Self Check Outs

@laglen (19782)
Do you ever use these? A lot of big chain stores have installed these. I use them when I am in a hurry. Do you wonder how many jobs that takes away. Did the store reflect that savings on the prices? What are your thoughts?
@redhotpogo (4419)
I've worked for a big chain store that had those self checkouts, but it didn't really take jobs away. They still had the same amount of cashiers as before, they just got them for big crowds of people. Most of the time they aren't even on. And even with those machines many people prefer to have someone else check them out, cause they're afraid they'll do something wrong and look stupid. And then of course you need people to watch those machines because things always do go wrong. I prefer them anyway if possible. Usually the cashiers are too slow. Its annoying when someone is in front of you taking their sweet time looking through their purse to find exact change, or the cashier is going on and on about her life story. I like to just put my stuff on the belt, slide my card, and get out of there.
@laglen (19782)
Thank you for that first hand opinion.
@coffeebreak (17820)
I definately will not use them. First, like ATM's, they are taking away jobs - cashiers and bag boys. Second..I prefer to have a human handling my transaction and money so if there is a problem, I have assistance right then and there and don't have to go looking for someone to come fix the problem. Third...if I have to pay the high prices...there is no way on God's green earth that I am going to do all the work myself! I have to ring everything up, I have to do the monitary transacting, and I have to bag and cart everything...and still pay the same price as when all that is done for me? Heck no, I will not use self check out. BTW - there was ONE time my husband deciced to use on at a Lowe's store...we had a roll of tape and 2 people were in the one lane that was open. We followed the instructions and it didn't ring up the right price and we had to go find someone to help and stand there and wait...both of those 2 people that were in line were now gone, and a third person that we would have been in front of, was just finishing up. We could have been gone if we had been in the cashier line instead of the self check out line.
@laglen (19782)
I am gonna go out on a limb and guess you feel pretty strongly about this? I understand and you have very good points!
@coffeebreak (17820)
Stay on the limb...I admit.. I do feel strongly about it. This kind of stuff takes away jobs. Same thing with ATM...for every ATM, they no longer need 2-3 tellers. Hasn't effected me any as I am not in that line of work, but still. Bad enough the illegals are given our jobs but to have to loose them to a machine? That's pathetic
@laglen (19782)
lol good point. I am more impatient tho. And if I need help, at our Walmart, the guy that attends the self checkouts, always hangs around talking to me. So I get very fast service. Even if I have headphones on. lol
depends on what store,some of them are a pain in the *ss. last time i went to home depot,a clerk had to come over because it wasn't reading the bar codes,and it took twice as long as it normally would.
@laglen (19782)
lol all for your convenience!
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
I use them when I'm just running in the store for a few items. It quicker then waiting on a long line. I honestly don't think they are taking jobs away from people because I believe alot of people are afraid to use them. I never see a person with a big shopping cart of stuff using the self service check outs. Its usually used for a small shopping trip.
@laglen (19782)
I am always behind the person with a cart full. But then at the manned checkout, I am always behind the check writer that doesnt take out their wallet until after everything is through, then feels the need to balance their check book right there at the check out.....
I try not to unless they are the only ones available. My husband and I will wait in longer lines in order to get a "human checkout". We know that if we go through self checkouts, we are working for free for the store, and that doesn't sit well with me. The store is looking to cut costs, sure, but making its customers work in order to leave the store with a purchase? No...sorry, I'm not doing it! I am going to a store to GET service, not give it!
@laglen (19782)
Good point thank you for another view.
I like to use self checkouts. No, I don't think that the stores cut prices when they got them.
@laglen (19782)
Thank you for your response
@cher913 (25890)
of course they wont pass along the savings and i have found in stores, they still need staff to moniter them anyways.
@laglen (19782)
1/4 or 1/6 ratio that I have seen.
@cbeee3 (2064)
I have used Self-Check outs. But I do it rarely just as you do, when I am in a rush. This discussion topic is really great. I never thought about all the questions you asked and the points you made. Those self-check outs do help us customers out, but they sure would be taking away the jobs. That is a sad flip-side come to think of it. As far as savings on the prices, I don't think so. All these huge stores are out to make money. That is what I think. What about you?
@laglen (19782)
I have not seen a savings reflected. I do wonder about the cost of maintaining them.
Depends on the store I am in as to weather I will use self check out. Often use them in stores where the customer service is poor. The way I figure it is at least I give myself good customer service. As for jobs that it elminates, I sometimes think has added jobs because they have to have someone standing there watching people check themselves out and there are the same number of check outs open. And those self checkouts are always going down or requiring an attendant.
@laglen (19782)
At our Walmart, we have one attendent for 4 registers. At King Soopers, there is 1 attendent for 6 registers.
@hvedra (1623)
The few times I've tried to use one it has had a problem and I ended up getting a member of staff to fix it! They are slower than a human operated check out in my experience. No store reflects it's "savings" on prices, it's all about profit!
@laglen (19782)
I wonder if they make or spend more maintaining the machines.