What do you really remember of your teachers in school?

There might be a few teachers you may remember from school that taught you well . . . who had such a grasp of what education was all about . . . that you had such respect for and are ever so grateful for having them as a teacher. But what about the teachers you REALLY remember? There are teachers that I have vivid memories of . . . I don't remember what exactly I learned from them, but certainly they stick out in my mind. I remember . . . My history teacher from 9th grade. She was "older" but had the punk look with short, bright red hair like Annie Lennox in Eurythmics. Another history teacher from 8th grade. I remember he always had a runny nose and long lugies would drip off his nose - he'd wipe it with one hand thinking no one noticed. An English teacher from 12th grade. He was "oldish", and had his shirt unbuttoned halfway down with a big chain hanging from his neck. It's as if he was trying to look "sexy" but he looked creepy. And there are others. What are some crazy things you remember about your teachers?
@phoenix8606 (4978)
hell0! I remember all the good and bad things from the days at school( the primary and the high-school), but what I remember from my teachers is only good. teachers for us are actually like second parents because we spend almost the half of the day at school with our teachers and we feel them really close sometimes, especially when the teachers is someone who really knows what teacher means and not only being a teacher for the sake of the money he/she get for that job, because all my teachers were good ones, and they have shown and taught me many things! the first one was my teacher from the primary school- I still remember her name- Pepa Neofitova, and how good was she with me and not only with me, but with all others around me. well, she learnt me writing, reading, counting... she gave me and the others the grounds in this life and I am really thankful to her. then it came my teacher in foreign language at the high-school and the teachers in math and literature, whom I own a lot, for giving me the knowledges that I have today and even then not just nowadays, I realized how much they have done for me. I still remember how we spent more than 4 hours every day with the teacher in foreign language, how she helped us with the houseworks, how she supported us, even when we got on her nerves, she never shouted us or punished us somehow. The teacher in literature, who actually shown me what I am made for and what is my catling, her am I also much grateful. sometimes she shouted us, but I know it was for good, just to make us being quiet and read all the books we must read. And last but not least the teacher in math. i still meet her on the street while i am walking out in my home town, and every time I stop to talk with her and to tell her how am I now and to know how is she, because she was one of the best for me at the high-school! hope everyone here remember their teachers only with good things
That's great you remember your teachers good sides! You seem to really appreciate what you have been taught by your teachers and are grateful to them - you must have done well in school! I know I learned from all of my teachers, but admittedly there were a lot of quirky things many of them did that made them more memorable than just their teaching styles. Hee hee.
yeah, I remember all the good things they have done for me, because there weren't actually any bad things, at laest from the ones that I have mentioned, because they taught me on so many things that I can only be grateful to them, and feel no anger or dislike. I think that if we put ourselves on their place and see how some students behave with teachers, how they insult them and treat them like some junk, then we all will realize how wrongwe were, when we told that teachers are bad with us, or something like that :)
That is true. When we're young, we tend to blame the teachers for whatever ill feelings there were, but it was probably our behavior that made them react the way they did. Teachers must surely put up with a lot of that! It's best to help ourselves to allow teachers to help us . . . that's what they're there for . . . benefit from it, or don't!
@doryvien (2293)
Hi much2say, I remember my Population Education teacher (PopEd) in high school, he was openly gay when during the time (like more than 20yrs ago), gays couldn't come out in the open specially in the teaching field. But we all adored him for his humor and very witty remarks. We assumed the school couldn't get rid of him coz he was the best in his field. I'll never forget a very rude PE teacher who always played favorites, and all his favorites were those who were physically attractive but dumb girls. But most of all, I'll never forget my Psychology teacher in the university. She had great influence in me that I shifted my major course from Accounting to Psychology.
What is PopEd? I guess we didn't have that in high school. I'm trying to recall if there were any gay teachers in my time, but I can't - if there were - they probably hid the fact. We had a PE teacher like yours - he wasn't rude, but he did favorite the pretty girls. Wow - and going from accounting to psychology, that's a major switch . . . it's cool when teachers can actually bring out something within you to change your original plans for the better (well, hopefully better - hee hee).
@doryvien (2293)
PopEd is Population Education, it was an elective/special subject offered to high school students, it tackles population in general, demography, population issues and control, family planning. It aimed to give formal education to high school students (teenagers) about population, reproductive health, and the risks of getting pregnant early.
Interesting! That wasn't offered in my high school (but we are talking many years ago!). The only class that I think that was similar would have been plain old health class. It's interesting now that they bring up population as a class now!
@dawnald (84148)
• Shingle Springs, California
There was "shorty", Mr. Bernstein, a history teacher who was really boring. Mrs. Garrick who had kind of 50's hair. Mr. Berman who got fired for getting involved with a student. The PE teacher who wouldn't let me wear knee socks. The PE teacher, MRs. Kennedy, with the really nasty burn scar on her arm. I don't really remember too many weird or crazy things...
Heh heh - I think you remember teachers like I do! I forgot to list a couple more. One teacher went out with Dinah Shore (I think that's who it was) and I think it was from being on The Dating Game or something similar on tv. And another teacher claims that Elvis made a pass at her. Hmmmmmm!
The first teacher that comes to my mind is my first grade teacher, Ms. Mitchell. She was never married and she treated her students like they were her own children. She did a lot of travelling with her church and when she returned from her travels she always brought a present for her students. I still have a couple of those things to this day. In addition to that, it was eight years after I was in her class and five years after my brother was in her class that our father passed away and when she heard about it, she went to the grocery store that was directly behind the school that she taught at and bought a bunch of groceries for our family. Recently she ran into my mother at Chik Fil A and remembered myself and my brother immediately and asked about us by name. The other teacher that really stands out in my mind was my eighth grade algebra teacher. Mr. Stivers was one of those male teachers that felt that a female student would never stand out the same way that a male student does. It was because of him that I learned that I really had to work hard to achieve what I wanted to as a student.
Your first grade teacher taught you more than just school work . . . she sounds like a good person through and through. And thoughtful at that. How amazing she remembered you and your brother by name after all these years! Funny about your algebra teacher . . . the reverse psychology thing made you a higher achiever (but boo on him for saying such a thing!).
@stanley777 (7177)
I remember their faces and some even their names. But memories, I also remember some- those very unforgettable experiences in which I didn't listen to them and was scolded. But I loved my teachers, they've taught me a lot and without them I would not graduate.
Oh yes, I remember those times of being scolded. I was usually the quiet kid, so there wasn't much for them to scold at me for . . . but on occasion I probably did some stupid stuff that deserved some harsh words or two. I will some teachers were good and others were mediocre, but without any of them, you are right - we would not have graduated.
@jologs07 (38)
What i remember about them in general is how they treat us (students). How they teach good values. Teaching skills is still they same, what's new is just their materials used because nowadays computer is more useful than books. But somehow teachers are still important to community because they are the one teaching students to become professionals.
A great teacher will make a difference in a student's life. I sure remember exactly how each teacher treated us . . . some were excellent in how they taught . . . others, well, probably should not have been teachers (looking back now). That is true there is a bigger usage of computers these days rather than books for teaching.
@RobtheRock (2485)
I remember that my 6th grade teacher's son used to play football for the high school team. She used to encourage me and put me on special school projects. She had a swimming party for our class and that was something to remember My music teacher was a darling. She put me in the May Festival where I had to do acrobatics with the other kids. In sixth grade I was in her choir in the May Festival. She also let a girl I had a crush on teach our class. My third grade teacher was a woman who left the classroom and you could always hear her shoes "clacking" towards our classroom. My second and fourth grade teachers were very pretty. The fourth grade teacher gave us a hotdog party. My first grade teacher flunked me. She used to live across from the school and still remembered me up to about fifteen years ago when I saw her and my fourth grade teacher at the post office. In seventh grade I didn't do my math homework, so one night I decided to call this girl I had a crush on, being shy, I asked her how to do the homework. The next day, our math teacher asked for the assignment. Anyone not turning in homework had to come to the head of the class and get a hand swap on the butt. Eight kids got a hand spanking. When the Black kid's turn came, she got a paddle and whacked his butt. My eighth grade math teacher was very pretty and I started getting interested in math because of her. I have lots of high school teachers but I've said enough already.
Wow - you sure remember a lot of details about your teachers from school! If I thought about it harder, I can probably see more objectively how my teachers taught us in school. Some were cool and motivating or inspiring - others were goofy and we can only remember the oddest things about them. Oh- I don't know about the butt swapping - can't get away with that nowadays!
hello friendds .... in my school life i have many crazy teachers with i have spent good time n lot of fun. 1st is my physics teacher in 12th class,he is very lazy guy, he teaches slowly,walk slowly,the time he takes to reach from one class to another is like we waiting for long. but we have lot of fun with him. when we teaches us, we usually made missed calls on his cellphone when he teaches.distract him and he stops teaching.he takes xcuses from class.spend time worth which whole class likes that. other than that i have my maths teacher in 10th class.he is totally fun. he makes different eyes expression when teaching,scolding which is like MR.bean.
Hee hee - I love the stories about such crazy teachers. Oh, your poor physics teacher - ha ha - I'm sure you had a lot of fun with him (those kinds of teachers are great to pull pranks on). And it's funny when we remember certain teachers for their quirky ways - not their teaching skills!
• Bulgaria
I had some very memorable teachers. But not necessarily for all the right reasons. I remember my 10th grade mathematic teacher.Mathematic is hard for me :D ! Good day all!
Math was not my best subject - that's for sure. I feel sorry for one math teacher that I had . . . he was my homeroom teacher for 2 years - and he thought I was a "sweet" kid. But then he thought I changed and he thought negatively of me - and then I got him as a math teacher. I didn't do well in his class and I feel bad that he was disappointed in me.
@1anurag1 (3580)
yes there were even many. many teachers in my school life were ideal teachers. they did not use to teach us merely for earning their salary. they really cared for us. they beat us they care for us. they used to tell good things to us. i cant forget my childhood ever.
Wow - did some of your teachers really beat you? Where I live, no teacher could get away with that. But it's good when you can have teachers that truly care about you and your education. I think those teachers are the ones who should be paid well (here, the teachers are not being paid well at all). Glad you had such wonderful teachers in your childhood!
I liked a few of my teachers and still say Hello if I see them around town. With the teachers I liked I thought that the way the taught was good and you could also have a bit of fun with them compared to other teachers. I found that I performed better in the subjects which I liked the teachers in.
I agree - I think I was really motivated to learn from the teachers I got along with or at least could relate to. I am remembering another teacher who used to give us a reward if we did our math well . . . she would give us this special candy made from special sugar from Hawaii (ha ha - all it was were those tiny candy canes from Christmas). She was silly, but it made us motivated to do better in her math class.
I had some very memorable teachers. But not necessarily for all the right reasons. I remember my 8th grade geography teacher. He used to spell Australia as 'Austraya'. Now, that err may have been acceptable if we weren't actually being educated in - you guessed it - Australia! (I often wonder if was his ongoing attempt at humour. I sincerely hope that it was. Otherwise it's just really sad.) I remember my 11th grade computer studies teacher. He was talking to the class about CDs and CD players. He 'revealed' that - while they had a greater storage capacity than casettes - they were limited by the fact that the average person would never be able to record onto them. In order for people to record onto them, he stated that they would need a 'laser engraving machine the size of a house'. I remember my 11th grade maths teacher. She was the first and only teacher I've ever had a crush on. I remember my 11th grade maths teacher. (Sorry, but she deserves to be mentioned twice.) I remember my 12th grade English teacher. She had the most profound impact of any teacher on me. She took my love of writing and turned it into a passion. Speaking of passions, did I mention my 11th grade maths teacher...?
Say, did you ever have a crush on any of your teachers? Hee hee. I was trying to think back if I had a crush on any of mine - um, nope - ha ha! Those are hilarious stories about the teachers you remember . . . some of them you just want to smack in the head, eh? That's awesome about your 12th grade English teacher - how inspiring!