are choclates poisonus to dogs?

India
June 8, 2010 5:00am CST
I heard so many people saying that choclates are poisonus to dogs and should never feed them.Is it true?
1 person likes this
6 responses
@ckyera (17261)
• Philippines
8 Jun 10
hi sindhusta, well i know that chocolates should not be given to dogs but i don't really know the reason why. haha i don't even know that its poisonous for them, all i know is that it will make them hyperactive that's why im not giving any to my dog. but thanks for your post, now i know why it should not be given. hehe
• India
9 Jun 10
Thank you for your response.
@eil_noz (963)
• Philippines
8 Jun 10
I'm not quite sure if it was really dangerous for dogs. But what I know is that nuts like macadamia, almond nuts, etc. are toxic to dogs. Maybe that chocolate has a nut on it.lol... O by the way, we should always remember that our pets were not little humans whom we can share all the food we eat like for example avocados were toxic to birds. Well, let's just be careful
• India
8 Jun 10
hey,thank you so much.I'll be carefull.......
@dentabz (142)
• Philippines
8 Jun 10
Yes, chocolates are poisonous to dogs but I forgot the reason why. This was told me by a veterinarian.That is why I am not giving our dog a chocolate. Besides, chocolates is very sweet and not good for our dog's teeth.
• India
8 Jun 10
thank you......
• India
8 Jun 10
i too heard about that but dont know is that true or not, but i will not give my puppy any chocolates because why should i risk its health,.. and thank you for asking this question because i too can read out the responses.
• India
8 Jun 10
I used to feed it.But after reading the responses I will neve think of it.thank you for the response.
• Philippines
8 Jun 10
i was made aware of this when my sister decided to own a pet. our father strictly followed up on what we are feeding our dog. he forbade feeding out pet any chocolates. from what i got, chocolates are stimulants and healthy for humans. but there is a chemical that is present in chocolates called Theobromine that increases urination and it affects the central nervous system. watch out for symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea and hyperactivity of your dog. these would manifest if your dog ingested a toxic dose of theobromine.
• India
8 Jun 10
thank you for your response.
@Capsicum (1444)
• United States
8 Jun 10
Yes so it is said.It is one of the top ,Ten items not to give your dog. Then there is onions garlic cloves coffee or the beans grapes raisins mushrooms Sorry can't remember the rest at this time.
• India
8 Jun 10
Thank you so much.