Is SNL funny anymore?

@olisaur (1932)
Is it just me, or is Saturday Night Live losing its luster? I like to watch the show, but I find myself laughing a lot less than say the SNL reruns from the '90's or early 2000's (with Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Mike Myers, Tina Fey, Will Ferrell, etc.). I was watching one episode a couple weeks ago with my friends, and one made the remark: "This is a really un-funny episode of SNL." Another replied, "SNL Not being funny? Tell me something new." Do you find the recent seasons of SNL funny?
@dragon54u (31636)
I answered this this morning and myLot malfunctioned so my short answer is not very funny anymore. I watch comedy shows to laugh but SNL is too political. And not funny a lot of the time.
@olisaur (1932)
Yes, I agree. Recent SNL shows are wayyy to political. It seems like the older ones were more centered around characters and evertday life and such. I think the writers need to take a step back and write about sillier things.
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
I have watched from time to time over the years depending on who is hosting the show. I think the beginning years were funny. However, for years now I just have found that more skits are stupid and not funny at all. There are some that are very funny but they are few and far between. I'm really so surprised that the show is still on the air after all these years. What they need to do is bring back the original cast (whoever is still with us) and do a reunion SNL that would be alot of fun to watch.
@olisaur (1932)
That sounds like it would be funny- they should bring back old cast members for a special. ^o^
@kel1483 (986)
I started watching SNL during the early/mid 90's. I think maybe I got spoiled because that time was sooo good, that now none of the new stuff seems as good. Back then having Adam Sandler, Mike Meyers, Chris Farley, David Spade and Norm MacDonald made it so funny. After those guys stopped being on it started not being as good. Then a while back I started watching again, like when Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, Jimmy Fallon and people like that were on. It was funny then, too. Lately, I agree that it just isn't as funny. The writing isn't as good and there aren't many of the stand out stars like that used to have; people that will do well outside the show.
@sender621 (14956)
When SNL first came on the scene, i was a devoted fan. Chevy Chase, Jane Curtin, John Belushi and Dan Akroyd were a great ensemble. Comic genius such as they possessed are just not as common to the current cast of SNL. SNL can still have its great moment, but they could learn a thing or two about the true spirit of comedy from past episodes.
@burrito88 (2779)
I started to lose interest in SNL way back in the early days after the original cast left. To my mind John Belushi was one of the best that the show ever had. The periodic shows with Steve Martin were also great as were the occasional appearances of Andy Kaufman. After that Eddie Murphy made the show worth watching but after he was gone, I don't think the show maintained the same quality as it did in the beginning. It's gotten stale.