what does independence mean to you?

@redphile (2265)
we all have different experiences with the countries we live in. I think most of the countries I know were either colonies of other nations or have colonies instead. Every person in those countries somewhat fought for their independence. And now are you already feeling that what our forefathers have died for? What does independence mean to you? On a more general level, in your life, is it just being free to do whatever you want? Your thoughts please. Thanks.
I give you props on a good discussion question! It made me think! I think being independent is the ability to survive on your own without another person's house. Of course, you would love to survive with the help of someone else, but independence is necessary to survive in life. You need to be able to do basic things. Cook, clean, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love having my boyfriend help me. I rely on him for a lot of things, but I know I need to be able to do those thing son my own.
@redphile (2265)
Not needing to rely on others really is independence. I believe that no man is island and one way or another that we will be needing help from others still. Working for your own and living on your own is also independence for me, not relying on parents and other people to feed and dress yourself. Thanks for sharing. Hope that you and your boyfriend continues to help each other out.
@rosie230 (1674)
No it's not just to do with being free, and pleasing myself with whatever I choose to do, but independance for me, is being able to take care of myself without relying on others, and to do what is right for me and my family to survive in this world.
@redphile (2265)
I know that its not just being free, but being free with responsibility. Taking matters into one's own hands without relying on others. Being able to take care of one's self in all aspects of his life. That I believe is total independence.
@defcon505 (921)
It means the birth of a nation whose foundations was built by the people not the monarchs.
@redphile (2265)
I agree that the nation is all for the people and by the people. Without the cooperation and oneness of the people, a nation will never be.
@qianyun6 (2069)
I think independence is a kind of feeling. Our ancestors struggled for surviving together, and formed culture, language, sense of worth, and etc. And their posterity became same. This crowd of people are called a nation. And if this crowd of people are conquered and dominated by another crowd of people with different culture, language, sense of worth... They will feel independence, and fight for their own culture etc. But the cultures are combining while time is passing. After several generations when the cultures etc turn same, the feeling of independence will disappear.
@redphile (2265)
Being able to form their own nation is independence. I do agree with you on that. Even with all the colonial countries that have taken over ours, our forefathers still managed to keep up their faith and continued fighting for freedom and eventually they have claimed their independence.