu (8160)
Destiny I agree that it is a movement and not a political party and it is a narrow focused movement that is concerned with the size of government and the out of control spending. Because the movement has no established leadership and no overall organization but just the massive involvement of average citizens it must be discredited because the people in power are threatened by it. When the people fear the government you have tyranny, but when the government fears the people you have freedom. Power to the people.