US Economy vs. Global Economy

For decades our government has sent hundreds of billions in aide, and jobs around the world in the name of Global Economic Growth. The hope was to help the rest of the world grow out these third world countries economies so they could advance like the rest of the world. One of the other hopes would be a safer world with more democracies, and less dictatorships. But, that doesn't seem to be the case, in many areas the government corruption is the only thing that has expanded, and many of the countries that we send aide to are just as bad as before. To make matters worse, the jobs that could have been used to grow us out of our repression have been moved to these third world countries. So what do you think is more important to the world: The US economy, or the Global Economy?
@Taskr36 (13925)
I think the majority of the aid we've sent to other countries has the opposite of the intended effect. Sending billions to Zimbabwe just gives more power to whatever evil dictator like Mugabe controls the country. Sometimes I feel it's a sink or swim situation. If all you do is carry a person in the water, you'll have to keep carrying them because they won't learn to swim. Crappy analogy, I know, but it seems true enough. Also, I think there are many people and cultures that are just not ready to, or don't want to evolve. Even today there are still Native American tribes who have nothing more advanced than spears and fire pits and put on war paint if they see a helicopter overhead. The difference is, nobody is trying to force evolution or technology on them. In South America they've learned to leave those tribes alone whereas in Africa there is this big push to make them more like Europe and the US. What you get is a bunch of Stone Age warlords with nuclear age weapons to torment their people with. I think the world economy is important, but letting our own economy suffer in some hope that helping other countries will "trickle down" back to us is playing a losing game. As a superpower the global economy is reliant on us for stability. At best hurting ourselves hoping it will improve other countries will bring us all to a weak level of mediocrity. At worst it could cause the global economy to crash and that appears to be the direction we're headed in.
I agree Taskr, and I hope that someone will wake up and set us all straight on this. It isn't our job to fix the world.
@laglen (19782)
I think that what is happening now is further proof that we need to keep our economy healthy BEFORE helping other countries. Why we continue to "help" is crazy. We actually borrow money to send somewhere else.
Pretty sad isn't it that we have to borrow money from China to keep the rest of the world safe? Why can't they do it themselves? And, in cases we are using their own money to keep other countries safe from them. Pretty crazy, I agree!!!
@laglen (19782)
Puts the whole - short the cable company to pay the electric company - to shame!
@spalladino (17925)
I believe that there are some countries that we need to stop supporting and others that we should continue to send aide to. Our primary focus, especially with our economy the way that it is and the effects of the oil spill, should be on the U.S.