Please Read This; It Makes A Lot Of Sense

@Janey1966 (24126)
Carlisle, England
http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/blog/toxics/bp-deepwater-oil-slick-hits-gulf-coast-20100430 I have been a fan of Greenpeace for years. At one time I was donating £20 a month to them. Those days are long gone, unfortunately, as I cannot send them anything now BUT I still have a vested interest in what they have to say...and listen to them we must to avoid more disasters like those in the Gulf Coast. In the UK we are developing Wind Farms. The biggest in the world. Granted, we still rely far too much on Nuclear Power but at least we are waking up to the fact that oil is no longer the answer to our problems...although I have to say that looking for oil around the Falkland Islands leaves a lot to be desired! I hate to say it but America needs to wake up and realise that drilling in such sensitive areas as the Gulf Coast is NOT the answer. As Greenpeace said, if this happened in the Arctic..well, the consequences would be dire. The Arctic must remain pristine. If oil exploration ever happens there we may as well give up.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
We have wind and solar energy, but not nearly enough of it. We need to do a lot more. The days of plentiful, easy oil are gone...
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I won't be glad. But I do hope those big oil companies' power is much diminished in 50years...
@RawBill1 (8542)
• Gold Coast, Australia
I agree whole heartedly with what you are saying here Jane. Wind, solar and wave power are enough to power the earth completely. There is no need whatsoever to be spending more money harming the environment looking for oil. There are other forms of energy that we need to look into further as well. If they could harness the energy from the earth's gravitational pull, then they would have massive amounts of energy on tap. There is also geothermal energy as well which is far better than oil, but I think wind wave and solar are the best areas to be concentrating on.
@Janey1966 (24126)
• Carlisle, England
Wow, you certainly know your stuff! You don't happen to work for Greenpeace do you my friend? Geothermal energy...mmm, how interesting. One thing's for certain, we are going to run out of oil eventually, sooner rather than later. There is a large windfarm that's just opened up on the Solway Firth (out to sea a bit) and it's stunning to look at. I've only seen photos of it but I can never understand my people object to them, I think they are quite nice actually. "Spoiling our views." Yeh, right. It's far better looking at those than a huge oil rig that can blow up at any minute!