Why Are The Soccer Balls Untested Before Using It?

Singapore
Of late, there has been much said about the new soccer ball being used in this World Cup tournament. It is already the many numerous times already and I just cannot help wondering the reason or rationale of these experiment launches. Now, we have so many accounts of it being responsible for the players not being able to get use to it and all that, So, why isn't any national soccer federation taking this up with FIFA in the first place? Why couldn't these balls which had been approved earlier not be used at leagues to let players get used to it? I may be ranting here but I feel that FIFA really should come out and clear this especially when there's always a new ball for every tournament. Is there a conspiracy somewhere? Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1286255/England-players-blame-new-World-Cup-ball-Greens-howler.html
I would have to guess that the reason that the new balls are untested before the different soccer tournaments is because of the fact that it gives everyone that exact same disadvantage when it comes to the balls. If they were to test them prior to the start of a major tournament, there is no guarantee that everyone would have an equal opportunity to get used to them. However, I also don't really think that it is necessary to come out with a new ball for every tournament.
dorannmwin, You are partially right here where you see the the non necessity of coming out new balls for every tournament. I am for the old adage where it says: "Don't fix it; if it ain't broken", because researches and tests requires a considerable amount of money and FIFA should just continue to approve the balls from previous tournaments so that the monies could be better spent on tournament hosting countries. Unbeknown to you, the Germans had already had a feel of these new balls as Adidas the makers of these balls are the actually the German league official ball sponsors. It is reported that prior to the tournament - these new balls were actually introduced into the league for play. Whereas, professional leagues in other regions that have other brands for their ball sponsorships will not be able to play or test them, as in the case of the England team where their EPL is having Umbro as their official ball sponsor. So, as you can see there is unfairness here and a lot of coaches are already are both airing their concerns and frustrations with the new ball. Ref: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2010/article-1286607/World-Cup-balls-Just-BUT-England-having-kickabout.html
@ram_cv (16516)
There are two reasons why new balls are introduced before each world cup. 1 is due to the tie up between Adidas and FIFA. Secondly it gives FIFA new merchandise to sell before every world cup. Having said that if the Germans were able to use it in their league matches, the other leagues could have followed suit as well. So I guess it is just a question of whether the leagues in some of the countries are helping the national sides or not!! Cheers! Ram
ram_cv, I think you are partially correct here. Officially and literally speaking, there is no actual tie ups between FIFA and Adidas because everything will need to be tendered for election by various sporting corporations to be the official sponsor or official supplier. I do not feel that FIFA will be short of merchandise or souvenirs to sell before the world cup. The balls can be reproduced with new imprints and logos for this new tournament as in the past practiced. As the saying goes: "One ball just doesn't make a world of difference," and I think you are aware of this. However, I see a more sinister side or rather a conspiracy here where the elected Adidas is playing a marketing strategy to introduce their wares into non Adidas sponsored events and countries - professional and amateur ones, as well. For example, the EPL is heavily sponsored by Umbro and they do not only provide the sportswear apparels, accessories and footwear. Most importantly, finance as well to the league which you know is very vital for its survival and well being of such an entity. So, there is nothing the England FA or EPL or even the eccentric coach Capello could do to introduce the ball for the players to adapt and upset the contracts. So, you are spot on when you said it is about business. But, you have to look at the macro aspects here.
@ram_cv (16516)
FIFA and Adidas do have a strong tie-up. Since the 70s Adidas has been the official ball maker for the World Cups. Cheers! Ram