I will not be doing this again!!

I started getting in better shape a little over 6 months ago, and at one point while going for a run I thought, why not put my new found fitness to good use. That day I came home and started looking for some local 5K's to run for charity. The first charity I looked for was one that was close to my heart, it took my Godfather's life when I was a child.. it's called Cystic Fibrosis. It wasn't actually a 5K run, but a 10K walk.. and I did have to raise donations for it. When I first signed up to do it I felt so proud and excited, I felt like I was doing some good in the world, even if only a little bit. Now the walk is this weekend, and I'm no longer excited. It has been so hard to try to get donations. I've gotten a few, and am so thankful to those that have given a donation.. but it seems no matter how hard I try I cannot get new donations. I've talked to people at my gym, and asked all my friends on Facebook... even some of my Facebook friends are posting it on their profile asking their friends for donations!! But I still have not reached my goal, and it's slightly depressing that it's turned out to be so hard. In the future I'm going to avoid walks or runs that require donations.. because I'm really no good at asking and I just don't seem to know enough people who are willing or capable of making donations.
@skysuccess (8882)
katsmeow1213, Please do not be disheartened and I am sure with all your efforts I am sure it has not completely gone to waste. Take heart for those who have responded favorably but do not feel bad for those who have not or that the results have not been forthcoming. It is after all (what you have done) a noteworthy and noble cause on your part. Kudos! So, in the words of Helen Keller: "Be of good cheer. Do not think of today's failures, but of the success that may come tomorrow. You have set yourselves a difficult task, but you will succeed if you persevere; and you will find a joy in overcoming obstacles. Remember, no effort that we make to attain something beautiful is ever lost." Take care and enjoy the walk.
No it wasn't a waste, because I did earn just over $100 for the charity, which is better than nothing.. but most of that was bigger donations from just a couple people. Sadly I'm feeling like if I tried again next year it would be the same people giving the same donations.. and I'd hate to keep bugging the same people over and over again.
katsmeow1213, Try not to predict too much as to what it will be like the next time and believe me I would not feel anything other than happy to see a friend approach me repeatedly to donate for a good cause. Because, God places people to do certain work so that the cycle and momentum could be maintained. We can never tell our future for certain and who knows you will just make more friends as time progresses. Who knows what the future holds for each one of us, so live today like there's no tomorrow and let tomorrow take care of itself. All the best and have a great time.
@jaiho2009 (39019)
I am proud of you,yes,it's not easy to raise funds for charities,and yet,you still tried your best even if you sees the negative results. Sometimes,our good deeds doesn't work or would end with good results as we expected. Yet,you can still keep trying. Never lose your hope and self confidence. Keep trying and supporting such charities my friend. I been working with charities for years,and the results are not always the same. Some were successful and some are not. But,we never give up or lost our spirits for continuing what we have started. Have a good day always my friend
Thanks. I'm still proud that I've done this, even though it's a small amount of money I still helped in some way. I just feel that if I do it again in the future it will be the same people donating to my cause.. and I don't want to make them feel put out. I don't want to get to a point where people try to avoid me because they know I'm just looking for donations.
I really don't want to sound like Pollyanna. However, what you did get is more than what they had prior to your work. Your grandfather would be proud of what you're doing, no matter how many donations you got. Just that you did it, and you got some donations...that's more than most of have done. You saw a cause and worked towards it. I hope you don't give up on things like this. We need more people like you.
Kat, please don't be disheartened, right now it is very difficult to raise donations for any kind of charity. Last year my brother decided that he was going to do the Team In Training triathalon and had to raise 2500 dollars to do it, his family ended up putting the majority of money out of pocket because they had a hard time raising donations. But, he says that he wants to do it again when his daughters are a little bit older.
@cher913 (25890)
i am not good a soliciting donations either. i guess i am not persuasive enough! (maybe its the lack of confidence?!)
@ndubose (418)
That's great that you are trying to raise donations for the cause but you can walk without raising donations or starting a team.....The reason for the teams and the donations is to help the cause and to cover your race cost.....Please don't give up on doing a great and fun thing....Heres to hoping things will work out for the best...P.S. You can always Volunteer that a great start as well and is much appreciated by your peers and the organization....
Good for you! Even if you don't get a set amount the fact that you tried and decided to take your new found fitness to use and try something new.
@laglen (19782)
In my opinion, it is a saturated market. Tehy are all good causes. Relay for Life, Diabetes, Cystis Fibrosis.... but the walk/runs with donations have gotten to be far too many.