The internet is officially privatized.

This may have been posted about already, but deserves repeating. http://www.savetheinternet.com/blog/10/04/15/public-outcry-over-comcast-ruling-reaches-fcc Comcast was awarded the right to censor what you read online, preclude what you want you want to access, etc. For those of you who cried "free enterprise" over healthcare reform, what do you think about government regulation now? Hopefully the FCC can do something about this.
@spalladino (17925)
I'm torn about this, ladybug, and I'll tell you why. I don't trust the FCC when it comes to our ability to access information on the web. Of course, I don't trust Comcast either but at least, with private enterprise, the consumers have some power. If the FCC were allowed to control the internet...to set standards...what's to stop them from setting standards in the future that we don't agree with? I'm not all that comfortable with the FCC requirement that all television stations go digital either. Too much control from a government entity can leave us vulnerable to becoming deaf, dumb and blind. Any legislation giving the FCC power over the internet must be very specific and tightly controlled in order to avoid future possible abuses.
I had thought about that for a while, but, I firmly believe that this administration wants open access to anywhere on the net. I think what comcast can do is yield to the highest bidder. There are rumours that they will default to their own search engines. They have the monopoly - so they can easily do what they want. There was no need for this consumer or merchant wise. We already pay for internet access. They did this strictly to get more money, because they were being left out. Other companies are involved, too, from what I can tell: AT&T and Verizon. I agree that it would have to be very specific and tightly controlled if the FCC were to be given any power - no argument there at all. It's the teeter-totter again - government power or corporate power? In both cases, money talks. This could have been avoided - it never needed to be a debate or a consideration. They could have left the internet the way it was, but comcast got greedy. All us mylotters obviously use the internet. I am sure we want it protected, with no censorship. It's just a frustrating scenario.
@spalladino (17925)
You're right, comcast did cheat. The FCC really could have reclassified the internet a long time ago...and I believe they still can. Like I said, I'm torn. I don't trust the FCC but I see what the internet providers can do, too, if there's no one to stop them.
@anniepa (27238)
Isn't it amazing how "the government" is our mortal enemy even though it's the big corporations that make the biggest differences in our lives, and NOT in a good way? Annie
@jb78000 (15173)
i have noticed that many people who go apoplectic at the idea of government having more control are only too happy to allow big corporations to have more control.
I think corporate personhood should no longer be legal. Two cities in Pennsylvania have outlawed it. The thing about government vs corporations is that at least we have some influence and involvement in the governmental process. Corporations don’t care to hear us unless we are their test market, or subject matter. It’s not like it’s an increase in gas prices where we can orchestrate a boycott, how many of us will boycott the net? It’s like boycotting water. We are dependant on it. People even called net neutrality “The government takeover of the internet”.
@quinnkl (1668)
Well I am totally against any type of censorship, so I am appalled by this. This is just ridiculous.
It’s a scary premise, isn’t it?
@Taskr36 (13925)
I don't think it's a coincidence that this happened under your hero's administration. Of course I'm sure you'll somehow blame republicans when democrats have had a supermajority in congress and the most left wing president of our lifetimes. Face it, your party let you down. If Obama really cared, he would have been pushing legislation to change this almost two weeks ago when this happened.
He campaigned on this back in 2007, oh smart one. Look at the video I showed above, and Hillary Clinton, too, has been all over the news promoting net nuetrality. Wake up - Obama's still cleaning up Bush's messes.
@Taskr36 (13925)
Lol, you're still believing his campaign promises? I guess that means you believe he hasn't hired any lobbyists, hasn't raised taxes on people making under 250K, has ended no-bid government contracts, allowed five days of public comment before signing bills, or maybe, you still believe he won't mandate health insurance. You know, because he reamed Hillary for saying she would. What he said on the campaign trail means NOTHING. It's what he DOES that means something and he's done absolutely nothing for net neutrality. His talk is meaningless. By the way, we HAD net neutrality under Bush, all 8 years. It was under Obama that it ended. Thank your messiah for it.
Look at you jumping all around on topics, after saying that is all I do. His campaign promise for Obamacare went through, he has done much more to rid his administration of any lobbyists than any of his predecessors, which I have mentioned in another thread, but would be happy to discuss further if you need links. You actually told me in another thread about net nuetrality that A) It was not an issue and B) It was congress's fault. And, this, my dear, was the fault of the courts, not of Obama. The conservative heavy courts. It is the dems right now trying to get the FCC to do something about it, while the republicans are busy buying as much comcast stock as possible. The middle class received some very nice tax cuts this year. Taskr - you are clinging on to some weird obsessive hope that you can prove me wrong by following me from thread to thread. I understand your passion, and I am glad you have chosen me to focus on, but in the past few days, I have managed to show you wrong on at least 7 topics, and I am still gathering information to prove you wrong on more. Do you have a hobby or anything? Don't you want to save some face at some point? Don't get me wrong - I enjoy laughing at you when you think you hve made some amazing point and then watch you shrivel when I prove you wrong, and then you lash out at whatever you can next. I am flattered that you have chosen me, but, don't you want to bug someone else? Look, we have our circus in the other thread. This matter is urgent to all across the board, so maybe you can cool it here, and let people discern for themselves what happened and what their next step is. Let's not take away from this topic here. If you must, you must, but be fair to the people who care about net nuetrality (which most mylotters will), and let them focus on that. They don't need to be dragged into more of our drama. We can reconvene in my other thread for our drama, but this is an urgent matter to dems and republicans, so try be respectful of that.
@maikeruk (406)
was unnoficially like that for a while. the big companies own in most of the world all the cables and satellites now so is the same what you see here. just more realistic.. sad but true