Confusion Consfusion Confusion i have in Enlish Grammar will you solve it.?

@siliguri (4051)
Really i get tired of deep dig of English Grammar. Yesterday i had been learn that WOULD is used to express past tenses and it said that would is the past of will. But according to my knowledge or i have seen that would has use to express future situation also. Like I would do in my way What's the hell it is can any one pull me out from this deep dig of English Grammar. Please Help me Friends..?
@urbandekay (18314)
Don't think grammar, think usage. We use 'would' as the past conditional; "I would have gone, had you asked me." and also like this: "Would you like to go." But, "Tomorrow, I will go." and; "Tomorrow, I should like to go." 'Should' implies desires to "Tomorrow, I should go but I would rather not." 'Should' implies ought to "Tomorrow, I would go but cannot." 'Would' implies a condition All the best urban
I agree with you, for us english is second language, bit difficult to master.. Thanks for guidence. Cheers. Professor
@urbandekay (18314)
Indeed, English must be confusing for someone that learns it as a second language. It may help to understand that English is at base a Germanic language with a Latin language grafted on top. Not only that, but we have always imported words from other languages, which, whilst it lends English an unsurpassed degree of subtly and accuracy of expression, means the vocabulary is huge. Half a million catalogued words and the same number as yet uncatalogued. A graduate of a UK university may have a personal vocabulary in excess of the total vocabulary of some other languages! Consider the words, anger, ire, wrath, these words are often quoted as synonymous yet each has a slightly different shade of meaning and each springs from a different language. all the best urban
@eileenleyva (9465)
My old English teacher used to say... forget the grammar, talk the language! So, perhaps you should start using English without checking if you used the correct grammar. Soon, you will become well versed. The grammar will take care of itself.
@siliguri (4051)
Actually i'm doing preparation for the competition exams and i have to learn grammar as it is come in the exams and i have to get through from it...thanks friend for the nice reply...
@Opal26 (17694)
Hi eileen, I said that same thing! I didn't know that you had to learn it for exams siliguri.
Okay siliguri, if you are joining an English Grammar Contest, be sure to brush up on your punctuation and capitalization. The first person I is always capitalized. After the Actually, a comma follows. Make your sentences simple. You have a long run-on sentence up there. It could be cut to four sentences. As to the word would, although it is the past form of will, it is seldom used as such. Would is used to express the mood. I would like to eat now. (expresses the mood desire) I would donate blood if I am not diabetic. (expresses the condition) Barack Obama would not give in to the oil spill without a fight. (expresses determination) Allowing the rebel to vote would mean a violation of the right of suffrage. (expresses possibility of what may happen) The coach would have you on the team than on the streets. (expresses preference) Would you dance for me? (expresses request) Auntie and I would converse till the wee hours of the morning. (expresses habit) Would is sure. Should is tentative. This is a bonus. I hope you win.
@Opal26 (17694)
Hi siliguri~ Now calm down please. English is one of the most difficult and confusing languages even for me and if is my First and Only language! Don't get upset about grammar and don't let anyone on myLot make fun of you or correct your grammar! I don't know what you were trying to say so I can't figure out how "would" is the past tense of "will". Here is a couple of examples. I will go to the store. I would like to go to the store. Those are not really past tense sentences. The past tense of I will go would be I went to the store. So whoever is giving you English grammar lessons is wrong anyway! Just take it slowly, and I can tell you that your English is very good! I respond to alot of your discussions so I can tell you that and mean it! There are people here that I don't understand sometimes at all, but I would never make fun of them. I think that it is very brave of them to try to learn this very difficult language! I don't know if I could speak any of their languages! So, no one on this site has any right to make fun of anyone who is at least trying to learn a second very difficult language like English!
@Opal26 (17694)
OMG! Your teacher told you the past tense of will is would? Now I'm even confused! Do I need to go back to school with you? English was my BEST subject!I'm trying to help you and now don't know what to say! I will have to research this because it isn't making sense to me. I hope you do well on your test. And here I thought someone was picking on you here and all along it is your teacher!
@siliguri (4051)
then join me from now only..i'm not learning from any teacher i have been learn from one objective english grammar book yeah it is written over there that "would" is past of "will" if it is..so why we use sometime it to express future situation also..Really it suck my mind. Actually friend i want to be good in english grammar that's why i'm giving much more attention in this section..in my country their is a high demand of the persons who is good in english grammar and will get good job..i think you were understand why i lean so much in english Grammar..Any way you have support me a lot in mylot and solved many query that i have. and hope you will me carry your support in this way in future also..thanks for always being my good friend...
my teachers used to always make me do my own work during those English lessons..she said that i'm too good for her to teach. so i spent my English lesson sessions reading up on my favorite philosopher, Plato and that's how i began to understand the writings of Homer..and that's how the modern version of Homer is my hero hehe...sorry, just a bit of Mario trivia..
helloooo you if i'm not mistaken, using would in that way would make it a 'past future participle', which describes future events using words that are normally used in past tense hope it helps..
hehe...a lot of people don't
@wittynet (4132)
Siliguri, you're so lucky because you received so many responses. For me, urbandekay has given you the best answer.
@sanjani (125)
I have a same problem sorry i can't help because i only didn't understood it..