How do you save money on clothing?

I was just looking at my laundry hanging on the laundry rack. I washed and hung my clothing. My daughter washed and used the dryer. I just realised I gave her my saved quarters to do it. Saving money is something I am trying to do. So hanging my laundry would be a good way to start. Buying off season clothing would be the next good way for me. If you go to sears right now you will save a ton on clothing for next winter. The sale is awesome. So friends how are you saving money on clothing?
@FrugalMommy (1447)
I was spending about $20 a week to wash and dry our clothes at the laundromat. I just got a Wonder Wash portable washing machine and a spin dryer, so now I can wash clothes at home. All I need to go to the laundromat to wash now is our blankets. I can wash everything else at home, so the machines have already paid for themselves. I just started using vinegar instead of fabric softener. A lot of Mylotters recommended it to me, and I'm surprised at how well it works. The clothes don't even smell like vinegar. It's so cheap, too. I bought two full gallons at Sam's Club for just over $3. When I buy clothes, I always go to the Goodwill stores. They have great sales throughout the month. Thursdays, certain tag colors go on sale for a buck each, so I shop for myself and my husband on those days. Every other Saturday everything in the store is 50% off. I shop for the baby on those days, because I can get outfits for her for 50 cents. I can get a whole new wardrobe for under $40 shopping like that. Sometimes I buy stuff just to sell it on Ebay, too.
That is what I just told the poster above you. I would buy at the goodwill all new with tags on clothing to resell on ebay. The handbags are nice too.
Do you mean u wash in that little bucket? how do you rince your wt clothes would it not be too hard for you. I would buy one if it rung out the water. I have a washer that I don't want to risk getting caught with.
I guess that's one way of putting it. It works kind of like a regular washing machine would, but you have to drain it by hand after washing the clothes, then add more water and crank it again to rinse it. It doesn't need more than one rinsing if you don't use too much soap. I like to rinse everything by hand under the faucet, too. I wring the clothes out by hand. With the electric spin dryer, you can just throw the clothes in wet. It will extract almost all the water that's still in them. I wring the clothes out by hand before putting them in the spin dryer because it doesn't have a container on the spout where the water comes out. I don't have a pan or bucket big enough to hold a lot of water so I have to make sure the one I do have won't run over when I'm using the spin dryer. The only complaint I have about the set is that it's kind of hard to balance the spin dryer at first. I never get it right the first time. Then I have to stop and rearrange everything so it doesn't vibrate all over the place.
@laydee (12814)
Yeah, hanging the clothes to dry would certainly save you a lot including those who have dryers at home since these things consume more energy than the washer. But, in the case where you don't have any place to dry them, it's best to use the dryer but with huge batches. I am also for saving money. I do so by trying to help my own little way. Like when I take a bath, I save the last batch of water I use to a huge container. The used water is the one I flush my toilet with. Similarly, paper that wasn't used thoroughly is cut into little squares where the blanks are kept for notes beside the telephone. Walking also helps because there are stores that are close to home, so instead of driving, I do a leisurely walk - if time permits. Taking food for lunch is also great. But the most way I save money on is by planning my day ahead, so I could just go out if it's really needed rather than going out everyday for something that could be achieved for one day.
I said I was going to buy a planner to start doing some planning.
@laydee (12814)
huh? when did you say that in your discussion?
@salja1 (49)
• Trinidad And Tobago
I agree with you, taking full advantage of Sales allows a person to save alot...Also it helps if you vacuum seal the clothes until the season require it...Saves storage too!!
I never thought of this part. i don't own a vacuum though.
@apples99 (6564)
I look for the best sales at my favorite retailers, or shop at local thrift stores I rarely pass up a good deal, and I do my best to shop for clothing that will last a long time clothing such as jeans, and plain T-shirts can last a long time, because T-shirts you can mix and match with other kinds of tops, and create a differnt look and jeans typically last a long time and can be worn with differnt kinds of blouses and they come in several colors and styles and are great for casual looks.
This is why I love to buy my levi jeans they last a long time too.
@lilybug (21148)
Oh, how I do not miss having to use a laundromat to wash my clothes. I have a washer and dryer in my house, so that saves me a little bit right there. I also get most of my daughters clothes from friends, thrift stores, and the clearance rack at the stores. My son has to wear uniforms to school, so that saves me from having to buy him a lot of new clothes. I got him some school uniform shorts at Kmart back in January on clearance for $1.75 a pair marked down from $14.99 a pair. That was a great buy.
I was wholesale shopping and found a place to buy them for two bucks a piece so i plan to sell uniforms in my booth in Florida.
@Fire10 (293)
Yeah, my wife and I have recently discovered thrift stores! Most of the ones that I have been to have been... fairly useless, but we moved to a new town and the thrift stores aren't near so picked-over! Yay! We've probably spent about $60 at one store over the past two months, but if we had bought those things at an other store I think we would have paid about $180 to $240. But yeah, thrift stores are great - all of the items we bought were in excellent used condition. :) not to mention it is sometimes like going to a clothing museum - several old items to look at that I'd never buy. It's kinda fun.
This is why I loved the good will in Miami. it was so clean and nice and set up like a dept store. I am moving back this summer yay me.
@carmelanirel (20979)
I just got a kohls 10.00 gift card along with an option to get an extra 15% off, if I sign up for a kohls card,on my order. So I'd go in and pick up things on clearance, and by using the gift card and the 15%, like the commerical says, you save more than you spend.. My daughter and I went last Monday (we should have waited another couple weeks) because she had a 20.00 certificate and she bought me a shirt and herself a shirt and belt. She spend just over 2.00 and saved over 80.00..Now that's a deal Then there is this church that on Wed. mornings they have the little shop of sharing opened. This is where you can donate clothing and housewares, but also you can pick up things for yourself. And you don't have to donate, but I do, after all, the clothes I had gotten from there is a lot and I feel to donate there is better than to donate somewhere else for tax credit that I won't see until tax season..
We have a church that gives out food and clothing too.
I go window shopping first so that I would know what cloth I would want to buy. Then I would save money. Atleast I know how much I would have to spend.
I don't like to window shop at all. I love to clearance shop a lot though.
I tend to buy on eBay, in local markets and in the cheaper end retail outlets. I also make my own clothes on occasion, so at least the dress I am wearing today is unique.
@callarse1 (4793)
There are so many ways, many second hand stores have cheap clothes, yard sales, eBay, or even using dealplus to help locate deals. Family members and friends are good, too. They can give you (hand down) used clothes for free. Buying off season, as you said, can save you a bunch on clothes. I love doing that!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Not buying any.
I try my best to shop in places such as goodwill. Money has been so tight lately and after paying our bills and the bare necessities we never have money for extra clothes. I am trying to make do with what I have. I wash clothes once a week.
Clearance racks are definitely my best friend. I learned from my mother at an early age to use those as my primary way of shopping for clothing. The reason that I've done this is because you can save the greatest majority of the original asking price of the clothing this way and the stuff is still just as good to wear as it was at the beginning of the season (they actually start making mark downs on the clothing at the beginning of the season, so you get a lot of immediate wear as well). Additionally, where it is possible, I like to buy my clothing used because things still have a lot of wear and are literally only a portion of the original price of the items.
@ebuscat (5949)
For me I want to wash our clothes so that I can save money to pay.
@a2beads (100)
I always buy clothes that have a classic look so it does not easily vary even if its another season. I save this way because I can mix and match my old and new to create more looks. I can buy only a few new pieces and still have many new looks. I also buy on sale and choose where I shop since other shops sell lower than others. Recently I tried buying online and that has proven to give more options for low priced clothes.
@Samanthavv (1386)
I do the same thing. I buy off season clothes a lot, but more for my children than myself. I rarely buy clothing for myself, and when I do, I usually get it off the clearance racks or at a thrift store. For my kids though, it's another story. They're growing like weeds, so I try to guess what size they'll be in by next year and buy it when its marked down to 70% off at the end of season sales.
I always impulsed to brought some clothes.It is a bad habit and waste a lot of money.and I have lots of clothes I never wear it.It is too bad.so I think we should take a consider before we buy a cloth.
@salonga (27964)
I save money on clothing buy purchasing them during SALEs. It gives me the opportunity to save up to 70% on some clothing and that is a big savings. So I always wait for the SALE that anyway comes every month.
i usually shop at local mom and pop stores. i stay away from branded items as these are too expensive for me. no sense buying overly-priced clothes. i also tend to buy basics in diffretn colors like shirts and polo shirts in white, black and gray. same thign with pants and shoes. i also wait for hand me downs from my uncle. lol! we basically have the same size and i get my share of clothes from him. kinda pathetic but it serves me well. lol! cheers!!!
Well, you're off to a greaet start by hanging the laundry, but make everyone in the household do it, and stick to it. If you can, get energy efficient washers. Wash in cold water, have Resolve or OxyClean to get stains out so you wont have to buy new cloths so often. Buying off season is also a great way to save. Visit consignment stores, and give your old clothes to consignment stores. Some will even pay cash for your gently used clothes. Salvation Army has half off Wednesday. If your income is low enough, you can get clothes for your family at a church nearby. Searching garage sales, eBay, and Craigslist is also a great way to find deals. Good luck on the hunt to get cheap clothes!!!