Simply irresistible...

@dawnald (84146)
Shingle Springs, California
I thought I had left this all behind when I left Yuwie. I was on Facebook and I got this friend request, and we had mutual friends, so I added him. Didn't hear much from him until one night he caught me on chat. I wasn't really in the mood, so I made an excuse and went offline. But silly me, I gave him my Yahoo address, and Monday I had an invite. Today he buzzes me, so I figure what the heck, let's find out how (or if) I know him. Well to my surprise, it turns out that he saw my picture, fell instantly in love, and needs me in his life. Can anybody say SCAMMER? lol This reminded me of a conversation (I still have it somewhere) with an online friend from Indonesia. He had gotten contacted by a scammer, one of those who want you to send them a small amount of money and then they will send you a much larger amount. Yeah right. Anyway, he didn't have any money to send, but he does have a great sense of humor, so he got on IM with her and then the phone, and just led her on until she finally realized he was messing with her and hung up. So I thought, we have a creative bunch here. If you were going to mess with one of these scammers, how would you do it? What would you say to keep them chatting with you as long as possible without them realizing that you are on to them. Scripts, anybody?
i can say hammer..does that count? haha..your indonesian friend only got that far? the last lass who wanted to scam me actually agreed to buy me dinner. and i pulled the old 'i need to go to the loo' get away. and i'm not even feeling one bit guilty. she was trying to sell an online company that doesn't exist, and she already managed to scam another acquaintance of mine out of a few hundred bucks as 'downpayment'..
try the old 'damsel in distress story' and you might be able to see some interesting lines from him. you're supposed to just pretend, so make sure that you don't fall for any sweet talk now!
no problem sir. but due to the quirky cross-border laws, i'd need to transfer it via an offshore bank. i just started a new one, so if you can deposit a small amount of 500euros (just to see if it works), i'll remit the full amount to you soon enough.. and by the way, i'm also administrating the official statewide lottery for the southern Thailand province. and guess what, your myLot id came up! Congratulations Mr. Rich! so if you can also remit a small processing fee of 350euros (you can use the same offshore bank account), the monies will be transfered to you in a jiffy. bank details are: Bank Scamalot. Acc# 1-800-a-sucker-is-born-everyday-30 (it's the same number as the hotline you can contact me if you have any inquiries after the money is to be transferred to you.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
The damsel in distress thing sounds promising...
@vandana7 (68621)
Wow, does lamby know this? He will start ranting again - this time even GAA wont be able to help him. :)
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
His comment was "shcammer", so I replied "you can't even shpell shcammer"...
@vandana7 (68621)
You two are simply too great!
@Opal26 (17690)
Oh, what's this about you and the Lamb?
@May2k8 (7011)
I do not like the man who seduced me to ask for money, I think to tell them that many needs that must be fulfilled so I can not give to them. I will read the message and away from them, then use bot to chat with them.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
A bot, huh? Can a bot scam a scammer?
@May2k8 (7011)
maybe it could, if the way it spoke like a real people with a little ingenuity and choose the words that are not recognized by the scammer, so they'll think it's human who talk to them. I'm not yet test it, perhaps in the future I want to make this one possible.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Artificial intelligence busts scammer
@LittleMel (14055)
I don't remember doing this online, but I did on phone a lot of times back then I lived in my parents' house and somehow we always got these calls looking for all kinds of names that never lived there we know these names never lived there because my parents lived there since the house was built LOL now I did give the phone number to char friends online so they did call but they would know my name or else who would they talk to ? so one day I decided to play the game, I made up stories such as the person they are looking for moved, got married, the house is haunted by deceased relative LOL these calls are not spammers, but I don't think they mean well because they keep calling when we told them nobody is here with those names funny thing is, once they hear the story they don't call as often LOL
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I guess they got the message!
@LittleMel (14055)
Yeah they sure did :)
send him an amazon wish list. if he's so in love tell him to send you stuff LOL most of those people are BS artists anyway...
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
lol I never thought of that.... Think I really would have gotten something? Nah...
you never know. i had a friend who mentioned on her blog about wanting something (totally random) and the next day,one of her readers bought it! i was like i hate your luck LOL
@ElicBxn (60894)
yeah, the roomie's gotten a few of those, and she DOESN'T even have a human avatar up there... before that, she had cats up!!! I haven't had it, but again, I've got the same avatar there as here
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Maybe I should change my avatar to a big, fat, hairy bald guy! :D
@ElicBxn (60894)
or change it to something that can't be mistaken as female... - then when they say that, nail them on it!
@zed_k4 (17627)
Ha, I've a suggestion.. just say that you are want to meet halfway in the, errr...moon? That will put him in place.. so tell him to get his astronaut jacket ready..
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
he won't go to an airless moon if he's an airhead. :D
@zed_k4 (17627)
Then suggest a duck tour.. he'll fit in with the ducks..:p
@MsTickle (24994)
The best way to get someone's undivided attention is to build some rapport between you. You do this by mirroring their actions, for a start. Online is a different thing so what you do is parrot them. Basically repeat everything he says using your own words. Have you a photo of him? Just tell him you think the same thing has happened to you. Just keep him at arms length while you toy with him...
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
He's got a photo posted. Naw, I think I'll just let it go...
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey dawn! Is this just about getting a little lamby jealous?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Nope. Why would anybody get jealous at some stupid idiot like this?
@jagjit273 (1740)
Just ignore such scammers. save your time
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I am not going to do it, it's just fun to think about.
@Cutie18f (9563)
I hate scammers. Why do they do this? Lately, I have been a victim of one. Grrrr....it's a long story though. It is not actually an online kind of scamming but scamming in real life--I lost my savings to this swindler and I hate to think about it.
I just ignore them. I really don't want to take the time out of my "obviously busy" day to mess with their heads. I started getting love letters as soon as I got on My Space -- all the more interesting since I had placed absolutely nothing on there yet. They really are laughable, aren't they?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I just don't get how somebody you never even met can just know that you're the one. And women fall for that? They must, or guys wouldn't even try it.
@cream97 (29166)
Hi, dawnald. How about me just giving them a fake of everything. Fake photo, fake name, fake address, fake email address, fake I.P. address, fake IM, fake conversation. I would be untraceable.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
lol I like how you think!
@jillhill (37383)
Okay....I am terrible...sometimes I just get a little p*ssed and just forward their email or web address directly to our local FBI.....I don't really like getting jerked around.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Hm, maybe I could just post it on a blog somewhere and tell people to contact him.
@cupkitties (7561)
Your scammer did it wrong. He's supposed to talk to you for a few months at least, gain your trust and then do the whole "I love you!" bit. Dude failed big time on scammers 101. I wouldn't mess with them. Some scammers can be violent and dangerous. They are criminals after all. My ex mother in law experienced that before when one of them called trying to sale her something. She said she wasn't interested at the time but they still wanted her to give them personal information. When they couldn't get it they started getting hysterical and she hung up on them. A normal sales person would have just gone on, not start cursing someone out and hyperventilating.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
No I wouldn't mess with him, but it's fun thinking about it!
@blue65packer (11835)
I avoid all risks I can to avoid scammers and other people I don't like on line! There are to many crazy and rude people on line! Then you have the scammers! It just amazes me they can and will go to great lengths to scam people! If it is to good to be true it isn't!It is scam! I will not add anybody as a friend on Facebook if I don't know them! This can help avoid being scammed!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
yeah I need to be more selective...
Wow - dawnald! You mean the feelings weren't mutual? Hee hee! I guess I never thought to lead a scammer on . . . I figure if I did and they could find me - who knows what they might do to me for revenge!! I used to get a bunch of those "Nigerian" email/fax scams . . . bahhh!! But if I could get away with it, hmmmm. I'm sure they'd just be feeding me things that they think I'd want to hear . . . so I would just follow their lead and do the same. Sweet nothings that are truly sweet nothings! "Tell me more about my eyes [batting eyes] . . . ".
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
make sure and let them know that you're independently wealthy...
@paula27661 (15899)
This could be such fun Dawn! I would lead him on and be clever and cute. I would tell him that I feel the same way and play along and keep it going as long as possible, after all he can’t hurt you and he doesn’t have your address or anything. People like this deserve a taste of their own medicine. I haven’t come up with a clever plan but if I do I will let you know. I would definitely have some fun with him and lead him to believe I’m into him.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Perhaps I could tell him that I'll be in Georgia next week and arrange to meet...
@qianyun6 (2069)
For me, I will simply ignore, put it in the black list, that's all. I'm not a humored person. But your Indonesian friend is really funny, he played a very humored trick on the scammer. A bit evil but I like it.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I like it too. I could never pull it off myself.
@hofferp (4739)
I'm not very much fun... When I know it's a scam, I just cut off the call, hang up, or whatever. I never seem to be in the mood to have some fun with the scammer. Maybe because I've been seriously scammed and am still reeling...
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I just cut it off too, but would serve the guy right if somebody played him for an idiot!