At what age do kids get cell phones?

I was talking to one of the mom's in my daughter's class. She has an 11 year old daughter who is soon to be 12 - and for their birthday they are giving her a cell phone. If that wasn't the shockeroo for me, she told me that was considered "late" in her daughter's circle of friends. Apparently most kids have cell phones by age 12 - in fact most elementary school kids have them. Really????? I can't imagine giving my daughter a cell phone in just a few years from now (she's 5). When do you think is appropriate to give kids cell phones? But besides your opinion, when ARE the kids around you getting cell phones? Heck, I think when I was 12 I wanted my ears pierced - sheesh!!
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
A lot of my childrens' friends in elementary school have them already. We promised Dearra one when she was 12. She got hers a little bit early only because her dad dropped his in the pool accidentally, and since we had to go and replace his, we got hers too. She doesn't abuse it at all, but I just can't wait until Naomi has one. Yikes...
Yah, that's what I've heard - that elementary kids are already carrying them - ahhhh! The way my daughter loses things, I just don't know when she'll be ready and responsible to have one! Yikes is right!
@dawnald (84155)
• Shingle Springs, California
As it is, Dearra forgets to charge hers half the time...
Um, that would be me too!
@nonersays (2685)
Our child will not be allowed a cell phone until he is in his teens. His father and I have talked about it and said that 16 is the YOUNGEST that we will allow him to have a phone of his own. People are addicted to cell phones now. They can't leave the house without one glued to their ear. They can't visit a friend without spending the entire time texting a different friend. I don't want my son to become just another addict.
Now you sound very sensible as parents. I can't imagine giving my little a cellphone in just a few years from now . . . I can see it as an emergency tool, but from what I hear most kids don't use it just for emergencies. I was thinking minimally a young teen would be good. I agree people are glued to the phone - and not even talking now but with texting. It's crazy!
@nonersays (2685)
Thank you for thinking we are sensible. Lots of people would say we were depriving him of a given right lol. People are actually getting injuries from texting too much. Texters thumb instead of tennis elbow.
Texters thumb - hee hee - I believe it! I can understand peer pressure, but that doesn't mean they have the right to have something if they don't deserve it or are not responsible enough. Heck, I wanted brand named shoes when I was in junior high - my parents didn't let me have them just because everyone else had them - I had to deserve them! But we're talking when I was 14 ... I can't believe younger kids want/need cell phones!
Well, I got my first cell phone when I was seventeen years old, but that was a long time ago. I've noticed that some of the other children in our neighborhood already have cell phones (the youngest that I know of is nine years old). However, for Kathryn it is going to depend. If she is involved in extracurricular activities when she is in middle school then I might let her have one when she is in sixth grade. However, if she is not involved in a lot of activities at school, then I will make her wait until she gets her driver's license.
They didn't really have cell phones when I was 17, ha ha. Yah, I think we'll have to feel it out as to when we will allow our kids to have cell phones. First and foremost I need to know if they can be responsible to take care of a phone (and to not lose it) and the usage of it (like to not rack up the minutes!). And I'll have to take into consideration the stuff she does outside of school too, I'll need to know where she is!
@lilybug (21182)
My son is 10 and he has a cell phone, but it is not a phone he gets to carry around with him and call people whenever he wants. It is for emergencies or when he is traveling with someone other than me and he needs to keep in contact with me.
When does your son carry the phone for emergencies? Does he get to carry it school too? I'm just curious how this cell phone things works with parents and kids. I hear all these stories about kids using up too many minutes or texting in the middle of the night. I hope when I give my kids a cellphone, using it as an emergency tool will be fine enough!
i got my first cellphone when I graduated college.. and i dont have any problem with that..lol
Well, if you got one after graduating college, I should hope you knew what responsibility was by then - ha ha. I didn't get one til my late 20's (I think) and for some reason I could live without a cell phone back then - ha ha.
@syankee525 (6296)
well it would depend on the kids, if they arent into after school things they dont need one. if they drive then yeah i can see them having one. like my kids didnt get one until they started to drive, but they had to share one. i told them it is only use if they needed too, its not to call or text their friends and if i catch them doing it then they cant use it, and that meant no cell then no driving..
I can understand that if they are of driving age, then they can handle the responsibility of having a cell phone (well, one would hope - ha ha). But if they are still quite young, it's just really hard for me to see the need for a cell phone - like you said if they are only in school during school hours (I would think the school could contact me if need be).
@brylle454 (608)
I had my first cellphone when i was 10 , well i really need it though since my parents are busy with their job and im the only one going to school, and after school too without riding our car since we have different time. I mean my parents needs to be at their workplace way earlier than me. So they gave me a phone so they can contact me if im still on the school or if i need anything.
Ok, with this post you answered my question above. So you need to be able to communicate with your parents at all times. Honestly, did you use it more with your friends, or did you really use it only to contact your parents?
@brylle454 (608)
I had my first cellphone when i was 10 , but i really think that kids need to have a cellphone at the age of 12.
10 - wow! Now why do you think kids need a cellphone by age 12? Did you really need a cellphone at 10 years old?