Token cuts or real cuts?

@laglen (19782)
A year and a half and a bazillion dollars later, the White House is calling for a 5% cut from agencies. Yep 5%. That oughta do it eh? I live in a fiscally sound county. We are still doing well. Our county still trimmed a minimum of 10% from EVERY department and more from some. Last year. They are shaving more this year. This is not because we have a deficit, it is because we are anticipating what will come. 5% wow. How much has your family/household already trimmed? How much more do you anticipate? Your energy bills are going up again, the cost of gas, and most products are going up. Higher fuel costs = higher food costs. 5% - this is the fiscal restraint we asked for? I know, at least it is 5% and not 1%. But I am just not satisfied with 5%. To give credit - they are also demanding that agencies list their least critical areas that dont meet their missions. It doesnt say what they will do with these lists. But they want them. They are looking for redundancy in programs. This is a great idea and should have been implemented a long time ago and reviewed every year. You can read the whole article and see who is in support and who is against and why http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/07/AR2010060704832.html?wprss=rss_politics What is your opinion?
We both live in silly countries my friend!! Our PM decided to lower Welfare checks for single mothers and people between the ages of 55 and 60. Yup, thats it, cut where it hurts the most. You always get me angry haha.....Try to find nice things to discuss pleeeze....but I know its impossible with all thats going on now. Lets blow up your government and mine ok? (joke)
@laglen (19782)
lol sure - would you like discussions on kittens? did you see my discussion on the 11 year old girls speech? how about the Cactus Cuties? I DO try to do some positive!
Im sorry, I was joking about "nice" discussions. Yes Ive seen the one on the 11 yo and I know you know lol. I havent seen the Cactus cuties yet....Im going down the list....long one as I havent been here for at least 2 wks. Im getting there haha As for kittens, nah, I have a dog
@laglen (19782)
ok, but feel lucky - I just had 18 discussions deleted. So at least you didnt get through all of them!
@TTCCWW (579)
Most of these departments have only had new management for a few months. Some still do not have their appointments in place. Clinton was the last to do this and he did not do it until the second term. 5 % is a start and better then an increase which is what we normally have. Some presidents butcher departments, they don't do accross the board cuts. Carter did a hiring freeze which might be a good idea now but I am impressed. Never thought I would see this from any first term president.
@laglen (19782)
Good, thank you for the positive response. It is at least a start!
@TTCCWW (579)
Moving companies from the thought concepts of growth to conservation is a huge problem and I have though for yeaars that getting any government agency to shift their thinking is going to take decades. The whole thing is set up to grow not only in thought concepts but also because of population growth in the US. One of our past presidents tried a suggestion box, for lack of a better term, and rewarded government workers for ideas on shrinking their departments amd making them more efficient. This may have been Bush 41..
@laglen (19782)
When our County Commissioners told the departments last year that they needed to cut 10%, a director told me "oh they say that every year, dont worry" he is no longer with the county..... Our Commissioners were serious and followed through. I hope Obama does too!