Anyone ever find out why this happened?

I had forgotten about this highly insulting incident. I never heard any reason for this very nasty slap in the face to our British Allies. Obama is the alien in the White House. One of his first reforms was to rid the White House of the bust of Winston Churchill—a gift from Tony Blair—by packing it back off to 10 Downing Street. A cloudlet of mystery has surrounded the subject ever since, but the central fact stands clear. The new administration had apparently found no place in our national house of many rooms for the British leader who lives on so vividly in the American mind. Churchill, face of our shared wartime struggle, dauntless rallier of his nation who continues, so remarkably, to speak to ours. For a president to whom such associations are alien, ridding the White House of Churchill would, of course, have raised no second thoughts. http://www.westernjournalism.com/the-alien-in-the-white-house/ Anyone understand why he did this? AT LEAST HE DIDN'T SELL IT ON EBAY!
@laglen (19780)
it most likely did not match the decor. It stood out against the chairman maos Christmas bulb
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
"It stood out against the chairman maos Christmas bulb." ROFL!
Too funny I had forgotten about that and not to forget of course, it wouldn’t be Christmas without an ornament of legendary transvestite Hedda Lettuce. These ornaments really show his class. http://biggovernment.com/capitolconfidential/2009/12/22/transvestites-mao-and-obama-decorate-white-house-christmas-tree/
@laglen (19780)
Theres your hope and change!
@Rollo1 (16685)
• Boston, Massachusetts
I think Obama did everything he could to be disrespectful to the Queen, Prince Philip and Gordon Brown when he visited the UK. He gave thoughtless, useless gifts and protocol and even common manners flew out the window. I don't know if he thinks he's Mr. Uber-cool or Henry Higgins. His manners are atrocious. Winston Churchill still stands in history and in our hearts and minds as an icon of liberty. He stands for the struggle for freedom, resistance to tyranny and courage in times of fear and uncertainty. I am ashamed of our president for sending his image back. The man has no class.
I agree. I have always been told that manners you can learn but class you have to be born with and he seems to be lacking in both!
@Taskr36 (13923)
Oh don't be so hard on him. He got them those nifty Region 1 DVDs at Walmart just in case they ever wanted to watch DVDs while visiting the US.
@dragon54u (31635)
My thoughts exactly, Rollo. I was mortified when he gave DVDs--how cheap and insulting!--that would not work in Europe. He is alienating all our allies, look what he did canceling the missle base in Poland, treating Isreal like dirt when they visit the WH.
@aquariand (466)
I had no idea this had happened and think it should be put back as we are allies to the americans and it is a tad disrespectful
@deebomb (15322)
Aquar you put it so mildly. Only a tad disrespectful. I think it is much more than a tad.
I think it is downright insulting!
@lacieice (2065)
If you would read the article in Newsweek (link in an above post), you would see the following information (I can't copy/paste yet): The bust was a LOANER from Tony Blair after 9/11. Bush had it in the oval office. It was removed BEFORE Obama took possession of the office, as is the custom during a changeover of presidents. Obama placed a bust of Abraham Lincoln in the office. He has always made it known that Abraham Lincoln was someone he holds in high regard. I guess people just have to find things to nit-pick about.
I read the article and that it was a loaner I could not find anywhere else but even if it was there is no evidence that it was ever asked to be returned. As I said above "If Obama was not intent in ruffling some feathers then he should just have moved it to one of many unoccupied rooms in the White House not make a point of sending it back to London." I guess Obama lovers will give any crappy excuse to protect their loved one!
@lacieice (2065)
Why get snippy? If you read the article, you will see it does say it was a loaner. It also says it was taken out before Obama moved in. In fact, if you read further, it states that the English people will probably not care one way or the other if it was returned. And, usually, things that are loaned are supposed to be returned.
@jb78000 (15173)
i'm british and as you said i doubt anybody here gives a toss about a loaned ornament being returned or not. maybe it was a slow news day for the burble?
@rocketj1 (6960)
I found a more reputable link: http://www.newsweek.com/2009/02/20/busted-the-churchill-flap.html I think this explains it better. I'm not an Obama fan, but I think this story has been stretched a bit.
Thank You! How could I have missed that article. It certainly explains a lot although IMO it was not very diplomatic and could certainly be viewed as a snub. If Obama was not intent in ruffling some feathers then he should just have moved it to one of many unoccupied rooms in the White House not make a point of sending it back to London.
@Lakota12 (42681)
I do beleive this was very uncalled for and why didnt the media rise holy h#ll about it
@bestboy19 (5482)
Churchill's mother was an American and his father British and Winston became Prime Minister of Great Britain. Obama's mother was an American and his father a Kenyan and he became President of the United States. Maybe, because of their similar circumstances, Obama compares himself to Churchill and realizes he is weighed in the balance and found wanting, and the bust is a reminder of the ideal leader he will never be.