How far is going to far with your child?

My neighbor is 16 years old. She has basically raised her brother for one year. The mother works from 7 am to after midnight working two jobs. This poor child has to watch this baby and her 7 year old brother everyday. When her mother is home she still has to watch the baby. Well yesterday I sent her to the beach with my daughter and I watched the kids. Why did the mother get mad because the floor was sticky and curse her daughter out. Told her daughter she can leave and she will find someone else to watch the kids. That she should stab the child in her face with a knife. And so much more. The woman is down right wrong and I think it is time I talk with her again. The daughter told me her mother kicked her in the mouth and she chipped a tooth. The mother hit her in the head with a pot as well. She cried in my arms last night and I felt bad. The mother called to tell me to send her daughter home before she comes to get her. She wanted me to go home with her but I did not. I think the child should call cps on her mother. if I do it it will cause problems for me. I want a hotline number this child can call for help. She asked me if I would take her in my home I did tell her yes.
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
OMG what a horrible "mother" if thats what you want to call her. All that this girl does for her and she kicks her in the mouth. I would be calling the police and CPS on her. I feel so bad for this girl. I get so angry when kids of any age are abused and or neglected. Can't you call CPS annonymously? That won't get you in trouble. The mother won't know if its the daughter who called or someone else. This girl does not deserve to be treated this way and the mom needs mental help fast before she harms one of the other kids.
Cps just closed her case and I don't want to make it harder for the daughter to live there.
@lelin1123 (15644)
• Puerto Rico
What happens though if she beats her again and she ends up in the hospital. I can't understand hitting a child no matter how old, especially in the face. The daughter will be in my prays. There is nothing worse then a child getting abused in my opinion.
It really is a sad situation for everyone involved. It is sad for the mother because she is obviously finding life hard on so many level, both with the amount of work she is having to do to survive and on a relational level with her children. I can say without ever having even met the woman that she would feel tremendous amounts of guilt for the life that she is forcing her daughter to live and the way she relates to her, but probably just doesn't know what to do to change the situation. Then you have to feel sorry for all the kids in the situation. Through no fault of their own, they find themselves in an abusive situation that will scar them for the rest of their life, except for the grace of God! the hard thing is, if the police get involved what really happens. The oldest daughter can move out but it doesn't sound like she has been properly prepared for life, so it is likely she will end up just like her mum. Then there is the youngest children. It really is terrible. The worst part is that this is a story that you could repeat literally millions of times around the World. Families are falling apart and abuse is ever on the increase.
@Krisaea (114)
She is mean to her daugther. Do you think she is her real child? If so she reasons for treating the child like that. PLease do anything to save her before it is too late.
That poor girl. I was the oldest of four children in my family and my mother was a single parent for much of my teenage years because of the fact that my father had passed away. However, this didn't mean that I was expected to care for my brother and sister. My mother realized the fact that I was still a child myself and it didn't need to be my responsiblity to care for my younger siblings. I think that to ask that much of a child in the first place is a reason for a CPS call. You should help her to take the steps that she needs to make. Good luck to you both.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I would not have sent her home alone. That is abuse. It is sad that she is going through this. Someone should stand up for the girl. I would look for an anonymous child abuse hotline.
@Shar19 (8236)
That mother needs to be locked up in jail. The daughter is obviously crying out to you for help. You need to get involved for her sake before it is too late. What if it were your daughter? I think you would want an adult to help her too.
That is so terrible! You said in one response that CPS has closed the case, does that mean that there have already been reports of abuse? I guess this girl does not go to school because of the babysitting? There's got to be something that can be done to help this girl, she's being treated like a slave!
@cream97 (29166)
Hi, giftbagsandcom. Her mother is very abusive! Her child is being mistreated! I do agree that she should call the police on her mom. Her mom is beating her up and it is causing her to be in pain. She is so young trying to take care of the house and the baby plus her brother while her mom is at work. I know that you don't want to get involved, but somebody does. This mom of hers is a brutal monster! Her daughter has to be strong and brave enough to call the law on her! She is very mean to hit her daughter after all that she has done to help her mother out! This child does not belong in this home! Her mother is very dangerous! Seek some help and protection for this girl and her siblings!
@Ladyslipper (1330)
Parents don't have the right to hurt or abuse their child whether it's physical, emotional or mental. I've worked with an NGO before and volunteered for advocating the stop of violence against women and children. If I'm the neighbor I'd definitely report that incident specially if it happens a lot. Here in our country we have NGOs and government branch that can help the child if the abuse will be reported. It's obviously an act of violence against a child. She's just 16 years old and even if she's older than 16 she does not deserve a treatment like that specially from her mother. I hope all's well with that child.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
If someone has knowledge of a child being harmed and they do nothing, they are just as guilty. Problems or not, make the call. Don't wait until it's too late.
Poor child. Her mother is abusive. Having two jobs is not an excuse to treat her daughter badly. I think it is time to report this woman to the authorities because her acts are already beyond what is legal and right.
@eurekafemme (5881)
That is definitely a child abuse! That child should find support and get out of that place sooner.That won't be the last time her mother will beat her up. For sure there'll be more to come.For now, it is just a chipped tooth. What's next? A black eye? A burnt skin? Or her life? Please do something about her situation. You are the only one she can count on right now. You are the only one who can help her...
@sid556 (31005)
Hi Gifts, This mother is being abusive and needs to be reported. The number to call anonymous should be listed in the front of your phone book under Social Services. If not then call your local welfare and they will give you the number. She not only is being physically abusive but no 16 yr old should be working this many hours. At 16, she should be having fun with her friends and making memories. I understand her helping the family by watching her brother but all the time while the mom works 2 jobs is outrageeous. My daughters always helped me out with the babysitting and gave me a much cheaper rate but I did pay them and I always had a back-up sitter for if they were busy or just not up to it. It's too bad this girl did not open up to a school councellor or even her doctor...someone who would step in .
@newtalent (1114)
That is crazy. This child is a statistic. This is not her job to are for her siblings. She did not have these children. This is serious and it looks like or sounds like it is escalating in the wrong direction. This child needs medical help let alone therapy to realize this is not acceptable behavior. As much as you are afraid of repercussions for reporting. Imagine what she goes through because no one will step up and help stop it. This is a child in search of assistance. The other children are seeing this behavior that is not normal behavior. The number should be in the phone book or call the authorities . they will give you the number.