Why do people want to pierce thier mouth it is so nasty to me?

My daughter wants something called snake eyes in her mouth. I can't sstand it anymore just hearing about this mess. I just turned my head and told her to leave me alone about this. What would be the craze about this nasty behavior?
@lilybug (21148)
It is not something I would ever want to get done myself and it is something I really do not want my kids to do when they get older either. I can handle ear piercings, but that is where I personally draw the line.
I am with you on this one.
Amen and AMEN!!! There is also a limit to the number of ear piercings I can handle. I saw one guy whose ears had so many pieces of metal on them that I could barely tell that he had ears. And another one who had rings making a tunnel in his lobes...like 1" diameter tubes going through his ears. That is too much, as well. I think more than 3 holes per ear is just a little too much.
@karen1969 (1788)
Oh yes, those tubes in the ears to make the holes bigger just make me feel sick!!!
@alaskanray (4642)
I have to agree with you on this one. I knew a gal who had her tongue done and she would sit clacking the thing against her teeth all the time like a nervous tic so I have to think it's somehow connected to low self-esteem, this need to mutilate our bodies. Kids see this stuff in the movies and think, Wow, how cool because movies are not reality and they don't realize that they can't live in a movie. They have to live in reality. Right now I'm going through a problem with my daughter and her makeup. She insists on trying to look like a vampire because they are the "in" thing thanks to Twilight and other such films. I guess I should be happy she isn't mutilating herself, eh? I had a parenting teacher who said our chief job as parents of teens is to see that they survive to adulthood. As long as my daughter makes it out of it alive, I suppose I should be grateful.
I will start to think like you. I just can't stand this mess.
@karen1969 (1788)
At least make up isn't permanent and can be washed off every night!!
True enough, although that's another sore point...she doesn't usually wash it off every night. Can you imagine her pillowcases??? What a laundry nightmare! LOL :)
@stealthy (8188)
I have never understood this thing about doing things to fit in, especially among teenagers who should be wanting to be individuals. When I was a teen, I never cared anything about peer pressure or doing things to fit in with everyone else. I though it was much better and more important to be my own person and be an individual, not part of a herd. Why would teens want to be sheep or cows? I don't get it.
I hear you there, too...my daughter is very strong minded and I see that as a good thing but at the same time she is strong minded about the wrong things. She lets her friends influence her rather than influencing them. I was the same way but outgrew it, thank heaven. I never bought into this peer pressure jargon when I was a teen but looking back I can see how my loneliness made me do things just so I wouldn't be alone. Loneliness is an illness that can only be cured by a good strong self-esteem.
I had to look it up as I had no idea of this piercings name. I don't think I'd want the tip of my tongue done if anything inside my mouth done. Now a monroe or a lip perhaps but the tongue... heck no! I'm not sure but I always thought the point in that one was something $exual if you KWIM? I'd tell your daughter, if she wants it done she earns the money herself & waits til she's 18 and can sign the release from the piercing parlor.
@cream97 (29169)
I wondered what the design was really called. I know a girl that I used to hang with that had her tongue pierced. She was married. I asked her how could she manage with this piercing in her mouth. She would talk to me and her tongue would be whirling all around. I believe she found it to be sexy, but to me it was disturbing.
@cream97 (29169)
I hope that your daughter will change her mind about getting her tongue pierced. She would really have to keep it cleaned. And sanitized. I hope that this is just a fad that she is going through and nothing else.
@cleewlkr (160)
Hello there giftsandbagscom a child around this age, usually they want to make difference. This Was Caused by what they see and what kind of people around he/her. but you mustn't force your daughter to do what you want. also check who she is with (I mean her friends outside there) if you know she is wrong, then tell her. But don't scold her. (well you can try ask her "if you do this, will you regret it?" or "think about it what if....." or anything else that you can do without scolding her) you can't leave her alone but you can't force her too hard. To do as your wish a child needs love from the parents..and I think you could do it.
I have tended older folks who got tattoos when they were younger. As the skin ages and loses elasticity, those tattoos become blurred and can really look pathetic. Not so cool anymore, eh? lol...I am so glad I never gave in to the temptation to get a tat!
@dawnald (84132)
• Shingle Springs, California
I had enough trouble with pierced ears and infections. I would never, ever do anything with the mouth. Sounds way too painful and potentially very nasty...
I have no idea at all whatsoever as to what the allure of having piercings in your mouth is at all. I remember when it was considered to be a little bit out there to have multiple piercings on their ears. Now, it does seem that most people that are wanting to express their individuality are moving more towards different piercings on their faces. I do, however, have to admit that I don't know what this snake eyes that you are referring to is about at all.
• Estonia
It's cool, don't you know it! I think that all children, or should I say teens, will pass through the periods of time when they start to want somehow separate themselves from the crowd. They want to be special and look so, so that's why the start piercing their skin or doing tattoos or coloring their hair. I think it's all about the willing to be distinguishable from the rest of the people.
@karen1969 (1788)
I don't like these kinds of piercings either. I only have my ears pierced but I rarely wear earrings these days. I think getting ears pierced once or twice is fine and sometimes a small stud can look nice in the nose. But I really hate all the disfiguring piercings, especially on the tongue and those awful big holes in the ears!