serious question moral dilemma

I have a serious question. I had a friend a number of years ago that I met when we were both camp counselors. we had started talking recently on facebook ocassionally after I found him on there. He kind of dropped off the scene and I found out recently he had been arrested for a sexually based offense (child)no contact though. He had done something similarw contact apparently years before. I did not know about this. needless to say i am shocked ,appalled and creeped out. His brother asked me if I would write to him in prison. I find what he did disgusting, but I do care about him. What should I do? Right now I am very disturbed about this.
You must mention is you have kids or not. I am wondering now myself. I would not want to write to him at all. I would tell his brother I wish him well but,at this time your unable to find the words to write. You don't want to write him prying about his crime. My two brothers are in jail for years. I know how it is. I would hope this man would not do this again. But,any crime against a child warrants me to stay away.
I think it might be risky for me. I want to and feel sorry for him, but I don't think it is a good idea.
I don't think I could contact him, if he has done things like that, then he obviously has some issues, and that wouldn't be something I would want to be involved with, think long and hard about what it would mean for you...
• Alexandria, Virginia
Do not have any further contact with him ever
that is completely your opinion.
• Alexandria, Virginia
Yes it is my opinion. Why not consult with some of your family members
Who says I didn't? S. HOffman
@cream97 (29175)
Hi, snowy22315. Out of the kindness of your heart, I think that you should write to him. Tell him how you are feeling about finding this out about him. I know that you may be shocked because he never acted like he was interested into children like this. It is very sad. We just never know who people really are these days. Life can be very mysterious. I hope that you can communicate with him by writing to him. Say what you feel is going to ease your mind.
I may do that. I'm just not sure about it.
@karen1969 (1788)
I would not have anything to do with him in the future, but that is just my opinion. It is a horrible situation to be in, but I hope you decide on the course of action that is right for you. Good Luck!
I think that he could use all the good influences he can find right now. And you are a good influence. I think if you feel like you should write him, go ahead and you would have nothing to feel guilty about. Showing you care is not condoning what he did.