how can I travel with a dog with no papers?

I am moving out of state. My daughter was given a sweet little dog. we want to carry it with us. The airport said I need proof the dog is over 8 months to fly. I have no proof. The gray hound does not travel with pets. How can I get papers for this dog? The owner was given the dog when it was a baby. I am lost as to what comes next. thanks
I thought you were going to travel with a friend. If you go to the vet they can at least verify that the dog is over 8 months old, even if they cannot say exactly how old. You would probably have to have its shots for it to travel anyway, and a health certificate.
I agree you'll probably also need to have documentation that he's had his shots as I'm sure they want their handlers to be safe and you may have to get the dog something to calm them during the flight as well.
@owlwings (39875)
• Cambridge, England
It depends on the age of the dog, of course. If you know (or have reason to believe) that it's a lot older than 8 months a vet should be able to confirm that. I'm certain that a vet would be prepared to sign a statement to that effect if there was little doubt.
Someone has misinformed about the puppy having to be at least 8 months old. We had our puppy flown to us when she was 8 weeks old. Contact a major airline (Delta, American) to see what their requirements are. When we bought her, the people that had her had to get her a health certificate from the vet. It was approximately $300 dollars to have her flown from Mississippi to Virginia.
@Torunn (2810)
• Norway
Depending on how old the dog is, a vet should be able to give you some proof that it's an adult. A bit problematic if it's 9 month, I think it's difficult to judge it that accurately, but if it's an adult it shouldn't be a problem. You might need to microhip it so that it is not doubt which dog the paper's talking about.
i think it would be best if ur kid gave the dog away or sold it.. if ur really planning on moving out of state and ur not sure how to be able to bring the dog along with u and since it was just a gift to ur kid from someone then maybe ur kid should give it back to whoever gave the dog to her.
@phoenix8606 (4978)
well, if you are here in my country and you don't have to fly, and you prefer to travel by bus or train, there is no problem at all- you don't need any passes or any other proofs
@Java09 (3085)
I think I would ask my vet about this maybe they know something.Maybe they can give you something that proves your dog's age.
@lelin1123 (15643)
• Puerto Rico
Go to a vet and maybe they can give you a document stating the age of the dog. That is all I can think of since you don't have the original papers of the dog. I think a vet can look at a dog and give what the approximate age of the dog is. I don't know of any other options that you may have. Good luck and hope this helps you.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I have no idea. I have never had to. Maybe a vet could do that for you.
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya gifts, Like it´s being stated here in the responses I reckon you would need to have him checked over thoroughly for the Vet to give you an all clear and after that all the things he might need besides a chip of course. I don´t live there but that´s what I imagine and the sensible thing to do. I think that they would have to have some kind of thing going for problems like that when they come up. Some kind of special resolution for these animals. I imagine there must be a Vet that know those kind of things about going from one state to another. Good luck gifts.
@cream97 (29166)
The owner will have to see if they can possibly find a way to get the paperwork on this dog. And if they can't then maybe this can turn into your hands as the rightful owner. But, you may have to do some paperwork on this dog yourself. This is what I think, I am unsure if this is the right thing.
@bagputza (504)
• Belgium
Off i am trully sorry to writte this , but i dont have any experience in this field , have you tried going to a vet and ask him to take a look at your puppy , have him take a full analisys , and after the theets , paws and he's weight he might probably be able to tell if not the exact age of the puppy , but at least have an ideea of it , and explain him you situation and ask if if it is not possibile to give you a paperwork at hand ( some sort of Pedigree) that prooves that the puppy its elder then eight months. I really hope you manage to sort this problem out , hence i imagine myself without my beloved puppy and i go crazy . Best of wishes in solving your problem dear friend , hope i could of help even if just a little.