Obama takes digs at birthers, GOP, his advisers

President Barack Obama shared some words of wisdom on Saturday, saying there a few things in life harder to find and more important to keep than love. "Well, love and a birth certificate," Obama quipped at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner, poking fun at those who question his place of birth. "I happen to know that my approval ratings are still very high in the country of my birth." Obama was born in Hawaii, but birthers question whether he was born overseas. Obama also jabbed Jay Leno, the comedian headlining the dinner. Obama dinged Leno as "the only person whose ratings fell more than mine." http://portal.wowway.net/news/read.php?id=17852543&ps=1018&srce=news_class&action=5&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_NKNWU00L5_UNEWS I am thrilled that Obama has found his true calling as a stand up comedian. Now he can stop play acting as a president! Any comments?
@spalladino (17926)
I don't know how long they've been having the annual correspondents dinner but every president has had the same bit of fun that Obama had last night. The *roast* format of the event gives everyone a much needed opportunity to lighten up a bit.
@Taskr36 (13925)
"I don't know how anyone can still take this man seriously. Next he'll be doing magic." Sound familiar Spall? That's what you said about Palin when she did a little comedy to lighten the mood. http://www.mylot.com/w/discussions/2266747.aspx
@spalladino (17926)
Wow, taskr, I'm honored that my discussions are so memorable! But, you know as well as I do that there's a huge difference between speaking at a roast where everyone is expected to tell jokes, and appearing on a talk show where the expectation is that you have something interesting to talk about.
Well, in the interest of fairness to all talk shows and talk show guests out there, Jay Leno isn't exactly Dr. Phil. I used to be a huge fan of Leno when I was in my early twenties. I worked 10 hour days on the mountain cutting out power line taps, and I wouldn't get home until 11pm. A little bit of leftover stromboli and a few Bud Lights later, it was Leno time. Mondays with the headlines were my favorite. Anyway, in all the shows I watched, I never once saw a guest who was there to provide just interesting conversation. It seemed to be a pitch for something, a few good lines by Leno, a few bad lines by the guest trying to be a funny, a short story (I guess this could be the 'interesting' part? lol), and if the guests were really good sports, they would play along with the lampoon vibe. We're not talking about a dignified platform here where serious debate and heart-wrenching sob stories fly around often. It's late-night comedy where famous guests show a lighter, funnier side of their personality or else they won't make it back on the show.
@laglen (19782)
It is always smart to secure your next position before losing your current one!
Yes indeed...
@matersfish (6311)
Even if you use comedy to bash people and vent, which enough comedians do, it's still comedy. It's as much for a laugh as it is anything else. Comedy shouldn't be taken so personally... no matter who's doing it. It is, though, and I see a big difference in the way some treat Obama's jokes as opposed to someone like Palin trying to joke and vice versa. There's politics entering into humor to the point that a lot of people have to agree with someone politically before they'll laugh at something's that funny. That's happening all over the place, and as someone who constantly attempts to use humor to lighten the mood, I'm saddened over it. I'm certainly not put off by anything the President said. It's probably 100% accurate that he used humor to dish out some of his true feelings about folks. But he's human, not a god (despite what MSNBC thinks), and he probably relishes the opportunity to say what he feels with a twist of humor. The only thing that bothered me about the whole night was the uber team of kiss-azzes at the dinner, in media, and now all over the web. Obama was getting side-splitting laughter for simply opening his mouth. Leno, on the other hand, a professional and one of the most popular comedians of all time, drew crickets with some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard him say. So a lot on both sides are forgetting the fact that it was supposed to be humor and being a shill for the President: "Oh, he can do NO wrong. He's sooooooooooooo funny and soooooooooo great! Jealous much?" Others remain critical: "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" And for "I am thrilled that Obama has found his true calling as a stand up comedian. Now he can stop play acting as a president!" I found this to be very funny!
I think what you say about Obama getting side-splitting laughter from his toadies is actually what really sickens me about his supporters. Everything they do to show their support is so ueber kill. Here on myLot is a good example of their blind adoration which only adds fuel to my personal dislike of OB and his obvious egotistical and superior attitude. IMO BO is a perfect example of a person who believes their "shitz doesn't stink" Thank you for finding humor in my "true calling" comment!
You said exactly what I ask myself.... what it is about the guy that rubs me the wrong way? However most people of my age who are already retired have changed their opinion about him as their Medicare coverage and Social Security is in dire jeopardy. Especially BO's choices of having the fox guarding the economy hen-house is not a good idea .
For me, I cannot help but seeing dishonesty when I look at Obama. It's like every cynical thought I've ever had about a politician turned flesh. I believe he's an American-born man. I don't think he's a secret Muslim. I doubt he's as much of a wannabe commie as some he might associate with. But he just looks and sounds and acts like he's running game. I don't trust any of it.
You're just jealous that he's funnier than Bush as well as being a better President than the Republicans have produced since Eisenhower.
Now you have just proved that you are funnier than Bush if you think Oba-mao is a better president and I am most certainly not jealous of you.
Elsewhere, I've given a partial list of President Obama's accomplishments to date. What did Bush get right?
@anniepa (27244)
What did Bush get right? Hmmm...he was funny at a couple White House Correspondent Dinners? Annie
@anniepa (27244)
Personally I'm glad our President seems to be more than capable of multitasking! I'm not sure if you've seen any of the coverage after the dinner, but it seems President Obama has received very high marks from political friends and foes alike. I don't know about you but I'm glad our President is able to view the "birthers" with a sense of humor. Annie
Yeah right!! Good old Annie true to form!
Here is a president (who I did not vote for) mocking himself in a very funny way without sneering/snide remarks aimed at American voters such as your hero did. At the 92nd annual White House Correspondents Association dinner on April 29, 2006 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDPAUi3VPSo&feature=related
@anniepa (27244)
He's not "my hero", he's my President and YOURS for at least three more years, more likely SEVEN. I'm not sure what "sneering" or "snide remarks at American voters" you're referring to but he WAS making fun of the birthers which is quite justified in my opinion and that of most people from both sides of the aisle. I saw the dinner in 2006 and agree, it was very funny. All of those I've seen have been funny whether I'd voted for the President at the time or not. It really is possible to disagree with someone's policies without absolutely hating the human being and denying their very legitimacy! Annie
Thankfully the people on the United States get to decide who is president, and not the idiots on MyLot. God Bless America!!!!
Did you vote? If so do you consider yourself one of the idiots you are referring to? I did but just because I post on myLot does not make me an idiot.
I did vote of course. I vote in every election. I am not one of the idiots on here who spend their entire day attacking everything the president does. If you don't like him you will have a chance in four years to elect someone else. I just think it is funny how people on here don't understand what this country has gone through, and how much worse shape we could be in.
By the way, I didn't call you an idiot. If you look at my post you will have to decide if you fit into the group I am referring to. But, I didn't specifically call YOU an idiot.
@epicure35 (2822)
Usurper BHO is about as lowlife as a person can go. He is neither smart nor funny. He is, however, evil as can be, and arrogant in his criminality. All the more diabolical is his "birth certificate" smokescreen scam, which only serves to distract the foolish from the fact that it is his father's non-citizenship that makes him FOREVER INELIGIBLE to be legally, constitutionally president in this country. He gloats every day in his despicable way about his deceptive distraction that "fools most of the people most of the time" because they don't even know their own constitution. That's why he also continues to rob us of our constitutional rights while conferring them on terrorists. The liar, himself, even admitted to being a British citizen at birth, identifying himself as a dual-national, INELIGIBLE, but he hopes his fanatic fans will simply forget the facts because he's so cute and adorable (YUK)!
I totally agree with your response. Thank you!
@epicure35 (2822)
Dear Whiteheather, Thank you for bringing this discussion to light and your wise words! We must find a way to unite our citizenry and remove the usurper since our congress and courts are complicit.
I don't understand what it is about Obama that allows him to get away with things. I know he's the first person of color to be elected President and there are those who want him to succeed just because if he doesn't it might be ages before any other person of color would stand a chance of becoming president, but do these people honestly think that Obama's lack of openness is acceptable with all of the people? Won't there be people who will always doubt his legitimacy to the Presidency because of "the birth certificate?" I don't know why he doesn't just produce the birth certificate and shut people up. His refusal makes him look like he has something to hide which could make us wonder what else he's hiding.
..."His refusal makes him look like he has something to hide which could make us wonder what else he's hiding." EXACTLY!
I still don't get why he just won't show the stupid paper and end the whole thing now and forever. McCain did, what's the big deal, why would you want to live with half a nation distrusting you because of it unless something was wrong. I think poking fun at something like this particular point wasn't funny as intended just for the reason that it is like throwing it in the disbelievers faces that he will not prove it. Ba form for any politician really.
That has been my contention since this whole problem became a very important point in the eligibility of BO to be president. I think he has made matter worse by refusing to prove, without any doubts, that he is a "natural born citizen". In the beginning I was intriged and very curious by his refusal. Now he has me convinced that he has some big dark secret which, at the cost of a million dollars, must remain hidden.
@Lakota12 (42684)
Well ya know what Kenya said that the now President had a native son of Kenya in as pres of the states so I dont think he is very funny and needs to get otehr work!