Is It Important?

@tessah (6638)
do you have really good communication channels with yer sig-other in all things? are you able to talk without things turning into a fight? are you able to turn a fight into a rational discussion without it turning vile exponentially? how important (and how good) are yer communication skills in yer relationship?
@gemini_rose (16194)
Yes, it is important and is currently one of the things that seriously bugs me about my other half. How come I never noticed it before I wonder haha. We do not fight in conversation, but I cannot have a mature conversation with him very often without him either lowering the tone or making some stupid sarcastic comment to everything I am trying to say. In the end I just shut my mouth and do not bother speaking because whats the point when someone just does not have it in them to have a decent conversation.
Good communication is important in a relationship but we can't avoid arguments that may arise. But most of the time, i prefer having an argument cuz i noticed that that's when we say everything that we want the other to understand. That way, i'll understand her more clearly and adjust myself accordingly and the same for her.
I think there are times that we are unable to communicate effectively because most of the time it turns out to be an argument. I really don't mind whether he will get mad with what I am trying to tell him as long as I remain honest and true with whatever I feel. I can see that he respects my comments and opinions however he really cannot control himself not to react negatively, which I find very strange. When it comes to others, he doesn't show that kind of attitude, only when it comes to me. I wonder why.
@sid556 (31018)
Actually my sig other is a best friend with benefits. It is awesome. We are 100% honest and we get along amazingly well. We have never had so much as one argument. We've been doing this for nearly 10 years now and we don't even question it anymore. it is was it is. it's not for everyone but for us it works. He has gone off and dated others and so have I and we always come back to each other. Even when we are dating others, he is my best friend and I'm his. no complaints.
@Opal26 (17694)
Hey tess! Once again, I have another problem in this area too! I can communicate, but my bf keeps everything all bottled up inside! He is not very good at communicating anything until it get's to the point where he is fed up! He won't talk then and walks out! That isn't exactly what I call great communication skills! I try to talk to him, but it is just a one way deal so I end up getting aggravated and he goes to sleep once again ignoring the important issues so that nothing ever gets fixed or changes!
@Draeke (324)
well, uhhmmm, :) you know how mine are, they are getting better and we do not fight when the words don't come out quite right. It's preferred to be able to talk things out with a somewhat calm mind than screaming, been there. It helps when the other half is more responsive than combattive with misunderstandings and disagrrements.
My skills? Well I have to admit that I have sometimes gone off a little too fast on him (anger) at times, but I am trying to improve that. It seems he is as well. I am also getting much better at turning what could turn into a fight into a rational discussion. I'm trying to make him understand that just because we disagree on something doesn't mean it has to be world war 3, ya know? In fact, being here on mylot, and communicating here, has actually taught me alot that I am beginning to be able to implement good changes for both of us.
@kquiming (2999)
I don't have problems with communication right now with the people in my life these times around. I think self control is the key to avoid yelling and screaming when arguing, it's always best to sit down and talk about things calmly and objectively.