Salmonella outbreak in 10 states prompts sprouts recall

@laglen (19782)
http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/05/21/salmonella.outbreak/?hpt=T2 Federal public health officials are investigating a salmonella outbreak that has infected 22 people in 10 states, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Friday. The infections are linked to the consumption of raw alfalfa sprouts, the CDC said. Salmonella infections linked to the outbreak have also been identified in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon and Wisconsin, the CDC said. Just be warned and dont buy sprouts for a while. Or if you have eaten some and are feeling sick, contact your doctor. This is a good argument for growing your own!
@peavey (16600)
I agree, that's a good argument for growing your own. Sprouts are easy to grow and buying seed to sprout is cheaper than buying the sprouts. If you have a bit of dirt, you can even grow your own seeds to sprout. This contaminated food problem seems to be getting bigger. I wonder where it's going to lead us in the end...
@laglen (19782)
sick. that is where it will leave us!
@max1950 (2313)
thanks for the info my friend, i like sprouts on a sandwich, and im not even going to say anything about another federal watch group not doing their job, oops my bad ?
@laglen (19782)
you bet ya my dear, lag is here to serve. I have to keep my friends happy and healthy. And I agree it is probably best not to mention the federal agency who's job it is to watch for this or the fact that the company recalled on their own.
@carmelanirel (20979)
Oh yeah, growing your own food is always on the top of my list..It has been a while since I bought alfalfa sprouts, so thanks for letting me know about this outbreak..
@laglen (19782)
you bet! knowledge is power!
Wow! I'm glad I haven't eaten any sprouts and haven't plan to. I hate it when fresh stuff is reported to have salmonella. I wonder about it. It means they have to be using something wrong in the production process.
@laglen (19782)
it is in the fertilizer. I almost bought sprouts about a week ago, I was making wraps and thought that would be a nice addition but decided at the last minute not to. whew.