Listening to music at work - why do other people like it quiet?

It is absolutely dead quiet where I work. All that quiet is not a good thing for me while working. I don't care if it is just noise. The radio goes on and listening to it at least gives some relief from the quiet. Quiet is good for sleeping, studying or enjoying nature. Don't get it - I must be wired different or something. Why do the other people like it so quiet?
@cyrus123 (6383)
I know how you feel. I keep music or the television going all the time because my house is very quiet without it. Some people concentrate better when it's quiet. When I worked for daddy years ago at the office, he couldn't stand a radio. He didn't mind it as long as we kept it soft. Most of the time, we kept it turned off when he was there. When he wasn't, we turned it on, though, lol! I love music and I can't stand to be without it. I majored in music (voice) when I was in college.
boy am I glad I don't work where you do! I would go absolutely insane if I couldn't listen to music during the day. I work in an office in a cubicle and not only is my ipod going all day, but the person that sits behind me has his going all day as well so it's always an interesting blend of different musical tastes. We do tend to turn them off or down when people are on conference calls though to be respectful, but otherwise, I don't see the problem with music being played (even if it's not the same type of music you usually listen to). Maybe the people where you work enjoy the quietness because their home lives are so "loud" or maybe they just think that if they start playing music other people will complain. Maybe you should try playing some music, softly at first, and see if anyone minds. Who knows, maybe they'll have the courage to join in as well!
@meowcow (936)
Sounds like your workspace is a little too formal. :P I don't mind the quiet. But I honestly cannot stand that everyday. I'd have to bring an iPod with me or something. It also depends on the kind of work you are doing. When the office is a creative type then it has all sorts of noises and characters. Bottom line is, don't worry... you're not wired differently, they are! Lol. :D
@o0jopak0o (6406)
well for me, if i don't like the music might as well be quiet. im annoyed easily to music or talking that i don't like.
@rhodalyn (251)
maybe they dont want destruction while working..but for me i feel sleepy and bore without music during my work time..