My dogs REALLT want puppies this time!!

Australia
I am now guessing that my dogs really want to produce a litter this time...my girl is on heat & it's like they know I am saving up to get her neutered. On Saturday & also earlier this evening, I have almost tripped over them in the hallway because they had knotted themselves together after doing the wild thing!! I can't help but giggle when the get knotted only because they try to drag each other around to where the other wants to go but it's also frustrating because they know I don't want puppies but there's no use trying to separated them as the boy ALWAYS breaks out...oh well, if they do have pups, it won't be hard to find homes for them & I know it's going to be the last time.
@Maggiepie (7821)
Wow! Thanks for the BR mark! I must be doing something right; yours is the second of three BRs I've received today! Wheee! Seriously, thank you! Maggiepie "Life is hard; it’s harder if you’re stupid." ~ John Wayne
You're very welcome! You must be doing something right to get 3 in 1 day :)
@Cutie18f (9563)
Well, it seems like you will be having puppies very soon. Just brace yourself for the care of some adorable pups. You know how hard it is to raise them and later on give them away. That's a real heart-breaker.
I am bracing myself...I think I will start buying little cans of puppy food now so I don't have to worry about it when the pups are ready for food...To me, it's not really a heart breaker to get rid of the puppies as I've spent my time with them...it was just a heart breaker when my fave pup from their first litter together went to a new home because he was the last to go & I started letting him sleep in bed with me & his parents...he was sooo adorable but he lives with his sister & has a great home.
@aquariand (466)
Its a bit irresponsible keeping the male and female dogs near each other to give them the chance to get stuck together isn't it ?, especially if you say you dont want them to have puppies. Dogs are animals and will breed without supervision whether they want to or not they just go on instinct there is a dog pill you can buy to stop them having puppies if you get the girl to the vet in time. it is a huge responsibility and cost breeding dogs, getting them injected, making sure they are healty feeding them, finding them good homes where you know they will get looked after and not just taken to the dog pound.
I can see how you think it's irresponsible not to keep them apart but I have tied separating the dogs but the boy is constantly breaking out - he even broke a door & I'm in a rented house! The only reason I don't want pups is because they are way too much work. I know that they will go to good homes...we never let puppies go to someone unless we know they're going to a good home.
@Maggiepie (7821)
Methinks you are anthropomorphizing. Even if they really could "know" you don't want puppies, they aren't wired to ignore nature's imperative to reproduce! That said, I'm just as glad that you're not only positive the pups can find good, responsible homes to be cared for all their hopefully very long lives, but that it will be the last litter! There are just far too many starving, homeless animals available for adoption for any compassionate owner to allow one's pet to produce offspring! Besides, birth is rough on the moms. Maggiepie “Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.” ~ Pope John Paul II
I know it's in their nature to try to reproduce lol...my girl has had a couple of phantom pregnancies as they weren't really trying those times so I think that's why I said they seem to "know" lol...Staffies are always easy to get new homes for...I know the birth is hard on mum,,,my girl tends to go even more grey with each litter that she has & she will only be 6 in November!
@inu1711 (5288)
If you are sure you'll find good homes for all the puppies, it will be fine. But keep in mind that a staffie's litter may have up to 9 puppies, with an average of 4 to 6. You should also think of the expenses for taking care of the new mother, for the immunisations of the little babies and for their food. Don't forget the mess they do until they are big enough to leave the litter. Otherwise, you should know you still can neuter your staffie girl when she is not in heat any more. (that would be in a week or two from now) Let us know the decision you'll take. Good luck!
I have found good homes for the first 2 litters...I am sure it won't be a problem this time as we are always asked when they will have puppis again when we're out walking them...I have a area where I know I can put mum & pups if she has any & it will be easy to hose down.