Have you ever experienced an electric shock?

New Zealand
May 5, 2010 6:35pm CST
Well, I have experienced an electric shock so many times in life but this Monday was scary when I touched the Iron box. There was something wrong with the my switch board and when I touched my iron box, I was hit by the electricity of at least a couple of seconds that made me speechless. Although, I'm perfectly alright now, I'm just curious to know whether will it do any damage? If so what damage can it do? Have you ever experienced an electric shock in your life?
3 people like this
18 responses
@manojt2 (179)
• India
6 May 10
Yes. Me too have undergone the electric shock a couple of times. I remember the first instance when I was a teenager. (Now I am 42). I didn't knew that while applying the plug it shouldn't be applied with wet hands. I inserted the plug and I felt like something has entered my hand and I started shaking vigorously. Luckily my uncle was at the same location and he immediately pulled me out. My God, that was such a terrific experience. I can't forget. After that I got a couple of experiences but they were of mild type. I remember at one or two workplaces, they didn't have the earthing and whenever I used to go to replace the cartridge in the laserjet printer I used to get a shock. So the exercise was to cut off the connection first and then insert the cartridge. I am lucky that I am a saved man and the electric shocks did not damage me.
• Philippines
6 May 10
I experience a lot of electric shock in my life and the most instance is when I am young. Until now, there are instances that I experience electric shock in the plug of our washing machine. Based on what our teacher said, this can cause nervous breakdown or it can be the cause of the weakening of the nervous system.
@nixxi76 (3192)
• Canada
6 May 10
The only electric shock I received was when hubby took one of those mosquito rackets that zap them as a joke and lightly touched my butt. I jumped so fast then I was mad at him for the rest of that day and the next. He got a bad electrical shock one time when we decided to try fix our old television. He took it apart with all the wires exposed and started working on it. We had to plug it in to see if it worked and it didn't but forgot to unplug it, suddenly he must have touched a live wire but he got zapped pretty good. We got quite a laugh from his reaction. I think if you get a really bad shock coming from an electical source I'm sure it could effect your brain. Take care
1 person likes this
• Philippines
6 May 10
I have been shocked before. The plug of the rice cooker has an exposed wire near the plug. I didn't thought it would be dangerous cuz it's just small but when i plugged it, it shocked me a hell lot than i expected.
1 person likes this
@Cherryd41 (1121)
• United States
6 May 10
Hi VinceMcMahon Yes I've been shocked before many times its a weird feeling thats for sure one of the worse ones I got was when I was about 13 and I tried to plug in a TV set that had a frayed cord I didn't know at the time the cord was frayed and went to plug it in and POP! I felt it all the way up arm! Another time here recently about 4 months ago I plugged in my favorite lamp again not realizing the cord was frayed and this time sparks came out of the socket and I blew a fuse! I tripped the breaker and had to call the electrician to take care of it good he didn't charge me anything because all he had to do was trip the breaker which my husband and I attempted but it wouldn't work for us but when he did it naturally it worked I really play close attention now to the things I plug in thats for sure
@j12345 (163)
• New Zealand
5 May 10
I was ironing.... it was a last resort Iron... ancient... grandmas inheritence.. frayed at the cord so I go to unplug it and I get this huge shock... it felt like it was pulling my hand in and didn't want to let it go. My hair was fluffed and I was left speechless.
1 person likes this
• United States
6 May 10
Yes, when I was a dumb child I played around with my finger and a electric socket. Not fun.
@weraful (58)
• Bulgaria
6 May 10
yea i have experienced an electric shock too , but they are so small and i do not coeq them
• India
6 May 10
i often experience an electric shock when ever i switch on my fan, i don't know about the problem , the switch and electric wires are new i hope it wont shock me again
@phoenix8606 (4978)
6 May 10
yes, but it was long time ago, when I was about 10 years old I supposed to play with a copper wire and few times I have putted it ni the wall-plug and it "shocked" me a lot :) know it is weird but I really have done this!
@nehmer (609)
• Philippines
6 May 10
hi vince, i remembered my past... ^^ i was electrocuted some many times before but something that i will never forget is when i plugged my charger after i took a bath... i did not dry up my hands that way i was electrocuted. thank god my mother was there and pulled me out.. because i was stuck i don't know why the current was very strong.. i felt very weak after that -_-
• India
6 May 10
i experienced two big shocks in my life. I was about 13 then.I wanted to change the fuse of room.And put my hand into the plug hole unnoticed.I had a big shock.i could not understand what happened for a while.i thought some body kicked me hard.Later I slept for that whole day.that was first experience of electrical shock.Thank God I am alive. The next was after a few months.That was on a rainy day and the switch board was wet.I had shock. alter I had few but not so severe.
@evepin (723)
• Philippines
6 May 10
yup, i experienced an electric shock in the bathroom. you know those heaters that you plug? i was heating a bucket of water when something fell inside it. i instinctively tried to get it and that's when i got electrocuted. another instance was when i was plugging something. when i was a kid also, i get those shocks when i tried to open refs and i was barefooted. but the bathroom incident was so much worse.
@lingli_78 (12844)
• Australia
6 May 10
i experienced many static electricity shock... but never the real electric shock... i wouldn't want to experience it as the static one is already so painful and frightening for me... that's why i am always very careful when dealing with electricity as i don't want to get the shock... take care and have a nice day...
@nsj947 (284)
• India
6 May 10
Yes I do get electric shock,but most of those are weak, it is fact electric shock is harmful to human body as the tissues in contact with the current gets killed, shock also causes abnormal function of heart as it reverses the regular rhythm of heart beat, but an electric shock of magnitude 1amp (either equal to or more than) is fatal.
• India
6 May 10
yes many times as i alwasy do the electric work at home because of my interest to know how it is done and most of the time i got shock but as it is AC (alternatic current ) and not DC( direct current ) i did not get stuck to it just shaken with the current and for some times i remained quite as it was horrible and slowly it subsided .But it is an horrible experince
@Hatley (164485)
• Garden Grove, California
6 May 10
hi vince well I am now 83 and had an electric shock when I was 23. I was a nurses aide helping a male patient with a bedpan. now the two doctors of this old man came in as I was returning the pan into the beside stand when the doctors sort of pushed me into this faulty floor lamp. the bedpan and the lamp sent shock through me and there I stood with this electricity flowing through me unable to do a nything and the dolts of doctors did not know I was being shocked b ut I gasped electrocution and the one smarter doctor pulled the lamp away from me thus stopping the shocking. Then both doctors checked me over and found only a burn on the palm of my hand, it was coated with burn ointment and bandaged and I got the rest of the day off. lol lol
@samson1967 (7422)
• India
5 May 10
Almost everyday I get electric shock, shocked!!! but it is true, as I am yet to rectify the earthing, I get electric current whenever I touch my oven and CPU.