Unfrickin believeable

@laglen (19780)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100429/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/lt_mexico_migrants_1 MEXICO CITY – Amnesty International called the [b]abuse of migrants in Mexico a major human rights crisis Wednesday, and accused some officials of turning a blind eye or even participating in the kidnapping, rape and murder of migrants. [/b] The group's report comes at a sensitive time for Mexico, which is protesting the passage of a law in Arizona that criminalizes undocumented migrants. The Interior Department acknowledged in a statement that the mainly Central American migrants who pass through Mexico on their way to the United States suffer abuses, but attributed the problem to criminal gangs branching out into kidnapping and extortion of migrants. Rupert Knox, Amnesty's Mexico researcher, said in the report that the failure by authorities to tackle abuses against migrants has made their trip through Mexico one of the most dangerous in the world. "Migrants in Mexico are facing a major human rights crisis leaving them with virtually no access to justice, fearing reprisals and deportation if they complain of abuses," Knox said. Central American migrants are frequently pulled off trains, kidnapped en masse, held at gang hideouts and forced to call relatives in the U.S. to pay off the kidnappers. Such kidnappings affect thousands of migrants each year in Mexico, the report says. Many are beaten, raped or killed in the process. One of the main issues, Amnesty says, is that migrants fear they will be deported if they complain to Mexican authorities about abuses. At present, Article 67 of Mexico's Population Law says, "Authorities, whether federal, state or municipal ... are required to demand that foreigners prove their legal presence in the country, before attending to any issues." The Interior Department said the government has taken some steps to combat abuses and Mexico's legislature is working to repeal Article 67 "so that no one can deny or restrict foreigners' access to justice and human rights, whatever their migratory status." The Amnesty report said one female migrant told researchers that Mexican federal police had forced her group off a train and stolen their belongings. Forced to walk, she said, she was subsequently attacked by a gang and raped. The Interior Department said it shares Amnesty's concern, and called the report "a valuable contribution." [b]Mexico has long been offended by mistreatment of its own migrants in the United States. [/b] The Arizona law — slated to take effect in late July or early August — makes it a state crime to be in the U.S. illegally and allows police to question anyone they suspect of being an illegal immigrant. Mexico has complained that the law would lend itself to racial profiling and discrimination. Is it necessary for me to comment? Mexico needs to worry about itself, figure out WHY their citizens have to sneak into the US in the dead of night, in the desert and so on and so on.
Okay, seriously? People need to stop bashing this new law. First off, I think its exactly what we need, even here in California. And secondly, if I were to go to a different country I would have to have my papers on me to show that I am just visiting. Thats how it is in EVERY country. So why is it suddenly racial if we do the same? Secondly, in this new law, there are actual things in the bill saying that police can't racially profile. That there needs to be a good reason to stop and ask, not just because they look hispanic. But we really need to kick this law into gear. Has anyone else noticed that this civil war thing going on in Mexico is slowly starting spew across the border and into OUR country? I just don't understand why we aren't taking better measures to protect OUR citizens. Its not racial to be against illegal immigrants. People who think its a racial issue need to pay attention to the word Illegal. Maybe even look it up in the dictionary. I am not a racist person by any means. I just don't think we should have to pay our taxes so illegals, who DON'T have to pay anything can get health care and stuff like that. Not to mention the underground economy that they are creating. Its just a ridiculous issue we shouldn't even be facing. Anyways, thats just my two cents.
• Grand Junction, Colorado
phoenix, I couldn't have said it better myself. Everything that you said is absolutely correct. I looked up the word illegal immigrant-n. an alien (non-citizen) who has entered the United States without government permission or stayed beyond the termination date of a visa. Here is a link to Immigration Issues: http://www.fairus.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=16663&security=1601&news_iv_ctrl=1007 The only thing I will add to this, in my opinion we don't necessarily need more laws we need to inforce the ones we have. It is already illegal to enter the United States here is the code-8 U.S.C. § 1325 : US Code - Section 1325: Improper entry by alien. Here is another link stating it's a federal crime http://www.americanpatrol.com/REFERENCE/isacrime.html Great discussion and great response by phoenix, this is also my 2 cents worth!
@laglen (19780)
Thank you both of you for adding your to cents to the discussion. Regarding it already being a law, that is the funny thing, people are complaining about Arizona when it is already a federal law just not enforced.
@matersfish (6311)
No. Come on. This would be victim-on-victim violence. No way that can happen. Where are the dirty, racist, rich, greedy, white Republican Americans at? Everyone knows you need victimizers to have real victims. This report must be false and these supposed victims are obviously lying. It's only to be taken seriously if an immigrant reports such things done by an American. That way, it can be called racism and there's a clear cut reasoning. Oh, never mind. I get it now. I forgot what "social justice" was really about. Victims cannot be "bad" people. They're still victims of circumstance because of America's imperialism. If not for that, nothing bad would ever happen. Well, as bad as I do honestly feel for these victims, all of my snide sarcasm aside, I do have to point out a bright side: At least they weren't victims of racial profiling. Yes, Mexico should certainly get a handle on that before they try to work on their image by blasting American policy.
@laglen (19780)
unless their own Federal Police are rich Republican fat cats. I love the hypocrisy and the sociopaths see nothing wrong with what they are saying...
@jb78000 (15173)
there are some horrendous human rights abuses in south and central america (we'll include mexico in 'central' this time), and plenty are associated with illegal immigration. there's an argument you pair could use instead of coming over here, taking our jobs etc.
@laglen (19780)
You are right, that is why I posted this. I dont care too much about jobs, more the laws they are breaking and the money they drain from our economy.
@bobmnu (8160)
If we enforced the Mexican Immigration Law we would not have a problem. Where is the Liberal Outrage over this treatment of people. According to one report the largest and most valuable import to Mexico is the money being sent back for illegals who are working in the US. This is why they have such tough immigration laws to keep others from entering the US and taking jobs from Illegal Mexicans.
@laglen (19780)
so true, and when the economy started to tank, I read articles on poor Mexico, not receiving the money it used to..... it really chaps my asss
@hofferp (4739)
Mexico need to get its act together and clean house, before it complains about another's being dirty. And if it did get its act together, there wouldn't be much reason for Mexicans to sneak in to the U.S. would there? I love Article 67...it's ok for Mexico to require documentation to prove legal presence, but it's not ok for the U.S. to do the same? Talk about speaking with forked tongue!
@laglen (19780)
It is quite amazing I think. These leaders love to sit back, criticize and tell us how we should be doing things..... I think we need to bill Mexico for the illegals.