What do you do with those $10 off coupons from department stores?

Once and a while we'll get a $10 coupon in the mail from a department store . . . like recently there was one from JC Penney. You can get $10 off a single purchase as long as it is over $10 (not including sales tax). At Kohl's, you can get Kohl's cash where it's $5 off a single purchase. I love these coupons, and I'll admit I can be cheap. I can get to these shops at a time when it's not so busy, so I'll use it just to get some items nearly free. At JC Penney, I used that coupon to get my daughter a Princess and the Frog nightgown (which she's been wanting) that was on clearance for 9 bucks plus a pair of slip on sneakers that was on clearance for $3. So with tax and all, I only paid a couple bucks for them. The cool thing was, an elderly lady gave me her coupon when I was shopping that day, so then I ended up with 2 of those coupon. I was able to also get a Princess and the Frog purse that was half off - just paid the sales tax and I got it for less than a dollar! With the Kohl's $5 cash, I got 6 greeting cards at 99 cents each since we have all these birthdays coming up . . . I only ended up paying for 1 card plus tax. I think they intended the coupons to be used for a much larger purchase, but of course, I read the fine print and just try to get some little items for nearly free. Anyone else take advantage of coupons like this in this manner?
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
Yeah, when I can, though I often find the durn things are expired before I can go use them. I do like the Old Navy ones though. I get a lot of things for the kids there.
That's happened here too. I love those Kohl's coupons we get in the mail every now and then. I give them to my hubby to go buy some work clothes as he keeps talking about getting them, but he never gets around to going. So then they expire and I'm thinking dang I could've used them!! Ooooo, does Old Navy give them out too? I'll have to get on their mailing list!!
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
They do, but it's more a reward program for buying stuff. They have a lot of promotions too. My favorite is the stuff n save bag. It's a decent sized shopping bag and everything you can fit inside is 20% off. They do that one 3 or 4 times a year.
That sounds like a cool deal!! I know a couple of our local second hand shop for kids . . . they have those bag stuffing days. Last year for 25 bucks, I could shove all the clothes in their provided bag up to 25 pieces. I got my daughter some really nice dress . . . but of course I had to do some serious ironing work on them - hee hee.
I love the $10 JCPenney's coupons! I used one last week to get a t-shirt for my son and a t-shirt for my boyfriend. The t-shirts were regularly $10 but on sale for $5.99. So, after my coupon for $10 off a $10 or more purchase, I only paid a little over $2 for two t-shirts!
Yay! That's great you found the coupon to work for you - yah, that deal for the shirts - not too shabby, eh?! I'm still looking out for another one of those JC Penney's coupons but haven't gotten it in the mail yet . . . oohhh, can't wait - ha ha!!
@puccagirl (7316)
• Israel
I think it is just clever to do it if you can, and I would probably do the same thing, given the opportunity. Where I live the fine print usually makes it impossible, though. A shame really!
Oh yes, you really have to read the fine print. I know I've gotten in long lines and finally read the fine print on the coupon - only to discover I couldn't use the coupon for what I wanted. Boooooo!! They are rather sneaky sometimes . . . and sometimes I can't find anything to purchase "deals" because of it (but at least they got me to go in the store).
@cutepenguin (6457)
I try to, but as a previous poster mentioned, we don't get coupons like these in Canada. I try to get bonus points or use coupons with sales, but it's really hard to find coupons.
I think the US might have too many coupons circulating - and probably most of them get unused. That means a lot of junkmail out here! Interesting that Canada doesn't make more use of the coupon system . . . is the cost of living much better in general out there?
@peavey (16856)
I don't use them often because I don't get the ones to the stores where I shop. Bed Bath and Beyond sometimes sends out some good ones, though. I do read the fine print and try to take advantage of them when I can. Ace Hardware sometimes has some good ones, too, like $5 off any purchase. I use those for things I need, anything from light bulbs to bird seed.
It depends on the store. I love the $10 coupons with NO restraint on how much you have to spend to get the $10 off (for example, $10 off a $50 purchase, which is BS if you ask me). I had a JcPenny's one a few weeks ago, for $10 off anything, and I planned on getting some sandals with it, but my sister stole it! And used it. Otherwise I get them about once a month from Victoria's Secret. So, it's pretty nice, and I definiteyl use them. Not usually on a big purchase, but usually just something that costs $15 so I end up only paying the difference ($5).
Yah, aren't those coupons great? But yah, not when you have to make a big purchase. I guess for some it's worth it because they end up spending that much anyway, but I never spend a whole $50 anywhere except the grocery store! The JC Penney one comes in once and a while - and I always take advantage of those. Aw - you sister stole yours??? I didn't know Victoria Secret's had them too . . . I'll have to see what I can do to get on their mailing list - hee hee!!! Hey, if you can get a couple pair of undies or some lotion, why not?!!
@cher913 (25890)
i am in canada and there is pretty much only one store that offers a $10- gift card, but only if you spend $50.! which i seldom do, so i dont use them too often.
We get some of those coupons too . . . spend a lot of money and you get a few bucks off!! I did recently get in the mail a $10 off a $20 purchase - that might be worth it (I told my husband to go so he can at least get a work shirt in - even better if he could go to the clearance section and find a couple shirts!). Yah, I don't use the coupons if you have to make a big purchase - I wouldn't have $50 to spend - hee hee.
@o0jopak0o (6406)
well i have use coupons to get 50% off for movie tickets. im a movie buff and those coupons are really great.
That's pretty good if you can get 50% off movies. Movies are definitely not cheap these days - add the popcorn and drink and then you're broke - ha ha!! We don't go to movies too often because we have little ones with us, but when we do go, we notice how much higher the prices have become.
I use those coupons every chance I get. Right now department stores are needing sales and I think they hope you will use them on the clearance racks so they can clear those out. To me, any manufacturer or department store that produces coupons likes to keep a relationship with the consumer. But for the next 2 years every dollar I do not have to spend makes me happy. I never was one to use coupons before but for the last 10 years or so I don't buy without a coupon unless it is fruit or something that does not produce a coupon. I have learned to save at least 40% off my grocery bill. I am so happy that you were able to save and find the things for your children. Keep couponing.
Yep, it seems like all the department stores must be hurting as they have many sales and it seems as if they are desperate for customers now. So why not give out coupons as a ploy to get them in, right? Oh yes, do take advantage of coupons when you get them (yah, I wish we could get coupons for stuff like fruits and vegetables!). It's almost like a game to see how much I can save at the grocery store!! I love finding stuff for my kids . . . especially when it ends up costing me literally nothing!!