Is it ok to swallow a tooth?

United States
April 21, 2010 7:47am CST
My 7yo was eating breakfast and just lost a tooth. She can't find it and thinks she may of swallowed it! I don't think there's anything I can do and it's small enough it should pass thru w/o trouble.
11 responses
@dragon54u (31352)
• United States
21 Apr 10
I don't think it will hurt her. I swallowed a crown once and it didn't hurt anything but my pocketbook! I tried and tried to get it to come up but no luck. I never found it again! If you're really worried, call your dentist. I'm sure it won't do her any harm.
1 person likes this
• United States
26 Apr 10
I'd agree that would certainly hurt your pocket book swallowing a crown! Ouch!
@cher913 (25895)
• Canada
21 Apr 10
i dont think that it will cause any troubles. my daughter did the same thing with no ill affects.
1 person likes this
• United States
21 Apr 10
Hello Snuggle...I have often wondered the same thing so a few years back when my son started losing his teeth I asked his doctor because I just wanted to know and his doctor told me that there is no harm in swallowing your teeth other than you don't have it to put under your pillow for the tooth fairy...which stinks for the kids but saves the parents a few bucks LOL But he said it will just pass through fine and because they are not the sharp you don't have to worry about it ripping or cutting anything when it goes down and out....
1 person likes this
• Indonesia
21 Apr 10
i don't mean to make you scared. but, have you consulted to a doctor about that incident? i just worry that a tooth is made of bone which is hard and can't be digested. it may harmful one day.
1 person likes this
@sheanne (440)
• Philippines
21 Apr 10
Hello snugglebunnies, nothing to worry about the tooth. It will be eliminated normally in her feces, unless it was swallowed in a wrong way, passing to the lungs which is dangerous. You can even check out her stool if you really want to make sure. Happy mylotting.
1 person likes this
@dorannmwin (36695)
• United States
23 Apr 10
Your daughter is not the first person in the world to have swallowed a tooth and I'm sure that she won't be the last person that has ever swallowed a tooth. You are absolutely correct that it is small enough that it should pass without a problem. And, thankfully it is a tooth and not a crown or something like that because those are expensive and a lot of people need to find them so that they don't have to go through that expense again to get it replaced. Just tell her to leave a note for the tooth fairy and everything should be okay.
@katsmeow1213 (28990)
• United States
22 Apr 10
My oldest swalled his first lost tooth.. and his second. I don't remember there being any sort of complications what so ever. I'm sure most kids have swallowed a tooth at some point, because it's common to lose a tooth while eating.
@Hatley (161713)
• Garden Grove, California
21 Apr 10
hi 2snuggleBunnies nope I don't think theres a thing you can do.if she swallowed it and ate a normal sized meal it should just pass through her system and come out in her feces. She might take care to eat that day a little more food with fiber to coat the tooth if she did swallow it. I really think you do not have anything to worry about.
@lilybug (21182)
• United States
21 Apr 10
Had it been something bigger then I would probably check her stools to make sure it passed, but with the tooth being so small it should be no problem. Might be a little freaky for a 7 year old to think she swallowed a tooth, but other than that no biggie. My 10 year old son woke up a few weeks ago with a tooth in his mouth and he almost swallowed it.
• Philippines
21 Apr 10
One time my son also thought he swallowed his tooth when he woke up without it. After two days, the househelp found it under his bed. lol Anyway, I think it will pass thru after a day or two like any seed or nut that they usually eat. If you're still uncomfortable though, you can seek the advice of a doctor or her pediatrician just to be sure.
@Shar19 (8236)
• United States
21 Apr 10
I'm sure plenty of kids have swallowed a tooth at some point. I wouldn't worry about it though. If it would make you feel better you could always call her pediatrician. I'm sure it will pass in a day or two.