The Other Hand...

@erikmama (12929)
What hand are you? Both of my kids are left handed,somehow,both me and their fathers are right-handed.Yes,weird.... Can you use the other hand to write and complete other tasks? I know a girl who can write perfectly using other hand, which amazes me because if I try to use my left hand my writing looks like that of a 2nd grader. I even discovered tonight that the other hand also applies to the mouse on the computer...I could not do it right with the left hand! Have you made such a dumb,yet fascinating discovery like this? Have I asked enough questions in this discussion?
@thyst07 (2091)
I'm somewhat ambidextrous. My right hand is definitely dominant, but I can do most tasks fairly well with my left hand. I can write decently and use eating utensils. Oddly, even though I write better with my right hand, I often paint better with my left. I think it's because I've played the violin since I was very young, so both of my hands learned a lot of dexterity. javascript:__doPostBack('ctl00$cphMainContent$btSubmit','')
@thyst07 (2091)
...and I have no idea where that weird javascript tag came from. I definitely didn't put it there...weird.
@erikmama (12929)
Were you using your left hand when the tag popped up??????? It's all lefties fault its there i tell u. I guess when you have used both hands as you have then it is easy to do things with thm both.Ive never really did things with the good ole leftie, and when I try it feels so weird I easlit give up.
@ohiocy (215)
Haha.. I'm a right handed as well.*high five* Hmmm.. never really saw any results conducted on researches regarding such trait being related to hereditary or otherwise. But rest assure your kids have the talents from the arts side. They are the kind of people that will think outside the box. Have fun discovering their world :)
@erikmama (12929)
I don't even remember where I got that assumption but I have been proven wrong wherever it was!! It is strange seeing them write with their left hands.For the longest my oldest would use both hands,but the left more.Now it is his hand.Left or right handed my babies are smart and talented little boys!!
@babyanna (1217)
Hi,erikmama! I'm right handed.But I can do some tasks with my left hand pretty well.Like sweeping the floor,holding the scissors and cut my fingernails,etc. I tried the two things you mentioned in the discussion.And I find out that I can't write with my left hand.Terrible handwriting,lol!But I can use the mouse with my left hand pretty well.What a wonderful finding!haha! I think it is not related to gene but to habits.Maybe your kids tended to use left hands when they were very young.So they can use them pretty nice,now. Have a good day!
@erikmama (12929)
Ho;ding scissors wit h my left hand is no problem at all for me either, I just can't use them! hehe! Me,mouse,and leftie are a no no.Maybe it is only because I am so use t o it but when I was trying earleier it wasn't going to well! But atleast I was able to get an expirement going here!LOL
My mother is left handed. 4 out of 5 of her children came out lefty. Being left handed is supposed to be very rare with only like 1 in 13 people being lefty. You can even get a college scholarship for it! Anyways, I am lefty but do alot of things with my right hand. I can't write too good with my right hand but for some reason I use my right hand about as much or maybe even more than my left!
@erikmama (12929)
Yea,I know it is rare, and I always thought it had something to do with genetics, but since both of mine are lefties it must not have a thing to do with it!! Wow,really? A scholarship if you're left handed? Very interesting, but wiil have to keep that in mind for my children in a few years. I think most people use the hand the write with to do everything.It is always natural for me to use thre right hand so you are definatley the exception here!! LOL!
Both my mom and dad are left handed (weird situation, right? They seem pretty rare) and I and my sister are right-handed. My mom works for a data entry company, where she pretty much inputs NUMBERS into a computer program for 5-6 hours a day, and she uses the ten-key part of the keyboard to do so. It would be incredibly awkward to try to do this with your left hand, as the ten key pad is to the right of the keyboard, so she was telling me how she had to learn to use her right hand..And it took her a good 4-5 months to get it down, fully. lol. It must be difficult to be a left-hander!
@erikmama (12929)
Hehe. Did they fall for each other because they are both lefties? LOL? I can imagine that it took a while to learn.I tried using the mouse with my left hand earlier and finally gave up after a few tries/I giess I had just never thought about that situation til I tried it!LOL! Never though about it being harf for a leftie either, but you are right.it must be hard considering the fact everything is usually made for the tright
@bounce58 (17524)
I consider myself right-handed but there are a lot of things that I do left-handed. Mostly the fun stuff, like bowl, play pool, video games etc. And I could never write straight with my left hand either. Both my kids are left handed. I've seen them write on paper and play games using the left hand. So I take comfort in the thought that they wouldn't be conflicted like me.
@erikmama (12929)
Atleast you can do some things with the left hand!! Is your wife/gf/baby mother left handed? I was so wrong about the genetics thing, huh? Its cool they are both left handed.
@bounce58 (17524)
Another one! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
@TheAdvocate (2395)
I am ambidextrous. My mother was a lefty but I was the only one born a lefty like her. I grew up during conservative times when being a lefty was thought to be unnatural. Things were made for right-handed people and so my mother enrolled me under a teacher who made her change her writing hand from left to right. So I learned to write with my right but I did most other things with my left. As I grew up, I learned to adapt whichever was more convenient. Lately I taught myself to write with my left hand again. I am now trying to learn shorthand with my left.
@erikmama (12929)
I never even thought about stuff being made for right handed people untill you said it.I gues most things even now are... Wow...They made her change the hand she wrote with? THats crazy! How was she ever able to learn how to write so good?
In my brothers' school, suppose to be more progressive, they have desks for left-handed people. Some of my sports stuff, like golf clubs, are for made for lefties. I am from the Philippines. My mother grew up south of the capital which is a bit conservative. I think in the middle ages, people thought that lefties were the devil's children, and since we were colonized by the Spaniards for 300 years, there are some vestiges of those beliefs. Plus, on the practical side, there are not a lot of things especially made for lefties, and so she was made to write with her right. I was too, since she enrolled me with the same teacher. We learned the same way righties learned, there's really no difference.
@agent807 (724)
This is normal for me seeing as I am left handed. I find it funny when people see me do things with my left hand. There are some thing that I do with my right hand like everyone else, but I cannot write with it. One class I had, the teacher made it a point to tell the class that I was the oddball out of 40 something students because I was the only leftie. Shocked everyone in the class when I had to write information on the board because I can write from right to left as easy as left to right. they thought I was dyslexic. I was trying to not have smudges. Left handed people I think are better to adapt to situations because we were born into this cold right handed world. Though it is not the old days where people would have the hand ties behind them, executed for being evil. No one really teaches people how to do things for a left handed person. It is simply not the opposite of being right handed. We would probably excel in writing Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, and Hebrew since they are from right to left. I love being southpaw because it always surprises someone to see them with a left dominant hand, even in today's accepting society.
You could have went on with the questions =P Anyway, the things I can do with my left hand ONLY are: WRITING, carrying bags, plugging, holding the toothbrush and comb/brush, holding the make up brush or pencil although I only put on make up occasionaly, and holding the lock while keying into it with my RIGHT hand (can't do it the other way around). Oh, when I brush my teeth, I use my left hand for the brush indeed and the RIGHT hand for the glass. Again, can't do it the other way around. My right hand has some more uses aside from those mentioned earlier lol: using the mouse (can't do it with the left hand either). My bad, that's just it. I guess all has something to do with how we're used to with the action. Looking back at my youngster years, I would scribble all over the paper with my left hand and find it difficult to use MR.RIGHT HAND.
@qamarep (4449)
• Pakistan
i cant use the other hand i cant do it with my left hand those works taht i am comfortable doing with my right hand its not possible for me