The iron age village

@Porcospino (19548)
Denmark
Last night I visited a place called "The iron age village". The village was built in the 70's and it started as a kind of school project. The houses were built according to the tradition from the iron age. There were only two beds in the houses and the entire family (10 or 12 people or more) slept in those beds. In the middle of the room there was a fireplace where the family cooked their food and they also had an oven. Most families had some sheep or some cows and the animals and the people lived in the same house. It was very interesting to see the houses and hear about the way that they lived. I love visiting that kinds of museums and I think it is a nice way to learn more about the past. In the summer holidays it is possible to live in the village for one week. During that week the people who live there wear clothes from the iron age, eat food from the iron age and work like people from the iron age. I spent one week in the village many years ago when I was a child. We ate stinging nettle soup, and I didn't like it the taste but it was still an interesting experience. Have you ever visited that kind of museum? Did you find it interesting? If someone offered you a free holiday in that village would you accept the invitation? How would you feel about a week away from computers, cell phones and the other other things that we take for granted?
@topffer (36617)
• Singapore, Singapore
I visited this village near Lejre at the beginning, when it was a project of experimental archeology. I have always been interested by these projects. I have participated at another "iron age project" around the production of iron, from the building of a bloomery to the final object : there was an interesting cultural of archaeologists and craftsmen near the melting furnace . A week of holidays there would be also an interesting experience, even if I already know the taste of a nettle soup .
@Porcospino (19548)
• Denmark
That iron age project sounds interesting I spent a week in one of those villages when I was a child,, but that is almost 30 years ago and I think it could be interesting to spend a week there again. They are only looking for extended families (parents, children, uncles, aunts, cousins, grandparents etc) because they want the village to look as authentic as possible, so I would have to convince my family to join the project as well. That is probably not going to be that easy, but I am interested in history and the idea of spending some time in the village appeals to me.
@topffer (36617)
• Singapore, Singapore
You were lucky to do that. There is lot of fun for a child in a village like this. The only problem at Lejre are the tourists : I would not like to be watched like an animal in a zoo. If I remember, tourists were not allowed everyday. Is it always the same ?
@Porcospino (19548)
• Denmark
I think that the village is open for tourists from Monday to Friday, but it is closed during the weekend. I don't like the idea of being watched by the tourists either, but I guess we have to accept that if we want to live in the village. The village where I was is not Lejre, but I think it is very similar to Lejre. As far as I know the people who built the village where I was went to Lejre to get inspiration.
@qianyun6 (2069)
Such a place should be wonderful, is the village designed advisedly for travel? I haven't find a ancient-style place in my country. The only similar place is Dali, where I gone there four years ago. Half of the city is reserved its ancient style. But even though there, the way of living is not traditional too. If I can go to a place like the iron age village, I think it will be a great journey.
@Porcospino (19548)
• Denmark
The iron age village is an open air museum and it is open for tourists during the day, but it is also possible to live there during the summer months. You have to pay a small amount to live there, but it is very cheap way to spend your holiday. When I was a child my classmates and I spent some time in the village, it was many years ago, but I still remember the experience. Living there was very different from "just" reading about that period in a book.
• Brazil
Well, I've never been in a place like this, but it would certainly be an interesting experience. We could learn more about the culture and costoms of our ancestors, this experience could be considered an experience of liberation from all this technology with which we learn to live from little. It would be an interesting confrontation between our ways and costums of ancients people. I think I have a new perception about my life.