Does your food taste umami?

@tomitomi (5441)
Singapore
I've just learned something new from the news today. If you can't describe exactly how your food tastes, if it's not exactly sweet, bitter, sour or salty, it's probably "umami', said to be the fifth taste. I'm equally dumbfounded! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami
@MrDollars (454)
I did not know this and am interested to learn more about this, Thank you for sharing. $-MrDollars-$
@tomitomi (5441)
I find it very interesting too. Thank you for your interest.
@eil_noz (963)
Umami was really famous in our country. You go to any house or even restaurants in our place and you'll definitely find the cook using it for the food to be served. I've tried tasting it to but a little amount only. Inside our home my mom usually is the cook but umami seemed to be banned at home because my mom was very strict about the nutrition that we could have. To much umami can affect a person mentally that's what she said.lol
@tomitomi (5441)
If that's the fifth taste used both as an adjective and a noun here then you are far ahead than most of us. Frankly I've yet to discover how this fifth taste actually is. Or perhaps we may have tasted it without actually knowing. Or it may just be a myth. I'm sure mom knows best. And mom knows alot too! Thanks for sharing eil_noz. Thanks for the prompt response.