hachooooooooooooooooooooo...............say x-cuse me?

Spain
when i sneeze, i have some colds or i inhaled some dusts or any powder that makes me sneeze like the powedered black pepper for example... so i say excuse me when someone is near to me.. one time, when i was shopping at the downtown, i sneezed and so i must say excuse me to the people in front of me.. but they said i must not ask for excuse but praise God instead.. and i wonder why... In your country, does sneezing means something?
oops...had a wrong post in the wrong discussion there! i'm so embarrassed now i sneeze a lot when it's too dusty..and almost everyone around here says 'excuse me' when they sneeze. if we forget, there'll usually be someone to remind us...or they'll just stare instead
hi mario different customs here all around you when you sneeze will chime in God Bless you, we do not excuse our sneezes really when I am in allergy mode I do not have time to say excuse me achoo excuse me a choo excuse me achoo, see it would get monotonous as I just sneezed here five times in a row.all by myself so nobody to excuse myself to or to God bless me either. allergy season here is in full swing. ach hoo.
• Spain
and someone would joke aside perhaps, "go take a bath"... hehehe thanks a lot there Mr. Mario... Hi Ms Hatley, May God Shower His Blessings to you.. are you suffering from SAD this month of June there... I love sneezing but only maximum of 2 to 3 more than that, surely my nose will become tomatoes.. and keeping deep breathe and bring those air into my lungs might drown me Get well there Ms. Hatley..Hacchooooooooooooooo...
*ah...ah...ah chooo..!* excuse me...
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya kumar, Here we say Jesus for the first sneeze Maria for the second and Joseph if you get to the third one. Which is very likely as we are into the pollen season so lot´s of unwanted sneezes going around. All that really means is bless you but saying it three times like that means that Jesus Mary and Joseph will bless you and keep you and others from nasty infections. It´s more a custom, a habit than anything with real meaning. In England we would say or used to say Bless You which is the same thing really. When I dust the House I usually sneeze a few times too sometimes not all though.
• Spain
Hola Senhora, Muy amable de commienzo, I remember, one from my friends here used to say those Names you mentioned. When something/someone shocks/surprised him, he'd also say, DiosMio.. At times, i like sneezing as it could unclog my nose especially when i have colds...
• Pamplona, Spain
Hola kumar, Lo mismo te digo it means likewise in shorter terms the same here. Just like I said before it´s more a habit than anything. People say they say it because that´s what they were taught and really when you say it it´s a shorter way of saying hope you don´t get any bad colds. They reckon it comes from the times of when the Black Plagues was very widespread and it started from there originally. Dios mio yes this a common expression here I try not to use it though if you know what I mean. I usually say ay Dios but again I try not to as it´s more of a habit than anything.
• Pamplona, Spain
Hiya kumar, It seems that it is what I thought that Pope Gregory the First ordered litanies to be said that is sort of like a Mantra but their version of it. These litanies were believed to keep the Black Plague at bay to keep it away in other words. So this is basically where it came from. Of course since then many other versions have sprung up. So bless you was a saying as if to say I hope I don´t get the plague and may you be safe from it as well. That is basically what it means. This is only what I have looked up to make sure that my idea was more or less right. It´s like we have this silly habit of knocking or touching wood when we hope that nothing will go wrong. The idea is the same more or less. Suppose that it made sense then and it makes sense now really as to wish someone well and that is nothing to sneeze at I would say (grin). Take care now.
Kumar hi here in the U S we say God bless you as its a theory by some medical people that for the instant or two when we are sneezing we are not breathing so for a tiny while are close to dying so God Bless came to be used.I really do not think this is a valid theory as just now as I am allergic to something I sneezed about five times and am not short of breath either. lol lol.
• Spain
Ms. Hatley, You know when i suffered from colds, i want to stir my nosetrils using my hair or any tiny thing that can prickle and call my urge to sneeze. i want to produce and say a nice achoooooo to melt those cloggies so i could squirt off for a nice relief.. i could really spank someone if he intend to cut my urge in getting my nice achhoooo...
hi kumar I know exactly what you mean,you are so stuffed all you want is a great big achoo to maybe open up some airways and let you breathe' again. Been there and down that, and finally did sneeze . my roomie said you are catching a cold,uh yes, duh!!!!!
• Spain
hi, Ms. Hatley, when i was a kid, my mom used to squeeze roasted lemon - the mandarin small calamansi and drop its juice into my mouth while asleep...
Hi, whenever I sneeze in public I would usually cover my moth to ensure that I won't shower anyone with whatever virus I have and would sometimes say excuse me. But when I come across with someone who sneeze then I would tell that person "God bless you" out of habit i guess.
• Spain
Nice of you Kenchi. We really need to cover our mouth. Who among us would want to be showered by someones sneeze.. In some areas, God Bless still said..
I have an allergic rhinitis. If I know sneezing is coming, I will excuse myself ahead to find place to sneeze out, but if it is in uncontralable situation, I will say excus me or I'm sorry. It is so unethical to sneeze infront to many people especially if you don't cover your mouth with your palm or handkerchief. I am so noisy if I sneeze, that is why I am very concious about it. I tried to avoid all the allergens than can cause my allergic reaction such as the dust, pepper, cologne, and powder
• Spain
Hi Adeena, You are right. It is so embarassing and disgracing one's department if we made a nice sneeze in front of the people as it might be said scandalous.. They would surely take a glance who was that ahchooer and see us from head to foot by saying hey, "I took a bath" that's your own odor! This is really happening here. They often say that....
@mspitot (3833)
after sneezing i say excuse for sneezing cause it may bring virus to other people that may cause them having sickness...in our country sometimes people around the person who sneezed say "o took a bath" as a joke. sometimes we sneeze when our nose get sensitive to some smell.
• Spain
hahaha but i would surely say "hey that's your odor" so go take a bath if i'm the one near to that person...
Hello kumar, i don't say any thing, just keep my handkerchief in front of my nose, so that the particles are not sprayed out, for me it is a natural phenomenon, no specific meaning.. Thanks for sharing. Welcome always. Cheers. Professor
• Spain
Hi Prof., I asked for excuse as it is a very nice and well said hachoo and i forgot to cover my mouth. i was at the counter paying and the person next to me really had a sudden shower that is why i also said sorry... and he said something that i did not get its meaning as he said it in his language.. thanks a lot Prof..