Do You Suggest Titles?

@erikmama (12934)
I've been a member of Helium for almost a year now, and today I decided to use the Suggest A Title feature. I am so upset I didn't do it sooner, but my earnings for this next month will be great!! I suggested about 10 titles, all but a couple were accepted, so I got first dibs at writing to them!! I plan to use the feature more now when there is something I want to write and tis not already a title on helium. what titles have you created? Why do you/do you not like this feature?
@Canellita (12058)
I am a channel steward so I have to suggest titles, lol. I am sure this suggestion was made already but you should write the articles first and then submit the titles. That way you will always be the first to submit the article and always get the empty title bonus. Also, you may still be able to submit a new title that already exists if you rephrase it in a relevant way. For instance, I tried to submit an article to a title on whether or not people should live together before marriage. I didn't realize the title had been closed so I was stuck with this article until I could come up with an alternative title. As soon as I posted the article a few competitive articles popped up. I guess other people had been in the same situation. Keep writing!
@erikmama (12934)
I think it is really fun to suggest titles! So how do you become a stweard on helium? Thank yu for the tips...I had been submitting and then writing,but writing first makes much more sense and is a lot easier.
What category do you write to the most, Canellita? Since you are a steward, do you write to that category the most? I find it hard coming up with new titles when I HAVE to. Then my mind draws a blank. Do you keep a running list, then submit when you have enough?
@Sandra1952 (6052)
• Spain
Hello, Erikmama. I'm a bit like you - I've only just started to use the 'Suggest a Title' feature, although I have friends on Helium who write almost all of their stuff to titles they've suggested themselves. There are downsides, though. When the title goes live, someone else may get there first through the search facility - this happened to a friend of mine, and she was not impressed! Also, if you sugest lots of titles, one after the other, Helium admin are not so quick at accepting them, so I presume people who are submitting titles for the first time are attended to first, though I have no way of knowing this - it may just be coincidence. I've suggested several titles, mainly to do with life in Spain, such as 'How to choose and use a paella pan,' and 'Spanish kitchen essentials.' I've also done a couple of Spanish language based titles, as most of the ones in that channel are to do with verb conjugation. I may be wrong, but I think even the best writers would have a job making that sound interesting!
@erikmama (12934)
I didn't really think about others getting to the titel first when I suggested them all at once, but luckily I have written the first title to most of them that I suggested. But if I dont get there first, atleast I still have a chance to make it in the first 5 and write about something I truly want to write about. All of mine have been accepted pretty quickly, I guess because I just started. But it is a really cool feature and I plan to use it more often now that it has been discovered!!
@Canellita (12058)
Unless you are planning to write a book review or a profile on someone that you have exclusive access to, it is very likely someone else will post to the title depending on the topic. Always do the article first. Even if the title is rejected you can rephrase it.
@erikmama (12934)
Thank you!! I have rephrased one articel several times, and dont know any other way to rephrase it! But I will write the articles first,always,from now on!! How long have you been writing for Helium,Canellita?
@scheng1 (24801)
Hi Erikmama, there was a month when I was literally suggesting hundred of titles. That was the month I aimed for the third writing star, and the easiest way was to suggest titles and earned empty title bonus. Since title with one or two articles is not competitive, and does not have impact on writing score, it makes sense to have the bulk of your content earning empty title bonus. I managed to earn about $100 in empty title bonus that month. My strategy was rather simple. I wrote book reviews. I need to suggest a new title for each book review. I think this strategy will help you as well. Just make sure that you have the articles ready before you submit the title.
@erikmama (12934)
I've had 3 stars for a while now, and no matter how hard I try I can not seem to get a 4th str to save my life!! But I won't complain. I like my 3 stars!! I thought that if we only wrote to non competitive titles it affected our writing score...Of course I could be wrong.. So far I am at $100 for this month.I've set a goal to make $200 for the month, and at this rate, and the help of the Suggest A Title I think it is going to be possible for me to acheive. I had all of the titels hit me and submitted them, writing them before hand is something I will do before submitting any more titles!
@Canellita (12058)
Your 4th star will come. Don't hesitate to email me and the other channel managers if you ever need any help with Helium. Everything you write affects your score. Some titles affect it in minuscule ways and some affect it more significantly. I have had my score affected by people adding articles to my 1 of 1 titles so I know it does matter when there are less than 3 or 5 articles. (Drove me nuts for a while.) Now that I have the 4th star I don't worry about my score; I only check my ratio of competitive titles periodically. You have to get past an invisible hump to get the next star but just keep writing and you will make it.
Oh, I've signed up on Helium but I've yet to write anything with them yet. I know that the reason that I haven't written yet is because I felt like the titles that I was able to write under didn't exactly fit with what I wanted to write. I didn't take the time to investigate enough to find that there was a feature where I would be able to suggest a title for them. So, though I've never used the feature that you are referring to, I am very thankful for your sharing this bit of insight.
@erikmama (12934)
I didn't take time to search through the titels like I should have, and since I have started digging,I am finding all kinds of titles I want towrite to. I should have some excellent earnings next month, and I really need them. Suggesting titels gives you the chance to write about exactly the titel you want, and earn the upfront and empty title bonuses. I am glad I was of help, and i hope you will check this feature out.It is great! Start writing! You'll love it!
@lgendrot (32)
I always saw that button and never really thought about using it . maybe it's because I'm a little lazy. I'll definitely use it now based on what I've seen in this discussion! Thanks!
@erikmama (12934)
Yea,i've always seen it and never thought about it til yesterday,and I was like hey, I can suggest these titles...And most of them were accepted.So it is pretty cool getting to be the first to write about something I really wanna write about. You should check it out.Its really neat and nice!
@AnythngArt (3304)
I do use this feature, although sparingly. Most of the time, I like to write to the titles that are already there, but sometimes, I think of something, and it just doesn't fit. Also, I read a lot of books and often submit my book reviews. They do post a lot of titles but with thousands of new books coming out each month, there's no way for them to keep on top of all the books. Sometimes I use them for travel articles, too, if there is a place I have visited they haven't covered. This is more rare because apparently Helium writers are travelers. I like using this feature because you just about always get the empty title bonus, but I find that Helium covers so many topics that 99 percent of the time, there is already a title out there.
@erikmama (12934)
I have used it a lot since I discovered it, and I think it is great to get to write to exactly what I want to write to and earn both the empty title and upfront bonuses for the article.Makes for better earnings,too!! I've been having no trouble at all to find new title to write to,though I am running low now! Good luch to you!
We are all trying to capitalize on making as much money as possible, and this is the way to maximize earnings for sure. I am always surprised when I think of something to write to, and they don't have a title. You could be on Helium without a single writing idea of your own and never run out. Sometimes, I start writing to a Helium title on my computer and end up using it for another site. That's how much I take advantage of their titles. Continued good luck over at Helium! Do you ever write to travel? They need people to write about their travels to Italy.
I suggest article titles for things I want to write reviews for if it's not up there already. But I do try to write for titles that have less than five articles in them so people will read mine.