Do you really think good things happen to those who wait?

I realize this is a statement about patience and perseverance. But is it really true? Sometimes nothing happens to those who wait. Sometimes by waiting too long, you will have missed the boat to an opportunity. It's possible that something bad could happen if you just wait. I am of the opinion that better things happen to those who are productive. You can't just sit and wait for people to come knocking on your door because it may never happen . . . you have to work on it and make things happen for yourself. What would you say about this?
@saphrina (31744)
• South Africa
I agree with you sweetie. To sit and wait for something, don't work for me. Life passes you by and we have to keep up. So, i would say to those who wait, ''get off yur butts and start doing something.'' TATA.
Hey saphrina! That's right . . . waiting around twiddling your thumbs doesn't cut it. Work and achieve . . . or keep waiting, and one day you'll realize it's been so long that you may forget what it is you were waiting for. So kick butt now or else pne day you may realize your butt has been kicked - ha ha!
@saphrina (31744)
• South Africa
So now i can really start kicking. TATA,
You go girl!
@tomitomi (5442)
Nothing happens just by chance. Life is what we make it out to be. Things happen because we make them out to be. You are right here! But that's when we were around when opportunity knocks on our door. During the height of the H1N1 here, sales of surgical masks, thermometers, hand-soaps and disinfectants had never been so good. Meeting the appropriate needs at an appropriate time spell good. And the reverse would otherwise be true as well. Will implementing work improvements as well as the zeal to drive while patiently continuing to persevere for positive results will be a wait in vain? The Wright brothers must have fallen a thousand times before their prototype planes could finally lift the ground, one of the greatest inventions of the modern world. So are the cars, the electric bulbs, post-its and lots of others we know and use in our daily lives today. Nothing happens when nothing is done. Things happen because something is done. Good things happen to those who wait and persevere with good things being done!
Well put, tomitomi! I like your last paragraph because it is a better said revision of the original quote. I agree that life is what we make it out be . . . it's in our hands . . . and yes, I'm sure many of our great inventors kept up with their endeavors a zillion times over - and it's because of them everyone has benefited from their productivity. As you said, things happen because something is done.
@tomitomi (5442)
Thanks for the topic! :)
@mokkka (884)
• Bulgaria
When people try hard the usually succeed.I am a relly positive person so I am sure that if we want something much and we work hard to make it comes possible at one moment.I hate people who just sit and cry all the time that their life sucks.Nobody's life may suck unless they build it that way.
Yep, if someone just complains their life away, they're not going to get anywhere unless they get active about fixing the things they complain about. They'd rather take the time to voice their woes . . . that time could have been spent bettering their lives. Success comes to those who work on succeeding!
@dawnald (83889)
• Shingle Springs, California
I think it can sometimes be true, but more often if you don't jump on an opportunity, it will be lost.
With these days thing are coming and going FAST . . . yep, you snooze, you lose!!
I think I am the kind of person that falls somewhere in the middle on this kind of subject. There are certain things that I've seen happen in my life that I don't think would have fallen into place nearly as nicely as they have if I would have rushed into it. However, there are also things that have gone on in my life that would have been better if I hadn't waited. An example of something that turned out best for waiting was buying our house. However, and example of something that could have happened sooner and it would have been okay was getting married.
True, it depends on the situation. I guess one of the situations that would fall in the middle for me would be this. It was good that we waited to have kids - we got a lot of our "singleness" out of our system and did a lot as a couple before having a family. On the otherhand, by then we were "older" and there were some health issues particularly because of it . . . so waiting too long isn't always the best idea (though I'm glad we had our kids when we did!).
Patient is a virtue. After that a perfect timing should follows. Don't be too hasty about things. Be patient and wait for the perfect timing I guess. I got the inspiration from Al Pacino's speech in Any Given Sunday. Football is almost like life. An inch too fast you're not gonna make it and an inch too slow still you're not gonna make it. I guess that's what I think about waiting.
Heh hee - I'm an Al Pacino fan, but I haven't seen that movie. That football speech certainly applies to life - I like that. But I guess one could also say that just because you wait for the ball to come to you, it doesn't mean that the ball will necessarily come to you. But yes, patience is a virtue.
@LittleMel (14061)
definitely not in my case LOL maybe in some cases, but not most most of the time I have to be active searching for solution and apply it this is very true especially when it comes to money and love I was told that love comes when we don't look which is not true in my case I actually looked for love because I believe I deserve it after so many bumps I finally found him and married him almost 10 yrs now going strong also with money and work, I always have to look for it, or I won't get it I also have to look for ways of cutting down expenses so the good things we enjoy now (which is manageable expenses and commitment) are not results from waiting or not looking LOL but yes I've heard about people saying they are not looking for love etc, when they find it I think that's cool but I really don't have it in me to sit still and wait, or NOT looking although I do get lazy sometimes and switch my attention to less important things
I have to agree with you all the way on this. I have friends who are "not looking" for love intentionally because of exactly what you said . . . and guess what - they still don't have love - in fact they can't even find a date!! These days if you are not active about meeting people, most likely it's not going to happen by chance. Wait and you'll probably keep on waiting. Moneywise too . . . some of my friends are waiting for the economy to get better before getting active about things, but who knows when things will actually be "better". I say do something about things NOW - and if you're lucky, maybe you won't have to wait so long!
Very true, but this statement about waiting is for those who have processed something, not nothing. You cannot wait for something if you haven't produced anything. Like for example, a good job. If you don't go out and apply and just stay at home and sit and wait for a miracle to happen, I don't think that is applicable. We wait patiently for the things we applied for, for the fruits of our labor and such. God knows our hearts and He is the One to grant it, if it favors Him. If we are diligent and hard working and we patiently wait for what we have done, we can expect something. But if we don't strive and don't do anything at all, then what is the use of waiting. There will never be fruit for those who did not work at all.
You have me there. You're right - this quote is about something that has already been worked on - yes - it's not out of nothing - exactly - no fruit for those who do not work at all. Yet, there are those who are waiting for certain miracles to happen out of nothing (eek - sadly I know a few of those kinds of people) . . . they use this quote at times, and I don't think the quote was meant towards people like them.
@jologs07 (38)
Good things happen in the right time and in the right way, so be patient enough to wait. But it wont just an easy because you have to do your best so that God will do the rest. Do your part as individuals with vision to commit those goals.
I guess it depends on the situation . . . but I think doing your best means doing "something" rather than just wait. But the rest - sometimes you do have to wait - and be patient at that!
@jajabugz (72)
they say that good things happen to those who wait.. so true! some things we love waiting for, other things tend to wear down our patience,. and then there are some that are worth waiting for forever., like someone who loves you just the way you are.. :)
That is sweet. Yes, now when it comes to love, its wonderful to wait for that special someone that you can spend the rest of your life with. But I think one can't wait forever to think that their prince charming is going to come out of thin air . . . these days a person has to be active about meeting people. Wait, and time goes by with regrets - that's what happened to a couple friends of mine.
I just remembered an old saying, Probably from Confusius, Chinese. If you keep staring at the flowing water down-stream, (with patience) One day you are sure to see the corpse of you enemy floating by!! May be that means you can outlive him. Or may be the law of fate, or may be something else. but, YES. if you ask me, In real life atleast, where ever practical, i WOULD recommend WAITING. like you wait for your topic to get more responses here in mylot.
That is true . . . I do wait to get more responses for my discussions on myLot - hee hee. However, I am still production in getting other discussions out and responding to others, as well as responding to others who have jumped into my previous discussions. If we're talking about "earnings", those who work a lot to post will get the better earnings, right? Interesting about that Chinese saying . . . I would have to add to that and say make sure you don't let your life pass you by as you stare!
@phoenix8606 (4978)
well, guess that you are right- sometimes really nothing happens to those who wait, and good things actually don't happen because people wait or hope for them, they happen because we make them happen( well sometimes they really happen accidentally). because if we want that something good happens to us, then we must try hard fro it, we must work hard if we want to have the house of our dreams, we must work hard if we want to go on a vacation to some lovely spot, we must work hard if we want a new car, we must work hard if we want to be happy and healthy too, because actually we can't just stay and wait to win the lottery ni order to buy a house, car or to go on a trip round the world. we can't also just stay and hope that we will be healthy if we don't eat healthy food and don't do some exercises. so that's why i think that good things rarely happen to those who only wait. they mostly happen to those who work for them, to those who know how to fight for them DO you agree my friend?
Right on, I sure do agree. If we want something, we need to go get it - bottom line! Especially if we want the better things in life . . . I doubt waiting will do a lot of good . . . waiting would just be a waste of time and you would be kidding yourself. So yes, seek what you desire and be a go getter - not a wait-er!!