Congee . . . anyone make this for their baby?

With my first child, I went straight by the books on feeding the baby, especially since her pediatrician was also on the safe side. My second one seems to be a great eater - and his pediatrician is a lot looser when it comes to baby feeding. So I was thinking to make congee for him. I know different cultures feed their babies differently as there are different "standards". I mainly go by US standards, but I'm trying to open about it (only because I can already see he'll probably eat table foods faster than my daughter did). I didn't grow up on congee as my mom went with US standards (for back then) as well. In Japan, they make okayu, but my mom never made that. So how do you make YOUR particular congee? And when did you start feeding it to your baby? Does your baby like it?
@djemme (78)
My babies were born in Vietnam, so yes they ate congee and loved it. My oldest was born in the US, so he never had it. It can be a good food for a young child depending on how it's made. My oldest was strictly fed mama's milk ... (can't use the b word due to mature content rating), so didn't have any solid food until almost 6 months. Formula fed babies typically start solids sooner. Your pediatrician will be the best guide for when your child is ready to start solid foods, remember though ... you'll want to start with one food at a time. Nothing with multiple ingredients. Usually rice cereal mixed with a little b****t milk or formula is a good place to start. It should also be very thin until baby gets used to the texture and is able to move it around in his mouth and swallow easily.
@dawnald (84129)
• Shingle Springs, California
not a dance?
Ha ha - nope, unless everyone's gonna make a conga line for the congee!!