New Music or Old...What Do You Prefer?

@erikmama (12929)
I find myself rarley listening to the radio nowadays. Never seems to be any good music. Every now and again I will hear a song that I like(new)but for the most part I prefer to listen to the old stuff. Usually the songs I end up liking aren't "hits"like those from back in the day...Ill tire of them quickly... Right now I am listening to a song by Prince called Condition of the Heart...Bet theres not a lot of people on here who know that one! So do you like to listen to new music or the old stuff?
@lkbooi (16101)
Hi erikmama, I'm great fan of music. I love all kind of music, no matter they are old or new, as long as they are melodious. What type of music we like listening to mostly depends on our mood then. I like listening to sentimental or music or layed by violin or erhu when I'm in blue mood. Music with tender voice as well as soothing tone could console my black mood. I usually play joyful music or song in a rather high volume during happy occasions like family gathering, festive moment to boost up the happy atmospher. We can find lots of these music either from new or old music. At moment soft and tender classical music in low volume is on air. I feel really comfortable and relaxed to hear this wonderful music as background Have a nice day.
@erikmama (12929)
I am a music lover, too! I much prefer it to television, though I like to have many different songs to choose from so I don't bore quickly. I love having different choices depending on my mood. It can be so uplifting sometimes and put a smile on your face. I have always heard that classical music is very relaxing.But not foe me
@lkbooi (16101)
Nice to know that you are a music lover as well I'm listening to the evergreen classic,Subaru,by Shinji Tanimura from Japan at moment. I enjoy having music as background while surfing net or typing myLot post. I had watched the top 6 American idols. I haven't followed up the latest performance yet for I had just come back from my four days vacation last night. Yeah, I forgot to bring my earphone and it's not nice to disturb others customers in starbuck coffee outlet.
I like to listen to both. There is a station here that has a great mix of old and new, as well as a newer station that mixes new and random more obscure music. I love all music, old and new. I find it hard to not like music honestly.
@erikmama (12929)
Music is a great thing! I have got to have mt music!
@pp_earn (210)
Nowadays I am listening to all the new stuff Indian songs.Although, I like classical but nowadays the face of Indian songs have changed greatly,the songs are mixed with pop and classical and the rhythm is fast with drum beats and guitar and all and i really find it very interesting.They are melodious and i like to listen to them again and again and its good stuff for dancing too.It really refreshes the mind!!!
@erikmama (12929)
I am not famialiar with Indian music, but I am happy to hear that there actually musical genres still creating good music.
@phoenix8606 (4978)
ohhh, there is no doubt for me here and I guess that only the true music lover can answer right on that question- of course it is the old one, because the new music is actaully very often something else, but not a music. the present singers hold more on their vision, on that how they look on the stage or in their videos and don't care that much aboout the lyrics, the rhythm and the melody of the song. there are so many favorite songs from the good old songs fromthe past- songs like "I want it all" by Queen, "Living on a prayer" by Bon Jovi, "I'll be missing you" by P.Diddy and they all have a perfect performance, loevly lyrics, melody and rhythm too! I guess that you know what I am talking about because I see that you prefer the old school and you are really on the right side of the road, because the present songs are getting more and more commercial and I just can get sick of it, just by listening to them all day long, and do you know what- in my counry there are only two radios which actually broadcast songs from the past- the one is "retro radio" and the second one is "Rock radio 1"- these both are the best for me, because they never broadcast some new songs and I have never heard some commercial song playig on them, which makes me really happy and satisfied listening them all day long and I think it is really very very good!
@erikmama (12929)
I know.It seems Hollywood is more concerned with who is wearing the most expensive necklace and not music.It shows in their lyrics. There are some good new songs I enjoy, but it just isnt the same as the stuff from back in the day! On my raio they play the same songs over and over.You dont get the chance to sample anything else from anartist album.But usually this one song wil be all you will hear from them. I want music I can listen to when I am old and reminice on life/ Soulja Boy aint oding it!! hehe!
@Tangeryne (413)
Hey Eric..Its new age music for me all the way. Yea I don't listen to the radio much cause all the songs they play are poppy and repetitive which can get really annoying at times. If I like a band, I just download all possible songs that are available. I'm not fond of the 80s and don't like classics. Though I like wide genres of music, I'm also selective about the music I listen to. Right now I'm into Paramore, Children of Bodom, Dethalizer and Evanescene and Dj Tiesto ,ATB , David Guetta. Listen to them everyday.
@erikmama (12929)
I sware we have one radio station that plays a couple hours of songs, then repeats them, inthe same order, all day long. Maybe I do not have the chance to hear all of the great music thats coming out because they are playing the same thing over and over again! And it is my only choice fot the music that I like.
i like the combination of both. old songs more likely to be heard to heal my heart after a heartache. and to calm my soul as well.new music , i like to hop along when im feeling the melody and the message that goes with it. since i grew up with my grandparents i also appreciate the old ones. without the loud music a good way to cheer up and brighten my day. a song choice depends more into the listener. i like love songs, pop music,rnb and rock. i like the combination of everything.
@erikmama (12929)
It is great to be able to choose the style we want to listen to. Change is great. It is wonderful to have new music styles, but I dont want then to replace what we had!! Music can put a smile on your face and hel p you deal with hard times.It can make you feel good in an instant.
@annavi23 (6306)
hi erikmama, listening to music is really fun! it makes someone happy in a way especially when you really love the music. for me,it doesn't matter how old or new the music is,as long as i liked the music genre or just the lyrics itself! listening to old msic reminisces on how old are you when you first heard that song and other memories come back to you,like the music being shared by you and your loved one,your partner/lover or bestfriend or relatives or family members! stuffs like remembering things you used to spent with others is really nice! on listening with new music you get to know who sung the song or who made its original one if it's just a remake or what! it's like being "in" if you know the new trends of music nowadays! sometimes listening to old music makes you feel you're too old! well,hey no matter what it is,everybody loves music!
@erikmama (12929)
Music can do so many things for someone! I agree it doesnt matter how old it is. If I like the song then I will listen to it. ut I dont think the same effort is pout into making a quality song these days.We donthave artists that can compare to The Beatles, Isley Brothers, Elvis, Aretha Franklin, etc. Music can definatley make memories spark! It is great to go back to the special time and place in your life!
@keval32 (1099)
I like both really. Actually I like music which can entertain me, whether it is old or new I just don't care. Music is what, which can make you feel better. As me Music is that which can evoke any kind of feeling in ourselves. This is the definition of music as of me.
@erikmama (12929)
Thats what music is for. To entertain us, inspire us, or help us cry. Music is such a great thing. As lons as it is good, it is good, whether it was released this month or 10 years ago. I just dont think the quality is the same today though.
i wonder what that song is all about. well, at my time, the hits were of britney spears, christina aguilera, nsync, backstreet boys , and the like of them. well, they are past now, and there are new ones. but i would really wanted to listen to them. the new generation music right now is totally different. i may not like your choice of music, for that is your music before, and i respect it. hehe. and so mine is those. and let us also respect those who like this years music. to them, it was hits though..
@erikmama (12929)
I think the good music is gone forever! I am proud of the music I like, so I have no problem with anyones choice of music.
@olisaur (1932)
Both! I love a lot of 80's stuff (The Cure, The Smiths, Depeche Mode, etc), some 90's punk (Rancid, Black Flag, The Distillers, AFI, etc) as well as some newer music. I do think that new music, particularly pop, is very different from older music; it's more forgettable and to commercialized. Older music, purely written by inspired artists, is always better though.
@erikmama (12929)
New music is wild! There's a lot missing from it. There are nice beats and songs that are good to listen to.But I cant see these artists have any future hits or being around in a few years.
@don_naces (464)
I prefer oldies because they are so meaningful compared to the new ones. I cannot relate even if I am still young.
@erikmama (12929)
I am just 29 so I dont consider myslef old yet either! But even if you wanna put me in the old category, the old people music isnt the same!! Music is a wonderful thing and I am glad we still have it to enjoy!
Peronsally I like old music. I listen to bands like AC/DC, Whitesnake, Dio, Rainbow, ZZ Top, Deep Puplre and Black Sabbath to name a few. i may occaisionally listen to modern bands like Airbourne and Foo Fighters. It just itsn't the same anymore, modern bands just don't cut it.
@allamgirl (2145)
not the new ones that they play on the radio. but not too much old songs either. i like songs from a few years back. song from the early to mid 2000s. i guess it's because i listen to music more back then and watched a lot of MTV
@erikmama (12929)
Late 90s and early 2000s is where I am going back. 10 years os long enough to call it an oldie!! hehe... To me thats when music was truly music.When it had meaning and they could actually sing. People had to work to get where they were and it shows it the quality.
@emerillus (477)
Most songs nowadays really aren't made of the good stuff like the old ones. Is it because of the generation of songwriters? I appreciate the old ones best because there is a content, a story we can all relate to, unlike the new songs which are just like, "hey, something happened to me, and I wanna tell you about it, so here goes," though not all of them are like that. I rarely find a new song that I like because of the content.
@erikmama (12929)
That is so true. There is something lacking in the music today. Our newest stars are elected from American Idol....REALLY????????????? I have heard many a songs that literally have 5 different lines to the whole song repeated over and over for 3 minutes... I like some new songs...My kids like Soulja Boy...He has some cute little songs ill sing along or dance around to.But nothing worth any praise for...And nothing I will ever be able to say is a good song or buy the album...
@caliya (1175)
I am actually into Old School type of music. Oldies but Goodies. I love it. I grew up listening to old songs like Beattles and Sinatra because of my dad. These old songs remind of my childhood. I also appreciate the current music but I would still go for the oldies.
@erikmama (12929)
My taste in music is nothing like what my parent listened to or what I had to grew up listening to! Even in school when kids were listening to NKOTB,I was listening to Prince.And the small country town I was in made me seem like a weirdo for listening to Prince! ( BTW...I still love me some Prince to this day!) Maybe it is because we are reminded of other times when we hear music.That is a definate rationality to think of.
New music, if you deviate from the mainstream, i find youtube extremely useful. Mainstream has all become remixed with a bassline and aparently that's popular. I'm your old school rock/metal fan so i have to look elsewhere for good music around nowadays :P
@erikmama (12929)
I just dont think the artists around today are that good.I mean really...WHO is going to be classic when I am 40? Lady Gaga? Cant say it is true for them all...You really have a small selection of music in that category!
I like new and old both the music but the one who is already old and new singer try to give their voice are no no for me. I do not like a song which is already sung by such a great singer Lata mangeshkar and again some new age singer singing the song. They spoil the sweetness of the song. I love old songs and not all new songs.
I dislike most of what's played on the radio today, I much prefer the 90's and early 2000's. I've been trying to rediscover certain bands/groups and this is leading me to appreciate some of the things I disliked as a kid, the music which is on these days just sounds very repetitive + boring. Think the shows such as pop idol + x-factor have destroyed the music industry somewhat.
@erikmama (12929)
I guess there are a few songs i hear on the radio now and then,but it still can not compare to the music of long ago! I do not think anything out today is memorable.American Idol and all of these other shows have definatley impacted music and it is dad!
When it comes to pop music, I really prefer the older stuff. I really can't stand to listen to the new stuff. However, my genre of choice when it comes to music these days is country music and I find that there are a lot of new country songs that I grow to like over time. I don't initially start off liking new songs because I can't sing along with them. However, as I hear them time and again, then I grow to love those songs.
@erikmama (12929)
That happens with me a lot too, but there is still somethig ,issing from the music put out today. I have songs I enjoy listening too,but nothing I think I will be remembering and singing along too in 2 or 3 years. Both my kids love Soulja Boy...He has a couple of cute little songs, but...he cant sing and he is not talking about anything.
Oh, definately the oldies! As I tell folks, just about everything from Strauss thru the 70's. Thanks to my mother, who was a concert violinist in school, I spent a good bit of my little 'un life listening to 'proper' music and, believe it or not, country balladeers like Jim Reeves and Eddy Arnold. Interesting combination. That got me interested in Strauss waltzes and the old folkie/country and, eventually, drifting thru the various 'rock' eras..Yup, oldies all the way.. Enjoy!