Not even very good back pedaling

@laglen (19783)
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/27/homeland-security-clarifies-comment-processing-illegals-referred-arizona/ The Department of Homeland Security on Thursday sought to clarify a comment made by one of its top officials that the agency will not necessarily process illegal immigrants referred by Arizona authorities after the state passed a controversial immigration law. "I think what he was referring to is that within our resources, we have to use discretion and cannot take every referral that comes to us and we will prioritize," said Alonzo Pena, deputy assistant secretary for operations for the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement in the Homeland Security Department. Pena faced fire from the House Homeland Security committee over a comment made by John Morton, assistant secretary of homeland security for the agency, to the editorial board of the Chicago Tribune last week. "I don't think the Arizona law, or laws like, are the solution," Morton told the newspaper. The best way to reduce illegal immigration is through a comprehensive federal approach, he said, and not a patchwork of state laws. The Arizona law, which criminalizes being in the state illegally and requires authorities to check criminal suspects' immigration status, is not "good government," Morton said. Rep. Candice Miller of Michigan, the ranking Republican member of the panel's subcommittee on border, maritime and global counterterrorism, said she was "stunned" by Morton's comments and asked Pena whether there was a directive for illegals not to be deported or processed. "There is no directive that we will not enforce the law in Arizona," Pena said. "What Mortion was saying is that we have prosecutorial discretion, and with limited resources we have, we're going to prioritize and go after those affecting public safety and security in Arizona." wow - I really loved this comment - The Arizona law, which criminalizes being in the state illegally and requires authorities to check criminal suspects' immigration status, is not "good government," Morton said. first of all, the law doesnt "require" authorities. Second holy crap it isnt illegal to break the law?? So, are you buying it?
@spalladino (17927)
If they have "limited resources" over there maybe they should apply for some of that stimulus money so that they can increase those "resources". Sounds like a win/win to me...deport illegals and put more Americans back to work.
@laglen (19783)
ok, first I have to ask who should apply? the states should for border security or the dept of homeland security?
@spalladino (17927)
You just had a brilliant idea! Both!
@laglen (19783)
First and foremost, Homeland Security should be securing the Homeland (catchy huh?)
@hofferp (4739)
Nope, not very good back pedaling, but I'll bet you behind the scenes that the DHS is going to do exactly what Morton said the first time...find every reason not to prosecute illegals referred by Arizona. And if I was Arizona, I'd be documenting/publicizing every case I referred to keep the heat on the DHS. I would make them defend their reasoning for not prosecuting. Let's see how far this lack of resources b.s. takes them...
@laglen (19783)
btw there is $5 mill in resources at the canada border...
@hofferp (4739)
That will go a long way in prosecuting a few hundred illegals...
@laglen (19783)
Now that would be stimulating!
@nzinky (822)
If someone refused to deport an Illegal Alien that is a person for needs to be canned right now.........Pack his stuff and hit the road Jack and don't come back. Do not pass go and don't collect two hundred just get out.... There will be a bigger cover up on this than anything else.....I wish before the President and his thrugs said anything the would read the bill.....Oh I forgot they don't know the law and they can't read....Got a problem Kids.... Most people think laws were made to be broken.....
@laglen (19783)
your right and they speak of the possibility of racial profiling in the law, which states explicitly that this is not to happen. Then in the next breath explain how they will incorporate corruption and favoritism in dealing with it. Yep sounds about right.
@dboman (457)
No. I'm not buying this. Once again, federal officials let their ideals get in the way of governing the country. We'll see how long this guy keeps his job...he should take a page from Obama...dance around the question or twist the question to make it sound like you're doing the public a favor.
@laglen (19783)
There ya go! I wont prosecute these thousand, but just for you, I will write a citation for this guy....